Combined green synthesis and theoretical study of Ag/Co nanoparticles from biomass materials
- 47 Downloads
A ‘green’ approach which is considered safe was explored in the synthesis and theoretical analysis of bimetallic silver/cobalt nanoparticles (Ag/Co BNPs), using aqueous extract of an indigenous Canna indica (leaf part) as reducing and stabilizing agents. Optimal concentration for the synthesis was achieved by varying precursor solution concentrations at room temperature. Visual evidence of nanoparticle formation was observed by change in colour of the reaction medium. Study of the optical activity of the nanoparticles using UV–Vis spectrophotometer and photoluminescence revealed surface plasmon resonance and an intense emission, respectively. Further characterizations confirmed formation of Ag/Co BNPs using transmission electron microscopy, Fourier transfer infra-red spectroscopy and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. The optical characteristics displayed by Ag/Co BNPs is a suggestion of its possible application in colorimetric metal nanoparticle-mediated sensors, which was further corroborated by the result obtained from theoretical study.
Authors acknowledge Mr. Shitole Joseph of iThemba Labs, South Africa for the characterization of the nanoparticles. Covenant University is appreciated for sponsoring this publication.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.C.O. Ehi-Eromosele, B.I. Ita, E.E. Iweala, IJST Trans. A Sci. 42(1), 209–217 (2018)Google Scholar
- 16.R. Sarkar, P. Kumbhakar, A.K. Mitra, Dig. J. Nanomater. Biostruct. 5, 491–496 (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.N. Meye-Misso, R. Leonid, S. Obiang, N.J. Croix, O.J. Privat, O.A. Felix, O. Engonga, L. Clément, EJBAS 5, 80–86 (2018)Google Scholar
- 23.K. Maaz, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 2007, 308 (2007)Google Scholar
- 24.E. Condon, Phys. Rev. 27, 640–660 (1928)Google Scholar
- 29.A.A. Akinsiku, E.O. Dare, K.O. Ajanaku, J.A. Adekoya, J. Ayo-Ajayi, JMES 9(3), 902–908 (2018)Google Scholar
- 30.Akinsiku AA, Dare EO, Ajanaku KO, Ajani OO, Olugbuyiro JAO, Siyanbola TO, Elude O, Emetere ME (2018) Int. J. Biomater. 2018, Article ID 9658080Google Scholar