Application of novel hydrophobically modified polybetaines based on alkylaminocrotonates and methacrylic acid as pour point depressants and ASP flooding agent
- 1 Downloads
A series of hydrophobically modified polymeric betaines (HMPB) were synthesized from alkylaminocrotonates and methacrylic acid, analyzed by methods of GPC, potentiometric titration and DSC and applied as pour point depressants (PPD) to high paraffinic crude oils of Western Kazakhstan. The efficiency of paraffin inhibition with the help of HMPB was evaluated in static and dynamic conditions. The physicochemical properties of the Mangyshlak oil and the Buzachi–Mangyshlak oil mixture (67:33 vol%) were determined. Paraffins were found to form gelled networks in the Mangyshlak oil and Buzachi–Mangyshlak oil mixture within the fractions of hydrocarbons with lengths of C12–C17 and C13–C16. The results of testing the HMPB as PPD in the model tank and oil pipeline showed that, at a concentration of polymeric additives of 500 ppm and at an injection temperature of 60 °C, the quantity of precipitated asphaltene–resin–paraffin depositions was significantly reduced. The efficiency of HMPB bearing C16H33 groups was tested as a prototype alkaline–surfactant–polymer flooding agent on the heavy oil of the Karazhanbas oilfield.
KeywordsHydrophobic polybetaines Hydrophobicity Pour point depressant Oil recovery
This work was supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Grant No. AP05131003/2018-2020). N.N. acknowledges the ACSPRF (57095-DN17).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Bekturov EA, Bakauova ZK (1986) Synthetic water-soluble polymers in solution. Huthig & Wepf Verlag, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- 10.Chen H, Wang ZM, Ye ZhB, Han LJ (2014) The solution behavior of hydrophobically associating zwitterionic polymer in salt water. J Appl Polym Sci 131:39707Google Scholar
- 12.Kudaibergenov S, Koetz J, Nuraje N. (2018) Nanostructured hydrophobic polyampholytes: self-assembly, stimuli-sensitivity and application. Adv Compos Hybrid Mater. http://doi.org/10.1007/s42114-018-0059-9
- 13.Atta AM, El-Ghazawy RA, Morsy FA, Hebishy AM, Elmorsy A (2015) Adsorption of polymeric additives based on vinyl acetate copolymers as wax dispersant and its relevance to polymer crystallization mechanisms. J Chem. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/683109
- 31.Halim N, Ali S, Nadeem MN, Hamdi PA (2011) 142288-MS SPE Conference Paper Society of Petroleum Engineers. https://doi.org/10.2118/142288-MS
- 34.Shakhvorostov AV, Nurakhmetova ZhA, Tatykhanova GS, Nuraje N, Kudaibergenov SE (2015) Synthesis and characterization of hydrophobically modified polymeric betaines. Bull Kazakh Natl Univ Ser Chem 3(79):11–20Google Scholar
- 37.Kudaibergenov S, Nuraje N, AdilovZh, Abilkhairov D, Ibragimov R, Gusenov I, Sagindykov A (2015) Plugging behavior of gellan in porous saline media. J Appl Polym Sci. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.41256
- 39.Au J (2001) Optimize pour point control to save money. Hydrocarb Process 80:73–75Google Scholar
- 40.Kudaibergenov S, Akhmedzhanov TK, Zhappasbayev BZh, Gussenov ISh, Shakhvorostov AV (2015) Laboratory study of ASP flooding for viscous oil. Int J Chem Sci 13(4):2017–2025Google Scholar