Source/Gate Material-Engineered Double Gate TFET for improved RF and linearity performance: a numerical simulation
- 148 Downloads
This work seeks to present a comparative analysis of linear and analog/RF performances of a silicon (Si)-source double gate tunnel field effect transistors (DG-TFET), germanium (Ge)-source DG-TFET and Gate Material Engineered germanium (GME-Ge)-source DG-TFET. The objective of this analysis is to probe the viability of the Ge-source-DG-TFET and GME-Ge-source-DG-TFET as possible components of RF/microwave systems vis-à-vis conventional Si-source-DG-TFETs. The Ge-source-DG-TFET has been shown to have superior performance parameters as compared to the Si-source-DG-TFET. It is realized that the GME-Ge-source-DG-TFET preserves the superior performance of the Ge-source-DG-TFET and displays improved device reliability in contrast to the latter. With these ideas in the backdrop, a study of parasitic capacitances, transconductance (gm1) and its higher order coefficients (gm2 and gm3), and signal performance metrics such as VIP2, VIP3, third-order Input Intercept Point (IIP3) and third-order Intermodulation Distortion (IMD3) sheds light on the linear performances of the three devices. Further, the analog/RF performances of the three devices are investigated through analog/RF Figures of Merit (FOM) including current gain, unilateral power gain and maximum available power gain (Gma). This analysis reveals that the GME-Ge-source-DG-TFET is suitable for high-frequency, low-power operation required in modern communication systems.
The authors would like to thank the Microelectronics Research Lab, Department of Applied Physics, Delhi Technological University, New Delhi, India.
- 4.J. Madan, S. Shekhar, R. Chaujar, PNIN-GAA-tunnel FET with palladium catalytic metal gate as a highly sensitive hydrogen gas sensor, in Simulation of semiconductor processes and devices (SISPAD), 2017 international conference on, 2017, pp. 197–200Google Scholar
- 10.J. Madan, S. Shekhar, R. Chaujar, Source material assessment of heterojunction DG-TFET for improved analog performance, in Microelectronic devices, circuits and systems (ICMDCS), 2017 international conference on, 2017, pp. 1–5Google Scholar
- 15.J. Madan, S. Shekhar, R. Chaujar, Gate metal engineered heterojunction DG-TFETs for superior analog performance and enhanced device reliability, in Information and communication technology (CICT), 2017 conference on, 2017, pp. 1–4Google Scholar
- 17.M. Pala, D. Esseni, F. Conzatti, Impact of interface traps on the IV curves of InAs tunnel-FETs and MOSFETs: A full quantum study, in Electron devices meeting (IEDM), 2012 IEEE international, 2012, pp. 6.6. 1-6.6. 4Google Scholar
- 27.J. Madan, R. Gupta, R. Chaujar, in Advanced Manufacturing, Electronics and Microsystems: TechConnect Briefs. TCAD Analysis of Small Signal Parameters and RF Performance of Heterogeneous Gate Dielectric-Gate all around Tunnel FET, vol 4 (2015), pp. 189–192Google Scholar
- 30.R. Chaujar, R. Kaur, M. Saxena, M. Gupta, R. Gupta, TCAD assessment of gate electrode workfunction engineered recessed channel (GEWE-RC) MOSFET and its multi-layered gate architecture, Part II: analog and large signal performance evaluation”. Superlattices Microstruct. 46, 645–655 (2009)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar