100 GHz free spectral range-tunable multi-wavelength fiber laser using single–multi–single mode fiber interferometer
- 65 Downloads
Six single–multi–single (SMS) mode fiber-based Mach–Zehnder Interferometers (MZI) with different spooling radii are demonstrated as spatial mode filtering elements for multi-wavelength laser generation. Free spectral range (FSR) tuning of the multi-wavelength output generated is realized by alternating between the six MZIs, which have different macro-bending losses. Additional FSR tuning is also realized by changing the spooling radius of the two-mode step index fiber section within the MZI setups from 80 mm to 30 mm, giving an FSR tuning range of 0.89–0.99 nm. All generated multi-wavelength outputs show high stability over a test period of 100 min. The proposed multi-wavelength lasers are highly suitable for various microwave photonics applications the field of such as microwave signal source generation and microwave photonic filtering.
Funding for this work was supported by Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE), Malaysia under the Grant GA 010-2014 (ULUNG) as well as the University of Malaya under the Grants RU 013-2018 and HiCoE Phase II Funding.
- 1.D. Jäger, A. Stöhr, Microwave photonics—from concepts to applications, in Proceedings of German Micronic Conference (GeMiC 2005), ed. by W. Menzel (Ulm, 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.D. Grodensky, D. Kravitz, A. Zadok, Ultra-wideband microwave-photonic noise radar based on optical waveform generation. IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 24, 839–841 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.S. Pappert, C. Sun, R. Orazi, T. Weiner, Microwave fiber optic links for shipboard antenna applications, in Phased Array Systems and Technology, 2000. Proceedings. 2000 IEEE International Conference (IEEE, 2000), pp. 345–348Google Scholar
- 10.B. Cabon, Y. Le Guennec, M. Lourdiane, G. Maury, Photonic mixing in RF modulated optical links, in Lasers and Electro-Optics Society, 2006. LEOS 2006. 19th Annual Meeting of the IEEE (IEEE, 2006), pp. 408–409Google Scholar
- 31.N.A. Ahmad, S.H. Dahlan, N.A. Cholan, H. Ahmad, I.S. Amiri, Z.C. Tiu, Dual-wavelength thulium fluoride fiber laser based on SMF–TMSIF–SMF interferometer as potential source for microwave generation in 100-GHz region. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 54, 1–7 (2018)Google Scholar
- 32.G.-K. Chang, C. Liu, 1–100 GHz microwave photonics link technologies for next-generation WiFi and 5G wireless communications, in Microwave Photonics (MWP), 2013 International Topical Meeting (IEEE, 2013), pp. 5–8Google Scholar