A prevalent POLG CAG microsatellite length allele in humans and African great apes
- 3 Downloads
The human nuclear gene for the catalytic subunit of mitochondrial DNA polymerase γ (POLG) contains within its coding region a CAG microsatellite encoding a polyglutamine repeat. Previous studies demonstrated an association between length variation at this repeat and male infertility, suggesting a mechanism whereby the prevalent (CAG)10 allele, which occurs at a frequency of >80% in different populations, could be maintained by selection. Sequence analysis of the POLG CAG microsatellite region of more than 1000 human chromosomes reveals that virtually all allelic variation at the locus is accounted for by length variation of the CAG repeat. Analysis of POLG from African great apes shows that a prevalent length allele is present in each species, although its exact length is species-specific. In common chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) a number of different sequence variants contribute to the prevalent length allele, strongly supporting the idea that the length of the POLG microsatellite region, rather than its exact nucleotide or amino acid sequence, is what is maintained. Analysis of POLG in other primates indicates that the repeat has expanded from a shorter, glutamine-rich sequence, present in the common ancestor of Old and New World monkeys.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Choudhry S, Mukerji M, Srivastava AK, Jain S, Brahmachari SK (2001) CAG repeat instability at SCA2 locus: anchoring CAA interruptions and linked single nucleotide polymorphisms. Hum Mol Genet pp 2437–2446Google Scholar
- 17.Lamantea E, Tiranti V, Bordoni A, Toscano A, Bono F, Servidei S, Papadimitriou A, Spelbrink H, Silvestri L, Casari G, Comi GP, Zeviani M (2002) Mutations of mitochondrial DNA polymerase gammaA are a frequent cause of autosomal dominant or recessive progressive external ophthalmoplegia. Ann Neurol 52, 211–219CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Rovio A., Tiranti V, Bednarz AL, Suomalainen A, Spelbrink JN, Lecrenier N, Melberg A, Zeviani M, Poulton J, Foury F, Jacobs HT (1999) Analysis of the trinucleotide CAG repeat from the human mitochondrial DNA polymerase gene in healthy and diseased individuals. Eur J Hum Genet 7, 140–146CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Rovio AT, Marchington DR, Donat S, Schuppe HC, Abel J, Fritsche E, Elliott DJ, Laippala P, Ahola AL, McNay D, Harrison RF, Hughes B, Barrett T, Bailey DM, Mehmet D, Jequier AM, Hargreave TB, Kao SH, Cummins JM, Barton DE, Cooke HJ, Wei YH, Wichmann L, Poulton J, Jacobs HT (2001) Mutations at the mitochondrial DNA polymerase (POLG) locus associated with male infertility. Nat Genet 29, 261–262CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Spelbrink JN, Toivonen JM, Hakkaart GA, Kurkela JM, Cooper HM, Lehtinen SK, Lecrenier N, Back JW, Speijer D, Foury F, Jacobs HT (2000) In vivo functional analysis of the human mitochondrial DNA polymerase POLG expressed in cultured human cells. J Biol Chem 275, 24818–24828CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar