Various pulsed laser deposition methods for preparation of silver-sensitised glass and paper substrates for surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy
- 48 Downloads
Silver nanoparticle films on glass and paper were prepared using vacuum pulsed laser deposition, and various methods of atmospheric pulsed laser deposition, where ablated material forms a nanoparticle aerosol near the target and is delivered in a gas flow to the substrate. The performance of the films for surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) was investigated using a 10–4 M aqueous solution of rhodamine 6G organic dye. The SERS sensitivity was quantified in terms of the apparent enhancement factor and the signal-to-noise ratio. For the films made by supersonic atmospheric pulsed laser deposition, the apparent enhancement factor was found to be 15,000, which is 150 times higher than the value for a commercial silver nanoparticle paper-based substrate. This study demonstrates the utility of atmospheric pulsed laser deposition for the fabrication of noble metal nanoparticle films, and offers new approaches to tailoring the particle morphology for high SERS performance.
This research was supported by Science Foundation Ireland under Investigator Project 12/IP/1662, and Irish Research Council under Grant GOIPG/2016/308. We acknowledge the help of Ms Megan Canavan in making the SEM images.
- 2.C. D’Andrea, M.J. Lo Faro, G. Bertino, P.M. Ossi, F. Neri, S. Trusso, P. Musumeci, M. Galli, N. Cioffi, A. Irrera, F. Priolo, B. Fazio, Decoration of silicon nanowires with silver nanoparticles for ultrasensitive surface enhanced Raman scattering. Nanotechnology 27, 375603 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.J.J. Gough, K.E. Siewerska, S. Mehigan, D. Hanlon, C. Backes, Z. Gholamvand, B.M. Szydłowska, W.J. Blau, E. McCabe, A.L. Bradley, Influence of graphene oxide/Ag nanoparticle composites on the fluorescence properties of organic dyes. J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 17, 8901–8911 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.R.W. Eason, D.B. Chrisey (eds.), Pulsed Laser Deposition of Thin Films: Applications-Led Growth of Functional Materials (Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, 2007)Google Scholar
- 21.T.M. Khan, A. Pokle, J.G. Lunney, Atmospheric pulsed laser deposition of plasmonic nanoparticle films of silver with flowing gas and flowing atmospheric plasma. Appl. Phys. A 124, 265301 (2018)Google Scholar
- 22.Ocean Optics. SERS_Product-Sheet. https://oceanoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/SERS_Product-Sheet.pdf. Accessed 30 July 2018.