Branching the Tel2 pathway for exact fit on phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related kinases
- 410 Downloads
Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related kinases (PIKKs), are structurally related to phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (lipid kinase), but possess protein kinase activities. PIKKs include ATM, ATR, DNA-PK, mTOR and SMG1, key regulators of cell proliferation and genome maintenance. TRRAP, which is devoid of protein kinase activity, is the sixth member of the PIKK family. PIKK family members are gigantic proteins in the range of 300–500 kDa. It has become apparent in the last decade that the stability or maturation of the PIKK family members depends on a molecular chaperone called the Tel2-Tti1-Tti2 (TTT) complex. Several lines of evidence have established a model in which TTT connects to the Hsp90 chaperone through the Rvb1-Rvb2-Tah1-Pih1 (R2TP) complex in mammalian and yeast cells. However, recent studies of yeast cells indicate that TTT is able to form different complexes. These observations raise a possibility that several different mechanisms regulate TTT-mediated protein stability of PIKKs.
KeywordsProtein folding Mec1 Tel1 Casein kinase Asa1 Cdc37
I thank John Kang, Hisao Masukata and Carol Newlon for helpful comments.
- Hayashi T, Hatanaka M, Nagao K, Nakaseko Y, Kanoh J, Kokubu A et al (2007) Rapamycin sensitivity of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe tor2 mutant and organization of two highly phosphorylated TOR complexes by specific and common subunits. Genes Cells 12(12):1357–1370. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2443.2007.01141.x CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- He F, Jacobson A (2015) Nonsense-mediated mRNA Decay: degradation of defective transcripts is only part of the story. Annu Rev Genet 49:339–366. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-genet-112414-054639 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mandal AK, Lee P, Chen JA, Nillegoda N, Heller A, DiStasio S et al (2007) Cdc37 has distinct roles in protein kinase quality control that protect nascent chains from degradation and promote posttranslational maturation. J Cell Biol 176(3):319–328. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.200604106 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- McKeegan KS, Debieux CM, Watkins NJ (2009) Evidence that the AAA + proteins TIP48 and TIP49 bridge interactions between 15.5K and the related NOP56 and NOP58 proteins during box C/D snoRNP biogenesis. Mol Cell Biol 29(18):4971–4981. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.00752-09 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Stirling PC, Bloom MS, Solanki-Patil T, Smith S, Sipahimalani P, Li Z et al (2011) The complete spectrum of yeast chromosome instability genes identifies candidate CIN cancer genes and functional roles for ASTRA complex components. PLoS Genet 7(4):e1002057. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1002057 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhou CY, Stoddard CI, Johnston JB, Trnka MJ, Echeverria I, Palovcak E et al (2017) Regulation of Rvb1/Rvb2 by a domain within the INO80 chromatin remodeling complex implicates the yeast Rvbs as protein assembly chaperones. Cell Rep 19(10):2033–2044. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2017.05.029 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar