Analytical modeling of threshold voltage and subthreshold swing in Si/Ge heterojunction FinFET
- 29 Downloads
This paper presents an analytical model of threshold voltage (Vth) and subthreshold swing (S) for a tri-gate (TG) heterojunction n-FinFET. The heterojunction is formed between the silicon source and germanium channel. The electrical parameters are analyzed by solving three-dimensional (3-D) Poisson’s equation with the aid of superposition principle. Based on the 3-D potential function and the minimum potential position in the channel, Vth and S are modeled. The model is validated against TCAD simulations. The modeled Vth and S are verified for variation of channel length (Lf), workfunction, oxide thickness (tox), drain-to-source voltage (VDS), gate-to-source voltage (VGS), channel concentration and fin width (Tfin). The models developed for Vth and S in the TG heterojunction FinFET are evaluated for its homojunction equivalent silicon structure, and found to exhibit excellent agreement with TCAD results.
This work is an outcome of project under CSIR-EMR-II (Sanction No. 22 (0737)17/EMR-II), Govt. of India awarded to Electronics and Communication Engineering department, NIT Silchar.
- 1.X. Huang, W.C. Lee, C. Kuo, D. Hisamoto, L. Chang, J. Kedzierski, E. Anderson, H. Takeuchi, Y.K. Choi, K. Asano, V. Subramanian, T.J. King, J. Bokor, C. Hu, Sub 50-nm FinFET: PMOS (Int. Electron Devices Meeting Technical Dig, Washington, 1999), pp. 67–70Google Scholar
- 8.V.K. Mishra, R.K. Chauhan, Impact of Ge substrate on drain current of trigate N-FinFET, in Int. Conference Adv. Comput. Commun. Inform. (ICACCI), pp 1976–1980 (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.K. Kurosawa, Y. Maezono, J.-I. Miyano, T. Motoyama, A. Yokotani, GeO2 and SiO2 thin film preparation with CVD using ultraviolet excimer lamps. J Phys IV France 11, Pr3–739-Pr3–745 (2001).Google Scholar
- 20.A. Sharma, A.A. Goud, K. Roy, Sub-10 nm FinFETs and tunnel-FETs: from devices to systems, in 2015 design, automation and test in Europe Conference and Exhibition (DATE), Grenoble, pp 1443–1448 (2015)Google Scholar
- 21.S. Sinha, G. Yeric, V. Chandra, B. Cline, Y. Cao, Exploring sub-20nm FinFET design with predictive technology models, in DAC design automation conference, San Francisco, pp 283–288 (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Matlab 2013a, The MathWorks, Natick (2013)Google Scholar
- 23.Synopsys TCAD Sentaurus Device Manual (Synopsys Inc, Mountain View, 2012)Google Scholar
- 24.Y. Tsividis, C.M. Andrew, The four-terminal MOS transistor. Operation and modeling of the MOS transistor, 3rd ed. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2011, pp. 151–242Google Scholar