Culture of yeast cells immobilized by alginate-chitosan microcapsules in aqueous-organic solvent biphasic system
- 4 Downloads
Immobilization biocatalysis is a potential technology to improve the activity and stability of biocatalysts in nonaqueous systems for efficient industrial production. Alginate-chitosan (AC) microcapsules were prepared as immobilization carriers by emulsification-internal gelation and complexation reaction, and their contribution on facilitating the growth and metabolism of yeast cells were testified successfully in culture medium-solvent biphasic systems. The cell growth in AC microcapsules is superior to that in alginate beads, and the cells in both immobilization carriers maintain much higher activity than free cells, which demonstrates AC microcapsules can confer yeast cells the ability to resist the adverse effect of solvent. Moreover, the performance of AC microcapsules in biphasic systems could be improved by adjusting the formation of outer polyelectrolyte complex (PEC) membrane to promote the cell growth and metabolic ability under the balance of resisting solvent toxicity and permitting substrate diff usion. Therefore, these findings are quite valuable for applying AC microcapsules as novel immobilization carriers to realize the biotransformation of value-added products in aqueous-solvent biphasic systems.
Keywordalginate-chitosan (AC) microcapsules immobilization biocatalysis aqueous-solvent biphasic system cell growth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We thank Dr. Xin Xiong (Natural and Medical Sciences Institute at University of Tübingen, Markwiesenstr. 55, 72770 Reutlingen, Germany), and Prof. Dr. Rumen Krastev (University Reutlingen, Alteburgstr. 150, 72762 Reutlingen, Germany) for the constructive discussion and communication about biocatalysis-related issues.
- Goranov B, Blaziiva D, Kostov G, Denkova Z, Germanova Y. 2013. Lactic acid fermentation with encapsulated Lactobacillus Casei ssp. Rhamnosus ATCC11979(NBIMCC1013) in alginate–chitosan matrices. Bulg. J. Agric. Sci., 19(2): 101–104, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258047099_Lactic_acid_fermentation_with_encapsulated_Lactobacillus_casei_SSP_rhamnosus_ATCC_11979_NBIMCC_1013_in_alginate_chitosan_matrices.Google Scholar
- Hou D D, Li H J, Song H Y, Dai X M, Yu W T, Liu X D, Ma X J. 2012. Size and strength of alginate–chitosan microcapsules in nonaqueous system. CIESC Journal, 63(5): 1 522–1 528.(in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Wu Z L, Yuan Y J, Hu P, Hu Z D. 1998. Studies on the twoliquid–phase culture of Japanese yew( Taxus cuspidata ) for the production of paclitaxel. Chinese Traditional Herbal Drugs, 29(9): 589–592.(in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Yang Z Y, Ni Y, Sun Z H. 2009. Recent trend of nonaqueous enzymology and biocatalysis in nonaqueous media. Chinese Journal of Biotechnology, 25(12): 1 779–1 783.(in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Zhang F, Xue Y, Li L, Wang M. 2010. Asymmetric reduction of 3, 5–Bistrifluoromethylphenyl acetophenone by immobilized Saccharomyces rhodotorula in biphasic system. Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, 17(2): 125–129.(in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar