A two-stage solar collector using a non-tracking conical concentrator and a glass lens for PV-TEG hybrid system
- 59 Downloads
In this paper, a newly designed two-stage solar collector using a non-tracking conical concentrator and a glass lens has been demonstrated for the application in hybrid photo-thermo-electric system (HPTES). The revealed two-stage solar collector system is very simple as well as economical with respect to the solar concentrators which have complicated lens and parabolic concentrators. The thermal efficiency of the hybrid solar concentrators was found to be 52.1−62.5%. The concentration ratio of the designed conical concentrator was 4. The HSPTES was fabricated by attaching the thermo-electric device to the bottom of the solar cell using a thermally conductive material. The dimensions of the photovoltaic cell and thermo-electric generator were 77 mm (diameter) and 40 mm × 40 mm × 4 mm, respectively. The photo-thermo-electric properties of the HPTES were investigated under the illumination intensity in the range of 45–90 mW/cm2.
The authors are also very thankful to the Center for Advanced Materials (CAM), Qatar University for providing exclusive support during the work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.D. Narducci, P. Bermel, B. Lorenzi, N. Wang, K. Yazawa, Solar Thermoelectric Generators, Hybrid and Fully Thermoelectric Solar Harvesting. Springer Berlin 2018, pp. 45–61Google Scholar
- 5.K.-T. Park, S.-M. Shin, A.S. Tazebay, H.-D. Um, J.-Y. Jung, S.-W. Jee, M.-W. Oh, S.-D. Park, B. Yoo, C. Yu, Lossless hybridization between photovoltaic and thermoelectric devices, Sci. Rep. 3 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.H. Chang, M.-J. Kao, K.D. Huang, S.-L. Chen, Z.-R. Yu, A novel photo-thermoelectric generator integrating dye-sensitized solar cells with thermoelectric modules. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49, 06GG08 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.M. Abdelhamid, B.K. Widyolar, L. Jiang, R. Winston, E. Yablonovitch, G. Scranton, D. Cygan, H. Abbasi, A. Kozlov, Novel double-stage high-concentrated solar hybrid photovoltaic/thermal (PV/T) collector with nonimaging optics and GaAs solar cells reflector. Appl. Energy 182, 68–79 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.L. Castaner, S. Silvestre, Modelling Photovoltaic Systems Using PSpice, Wiley, Hoboken (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.T. Markvart, Solar Electricity. Wiley, Hoboken (2000)Google Scholar
- 19.F. Lasnier, Photovoltaic Engineering Handbook. CRC Press, Cambridge (1990)sGoogle Scholar