Multiferroic (Nd,Fe)-doped PbTiO3 thin films obtained by pulsed laser deposition
- 49 Downloads
We report the successful growth of multiferroic (Nd,Fe)-doped PbTiO3 thin films with the composition (Pb0.88Nd0.08)(Ti0.93Fe0.05Mn0.02)O3 (PNFT) using pulsed laser deposition. The deposited films have been investigated by XRD, SEM, energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), secondary-ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS), atomic force microscopy, magnetic force microscopy, piezoforce microscopy, spectroscopic ellipsometry (SE) and dielectric spectroscopy measurements. PNFT films deposited on different substrates (MgO, SrTiO3 and Nb:SrTiO3) are (001) oriented, preserving the orientation of the single-crystal substrates. EDS mapping and SIMS across the film thickness probed the uniform distribution of all the elements. The refractive index and extinction coefficient have been obtained with the SE software package and refined with an optical-graded model. Magnetic domains and ferroelectric domains have been evidenced at microscopic scale. Good dielectric properties and low loss, comparable to those of bulk materials, have been obtained.
Financial support from Joint Project CNR, Romanian Academy “Study and Development of Single-Phase Multiferroic Perovskite Ceramic and Thin Films for Multifunctional Devices” is gratefully acknowledged.
- 7.S.A. Larregola, J.C. Pedregosa, M. Alguero, R. Jimenez, M. Garcia-Hernandez, M.T. Fernandez-Diaz, J.A. Alonso, Novel near-room-temperature type I multiferroic: Pb(Fe0.5Ti0.25W0.25)O3 with coexistence of ferroelectricity and weak ferromagnetism. Chem. Mater. 24, 2664–2672 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.W. Peng, N. Lemée, J.-L. Dellis, V.V. Shvartsman, P. Borisov, W. Kleemann, Z. Trontelj, J. Holc, M. Kosec, R. Blinc, M.G. Karkut, Epitaxial growth and magnetoelectric relaxor behavior in multiferroic 0.8Pb(Fe1/2Nb1/2)O3-0.2Pb(Mg1/2W1/2)O3 thin films. Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 132501–132507 (2009)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.F. Craciun, M. Cernea, V. Fruth, M. Zaharescu, I. Atkinson, N. Stanica, L.C. Tanase, L. Diamandescu, A. Iuga, C. Galassi, Novel multiferroic (Pb1 – 3x/2Ndx)(Ti0.98–yFeyMn0.02)O3 ceramics with coexisting ferroelectricity and ferromagnetism at ambient temperature. Mater. Des. 110, 693–704 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.F. Craciun, F. Cordero, B.S. Vasile, V. Fruth, M. Zaharescu, I. Atkinson, R. Trusca, L. Diamandescu, L.C. Tanase, P. Galizia, M. Cernea, C. Galassi, Combined use of Mössbauer spectroscopy, XPS, HRTEM, dielectric and anelastic spectroscopy for estimating incipient phase separation in lead titanate-based multiferroics. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 20, 14652–14663 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.A.K. Jonscher, Dielectric Relaxation in Solids (Chelsea Dielectric Press, London, 1983)Google Scholar