GaN/AlxGa1−xN/GaN heterostructure IMPATT diode for D-band applications
- 64 Downloads
In this paper, a novel structural impact ionization avalanche transit time (IMPATT) diode configured by GaN/AlxGa1−xN/GaN heterostructure is investigated at the operation frequency of D-Band. Simulation results show that, with Al composition x varies from 0.2 to 0.6, a more localized avalanche region width is obtained, the device breakdown voltage increases gradually, while the RF output power and the DC-to-RF conversion efficiency have also shown significant improvement as compared with the GaN homostructure IMPATT diode. The highest values of the RF output power density and the DC-to-RF conversion efficiency of GaN/Al0.4Ga0.6N/GaN heterostructure are obtained as 1.56 MW/cm2 and 21.99%, larger than that of 1.02 MW/cm2 and 16.37% for GaN homostructure IMPATT diode. Meanwhile, the lowest Q factor can be achieved, which implies that heterostructure IMPATT diodes exhibit better stability and higher growth rate of microwave oscillation compared with conventional IMPATT diodes.
This work was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant 61674117, in part by the Key Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant 61434006 and in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant 61634005.
- 4.B. Chakrabarti, D. Ghosh, L.P. Mishra, M. Mitra, In. J. Sci. Eng. Res. 3(2), 1–6 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.K.K. Chandramohan, R.U. Khan, B.B. Pal, IETE. J. Res. 40(5–6), 261–265 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.S. Banerjee, A. Acharyya, J.P. Banerjee, Act. and Passi. Electro. Compon.. 2013, 1–7 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.P.R. Tripathy, S.K. Choudhury, S.P. Pati, Proc. AIP 1832(1), 120015 (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.G.N. Dash, J. Pradhan, S.K. Swain, S.R. Pattanaik, EDSSC Proc. IEEE 1–2 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/EDSSC.2013.6628115
- 23.Synopsys, TCAD Sentaurus Tutorial, Copyright © 2013 Synopsys, Inc. All rights reservedGoogle Scholar
- 34.H. Eisele, G.I. Haddad, in Modern, ed. by S. M. Sze (Wiley, New York, 1998)Google Scholar