Preparation of low molecular weight Sargassum fusiforme polysaccharide and its anticoagulant activity
Heparin has been used as an anticoagulant drug for many years, but it has significant side effects. In the search for good substitutes, low molecular weight (MW) polysaccharides from Sargassum fusiforme have been examined and confirmed to possess biological activities. Here, S. fusiforme polysaccharides (SFP) were extracted and subjected to a hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) oxidation method for the preparation of low-MW SFP (LSFP). The effects of temperature, pH, and H2O2 concentration on the degradation process were also examined. Several LSFP of 36, 9, 5.7, and 2.7 kDa were obtained under different conditions, and their anticoagulant activities studied in vitro. The results showed that SFP and LSFP prolonged activated partial thromboplastin (APTT), prothrombin (PT) and thrombin times (TT) significantly, indicating that these low MW polysaccharides possessed anticoagulant activity in the intrinsic, extrinsic, and common coagulation pathways. As these effects were related to the MW of the polysaccharides in APTT and TT but not in PT, the contents of the monosaccharide fucose and sulfate and the polysaccharide MW could have exerted combined effects. The details of this mechanism require further verification.
Keywordanticoagulant activity Sargassum fusiforme low molecular weight degradation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bouhlal R, Haslin C, Chermann J C, Colliec-Jouault S, Sinquin C, Simon G, Cerantola S, Riadi H, Bourgougnon N. 2011. Antiviral activities of sulfated polysaccharides isolated from Sphaerococcus coronopifolius (Rhodophytha, Gigartinales) and Boergeseniella thuyoides (Rhodophyta, Ceramiales). Marine Drugs, 9 (12): 1 187–1 209.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen B J, Shi M J, Cui S, Hao S X, Hider R C, Zhou T. 2016. Improved antioxidant and anti-tyrosinase activity of polysaccharide from Sargassum fusiforme by degradation. Int ernational Journal of Biological Macromol ecules, 92: 92–715.Google Scholar
- Chen X M, Nie W J, Yu G Q, Li Y L, Hu Y S, Lu J X, Jin L Q. 2012. Antitumor and immunomodulatory activity of polysaccharides from Sargassum fusiforme. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 50 (3–4): 695–700.Google Scholar
- Cheng Z L, Wu X N. 2011. Study on the anticoagulant activities and promoting effect on human umbilical vein endothelial cells proliferation activity of fucoidan from Sargassum fusiforme Setchel. Food Research and Development, 32 (4): 165–167. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Kim K I, Seo H D, Lee H S, Jo H Y, Yang H C. 1998. Studies on the blood anticoagulant polysaccharide isolated from hot water extracts of Hizikia fusiforme. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 2 7 (6): 1 204–1 210.Google Scholar
- Liu C C, Zhou Y, Wu Y R, Gan J H, Zhou P G. 2004. Screening of the components with blood-anticoagulant activity from marine algae Sargassum fusiforme and Undaria pinnatifida. Journal of Fisheries of China, 28 (4): 473–476. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Pang X X, Wang X. 2011. Research progress in tthrombosis and its mechanism. Medical Recapitulate, 17 (11): 1 613–1 616. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Wang J. 2010. Study on the Structure, Derivatives and Activities of Fucoidan Extracted from Laminia Japonica. University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (Institute of Oceanography), Beijing, China. p.75-76. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Wang N, Feng Y F, Fan H P, Ma L, Wang D L, Wang D L, Ai Z L. 2013. Study on the difference of anticoagulant activity in vitro of crude polysaccharide of Jujube. Journal of Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology, 13 (12): 34–39. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Wang S C, Bligh S W A, Shi S S, Wang Z T, Hu Z B, Crowder J, Branford-White C, Vella C. 2007. Structural features and anti-HIV-1 activity of novel polysaccharides from red algae Grateloupia longifolia and Grateloupia filicina. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 41 (4): 369–375.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Z E, Liu X L, Yang J Y, Liu C C. 2008. Study on anticoagulant activity of sulfated polysaccharides from Hizikia fusiformis. Journal of Anhui Agricultural Science s, 36 (18): 7 505–7 508, 7 542. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Zhang Z, Liu J G, Liu J D. 2002. Study review of Hizikia fusiformis. Marine Fisheries Research, 23 (3): 67–74. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar