Brain abscess caused by Micrococcus luteus in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus: case-based review
- 134 Downloads
Central nervous system infections, which are rarely seen in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), have considerably high mortality but they are difficult to distinguish from neuropsychiatric manifestation of lupus. This article reports the case of a patient with SLE with brain abscess which developed during immunosuppressive therapy for lupus nephritis. The patient completely recovered without neurological sequelae by open surgical drainage and 12-week antibiotic therapy. It is recommended that CNS infections must be excluded in patients with SLE, particularly who are receiving immunosuppressive therapy.
KeywordsSystemic lupus erythematosus Central nervous system infections Brain abscess Micrococcus luteus
I would like to thank Enago for assistance in English language editing.
FE designed, reviewed the literature, and wrote the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that they have no competing interests.
An informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication.
- 3.Horta-Baas G, Guerrero-Soto O, Barile-Fabris L (2013) Central nervous system infection by listeria monocytogenes in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: analysis of 26 cases, including the report of a new case. Reumatol Clin 9(6):340–347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reuma.2013.04.011 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.David JHetem, Suzan HM, Rooijakkers, Miquel BEkkelenkamp (2017) Staphylococci and Micrococci. In: Jonathan Cohen WG, Powderly, Opal SM (eds) Infectious diseases, 4th edn, Volume 2, pp 1509–1522Google Scholar
- 7.Jeong JH, Moon SM, Park PW, Ahn JY, Kim KH, Seo JY, Lee HT, Jae KW, Seo YH (2017) multiple brain abscesses caused by Nocardia asiatica in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus: the first case report and literature review. Ann Lab Med 37(5):459–461. https://doi.org/10.3343/alm.2017.37.5.459 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 26.Takano A, Adachi H, Mizuno M, Kawamura K, Sobue G (1999) Direct gram staining of blood culture sample enabled the early diagnosis of brain abscess due to Listeria monocytogenes. Clin Neurol 39(11):1164–1167Google Scholar
- 29.Nishimoto Y, Ohno T, Kawabata Y (1980) An autopsy case of SLE with multiple brain abscess. J Wakayama Med Soc 31(4):383–393Google Scholar