Genome-wide Identification, Phylogenetic Analysis, and Expression Profiling of CONSTANS-like (COL) Genes in Vitis vinifera
- 170 Downloads
The CONSTANS (CO) gene plays an important role in the flowering of plants. However, the other precise roles of the CO gene are poorly understood. We carried out a genomic census and analysis of expression patterns for CONSTANS-like genes in Vitis vinifera (VviCOLs) to reveal the molecular characteristics of VviCOLs. Twelve VviCOLs were identified and 11 of their full-length complementary DNAs were cloned. Multiple sequence alignment suggested the VviCOLs contained B-box and CCT conserved domains. We further classified the VviCOLs into three groups according to the variability of the second B-box domain. Synteny analysis showed that eight orthologous gene pairs were identified between grapevine and Arabidopsis, suggesting that eight pairs may descend from a common evolutionary ancestor. Tissue expression analysis of COL genes in cv. Pinot Noir showed VviCOL11a and VviCOL11b were specifically expressed in flower bud, whereas VviCOL16b was only expressed in leaves. Ten VviCOLs were expressed in the developing ovule and six of them showed higher expression in the ovule of cv. Thompson Seedless than that of cv. Pinot Noir, indicating that VviCOLs were involved in the process of seed development or ovule abortion. Furthermore, nine of twelve VviCOLs were expressed in cv. Pinot Noir leaves and all of these nine genes had a response to exogenous hormone application. In summary, our findings provide a new insight into the further studies of VviCOLs, especially in terms of seed development and hormone response.
KeywordsVitis vinifera CONSTANS-like Seed development Hormone stress Expression profiles
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.31372023) and Modern Agro-industry Technology Research System (No. CARS-30-yz-7).
CHZ conceived and designed the experiments. LW and JYX performed the experiments. LW, WND, YJT, PJG, and CHZ analyzed the data and manuscript modification. CHZ and YJW contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools. LW and CHZ contributed to the writing of the manuscript.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
- Burland TG (2009) DNASTAR’s Lasergene sequence analysis software. Methods Mol Biol 132:71–91Google Scholar
- Deng XD, Fan XZ, Li P, Fei XW (2015) A photoperiod-regulating gene CONSTANS is correlated to lipid biosynthesis in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Biomed Res Int 715020Google Scholar
- Jaillon O, Aury JM, Noel B, Policriti A, Clepet C, Casagrande A, Choisne N, Aubourg S, Vitulo N, Jubin C, Vezzi A, Legeai F, Hugueney P, Dasilva C, Horner D, Mica E, Jublot D, Poulain J, Bruyere C, Billault A, Segurens B, Gouyvenoux M, Ugarte E, Cattonaro F, Anthouard V, Vico V, Del Fabbro C, Alaux M, Di Gaspero G, Dumas V, Felice N, Paillard S, Juman I, Moroldo M, Scalabrin S, Canaguier A, Le Clainche I, Malacrida G, Durand E, Pesole G, Laucou V, Chatelet P, Merdinoglu D, Delledonne M, Pezzotti M, Lecharny A, Scarpelli C, Artiguenave F, Pe ME, Valle G, Morgante M, Caboche M, Adam-Blondon AF, Weissenbach J, Quetier F, Wincker P (2007) The grapevine genome sequence suggests ancestral hexaploidization in major angiosperm phyla. Nature 449:463–467CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu H, Dong S, Sun D, Liu W, Gu F, Liu Y, Guo T, Wang H, Wang J, Chen Z (2016) CONSTANS-like 9 (OsCOL9) interacts with receptor for activated C-kinase 1(OsRACK1) to regulate blast resistance through salicylic acid and ethylene signaling pathways. PLoS ONE 11:eo166249Google Scholar
- Saitou N, Nei M (1987) The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evolut 4:406Google Scholar
- Sun B, Cao HN, He W, Gong YM, Zong CL (2009) Study on embryo abortion stage of pseudoparthenocarpy seedless grape. J Agric Sci Yanbian Univ 31(3):159–164Google Scholar
- Takase T, Kakikubo Y, Nakasone A, Nishiyama Y, Yasuhara M, Tokioka-Ono Y, Kiyosue T (2011) Characterization and transgenic study of CONSTANS-LIKE8 (COL8) gene in Arabidopsis thaliana: expression of 35S:COL8 delays flowering under long-day conditions. Plant Biotechnol 28:439–446CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang YJ, Jiang SP, Liu XN, Zhang JX (2007) Mechanism of embryo abortion in stenopermocarpic seedless grape. Acta BotBoreal OccidentSin 27(10):1987–1993Google Scholar
- Wong ACS, Hecht VFG, Picard K, Diwadkar P, Laurie RE, Wen J, Mysore K, Macknight RC, Weller JL (2014) Isolation and functional analysis of CONSTANS-LIKE genes suggests that a central role for CONSTANS in flowering time control is not evolutionarily conserved in Medicago truncatula. Front Plant Sci 5:486CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yano M, Katayose Y, Ashikari M, Yamanouchi U, Monna L, Fuse T, Baba T, Yamamoto K, Umehara Y, Nagamura Y, Sasaki T (2000) Hd1, a major photoperiod sensitivity quantitative trait locus in rice, is closely related to the Arabidopsis flowering time gene CONSTANS. Plant Cell 12:2473–2483CrossRefGoogle Scholar