Study on the velocity band gap characteristics of photonic crystal under the relativistic conditions
- 41 Downloads
The periodic dielectric slabs are investigated. The reflection and transmission characteristics of electromagnetic wave are researched when photonic crystals are moved at a uniform velocity close to the light speed under the relativistic conditions. When the motion direction of photonic crystal is perpendicular to the propagation direction of electromagnetic wave, the electromagnetic band gap is formed alternately by the reflection spectrum of photonic crystal changed with velocity. The gap is different from the traditional electromagnetic band gap, which is not a function of the spectrum but corresponding to the velocity. The peculiar phenomenon generated by electromagnetic wave at different velocity band is called velocity band gap. The velocity band gap is affected by the frequency of electromagnetic wave, period of photonic crystal, permittivity and other parameters. It varies periodically in the whole velocity range and decreases with the increasing velocity. The velocity band gap is expanded and moved to the low velocity interval with the period of photonic crystal increasing. When the difference in permittivity of the two adjacent dielectric slabs becomes higher and the frequency of electromagnetic wave increases, the velocity band gap is changed accordingly. The change is similar to the state in which a spring fixed at one end is stretched, but the change in velocity band gap is not uniform.
- 9.H.-F. Zhang, L. Ma, S.-B. Liu, Periodic band gap structure for unmagnetized plasma photonic crystals. Acta Photonica Sin. 37(8), 1566–1570 (2008). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 16.Q.-C. He, Y.-X. Huang, The general solution for the problem of a plane electromagnetic wave reflected and transmitted from the interface between a stationary dielectric medium and a dielectric medium moving in an arbitrary direction. Acta Phys. Sin. 48(6), 1044–1051 (1999). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 19.X.-H. Meng, M.-J. Wang, The transitive relationship on energy flux density of electromagnetic wave in multilayer medium propagating in arbitrary direction. J. Lanzhou Univ. Technol. 42(6), 164–167 (2016). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 20.M.-J. Wang, Y.-L. Li, J.-D. Xu, Q.-F. Dong, H. Zhang, Propagation of electromagnetic wave and transformations of fields in moving multi-layer medium. Nat. Sci. J. Hainan Univ. 28(2), 121–125 (2010). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 21.M.-J. Wang, Y.-L. Li, J.-D. Xu, X.-N. Zhang, The characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagated in a moving multi-layed medium. J. Anhui Normal Univ. (Nat. Sci.) 34(2), 137–141 (2011). (in Chinese) Google Scholar