A photochromic waterborne polyurethane-based dye with chemically fixed azobenzene groups
- 8 Downloads
A photochromic waterborne polyurethane-based dye with azobenzene groups WPU-DDB-3BF was prepared by incorporating Disperse Diazo Black 3BF (DDB-3BF, CAS: 6232-57-1) into the polyurethane chain according to a modified acetone process. The expected structure of WPU-DDB-3BF was characterized by FT-IR, Raman and UV–Vis spectra. Containing the well-known dye of azobenzene groups, WPU-DDB-3BF exhibits a slow photochromic process. Compared with DDB-3BF, the isomerization time of WPU-DDB-3BF has obviously grown longer. The improved thermal stability of WPU-DDB-3BF is ascribed to the attachment of azobenzene units to polyurethane backbone chains. The polyester fibers dyed with WPU-DDB-3BF show high color yield (K/S), outstanding breaking strength retention, excellent breathability and strong wrinkle resistance. From the experimental results, WPU-DDB-3BF possesses outstanding photochromism and dyeing performance.
KeywordsWaterborne polyurethane Photochromic polymer Polymeric dye Dyeing properties
The authors are grateful for the financial supports of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51573001) and the Natural Science Foundation of Anhui Province (No. 1508085MB36).
- 9.Nishida K, Haruna E, Hotuta T, Iwamoto H (2010) Dyeing properties of monoazo dyes derived from substituted 2-aminobenzothiazole-3N-oxides on various synthetic-polymer fibres. Color Technol 87:309–311Google Scholar
- 12.Kumar GS (1992) Azo functional polymers: functional approach in macromolecular design. Technomic, LancasterGoogle Scholar
- 17.Sun W, Zheng Y, Zhang X (2016) Photoisomerization of waterborne polyurethane with side-chained phenylazonaphthalene group. Polym Bullet 74:1–13Google Scholar
- 18.ASTM Standard ASTM D2572–97 (2010) Standard test method for isocyanate groups in urethane materials or prepolymers. ASTM International, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 22.Mao H, Qiang S, Yang F, Zhao C, Wang C, Yin Y (2015) Synthesis of blocked and branched waterborne polyurethanes for pigment printing applications. J Appl Polym Sci 132:42780–42788Google Scholar
- 25.Hu X, Zhang X, Liu J (2015) Synthesis and optical performances of a waterborne polyurethane-based Polymeric dye. Int J Polym Sci 2015:1–8Google Scholar
- 35.Han J, Jia MJ (2011) Formulation optimization and application process of waterborne polyurethane wrinkle resistant agent. Polyurethane 4:70–73Google Scholar