Dose-finding study of modified FLOT (mFLOT) regimen as first-line treatment in Chinese patients with metastatic adenocarcinoma of stomach
- 27 Downloads
To determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) and recommended dose (RD) of modified FLOT regimen (fluorouracil plus leucovorin, oxaliplatin and docetaxel) for treating Chinese patients with metastatic adenocarcinoma of stomach.
Chinese patients with untreated advanced or metastatic stomach adenocarcinoma were enrolled. Docetaxel (D), oxaliplatin (O) and leucovorin were administrated intravenously on day 1. Fluorouracil (F) was administrated continuous intravenously on day 1 for 48 h. The treatment was repeated every 2 weeks. The start doses of docetaxel and oxaliplatin were 40 mg/m2 and 65 mg/m2, respectively. Dose escalation followed a 3 + 3 design. Total 6 dose levels were set to determine the MTD and RD. Fluorouracil and leucovorin were given as fix doses at 2200 mg/m2 and 200 mg/m2, respectively. Adverse events that occurred in the first 2 cycles were recorded to determine dose-limiting toxicity (DLT). The primary endpoints were MTD and RD determination.
A total of 18 patients were treated in 5 dose levels. DTL occurred in one patient of level 4 (grade 3 hypophosphatemia). Other 3 patients were enrolled in level 4 and no DLTs were observed. In level 5, 2 patients suffered grade 4 neutropenia after first cycle of treatment and were defined as DLTs. Therefore, level 5 (D/O/F: 50/75/2200 mg/m2) was defined as MTD and level 4 (D/O/F: 45/75/2200 mg/m2) was defined as RD. Common adverse events in first two cycles were nausea, anorexia, leukopenia, neutropenia and anemia. For 16 patients assessable for tumor response, 7 patients had partial response (43.7%) and 5 experienced stable disease. Disease control rate were 75% (12/16). Two patients underwent conversion operation after 6 cycles of treatment. One pathological complete response (case in level 3) and one pathological partial response (case in level 2) were observed. Median progression-free survival was 4.4 months (95% CI 2.9–5.9 months) in 14 patients.
The RD of modified FLOT regimen in Chinese patients with advanced gastric cancer was docetaxel 45 mg/m2, oxaliplatin 75 mg/m2, leucovorin 200 mg/m2 and fluorouracil 2200 mg/m2 on day 1 of every 14-day cycle. Its efficacy will be assessed by further phase II study.
KeywordsGastric cancer Docetaxel Oxaliplatin 5-Fluorouracil Dose-finding
The study was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81672327 and 81802319) and Program of Shanghai Academic/Technology Research Leader (17XD1402600) and Program for Outstanding Medical Academic Leader and Shanghai Municipal Education Commission—Gaofeng Clinical Medicine Grant Support (20161410) and Development Grant for Clinical Trial (SHDC12017X06).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 1.Chen W, Zheng R, Zeng H, Zhang S, He J (2015) Annual report on status of cancer in China, 2011. Chin J Cancer Res 27(1):2–12. https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.1000-9604.2015.01.06 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Van Cutsem E, Moiseyenko VM, Tjulandin S, Majlis A, Constenla M, Boni C, Rodrigues A, Fodor M, Chao Y, Voznyi E, Risse ML, Ajani JA, Group VS (2006) Phase III study of docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil as first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a report of the V325 Study Group. J Clin Oncol 24(31):4991–4997. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.8429 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Al-Batran SE, Hartmann JT, Probst S, Schmalenberg H, Hollerbach S, Hofheinz R, Rethwisch V, Seipelt G, Homann N, Wilhelm G, Schuch G, Stoehlmacher J, Derigs HG, Hegewisch-Becker S, Grossmann J, Pauligk C, Atmaca A, Bokemeyer C, Knuth A, Jager E, Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische O (2008) Phase III trial in metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma with fluorouracil, leucovorin plus either oxaliplatin or cisplatin: a study of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie. J Clin Oncol 26(9):1435–1442. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.9378 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cunningham D, Starling N, Rao S, Iveson T, Nicolson M, Coxon F, Middleton G, Daniel F, Oates J, Norman AR, Upper Gastrointestinal Clinical Studies Group of the National Cancer Research Institute of the United K (2008) Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancer. N Engl J Med 358(1):36–46. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa073149 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Al-Batran SE, Hartmann JT, Hofheinz R, Homann N, Rethwisch V, Probst S, Stoehlmacher J, Clemens MR, Mahlberg R, Fritz M, Seipelt G, Sievert M, Pauligk C, Atmaca A, Jager E (2008) Biweekly fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and docetaxel (FLOT) for patients with metastatic adenocarcinoma of the stomach or esophagogastric junction: a phase II trial of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie. Ann Oncol 19(11):1882–1887. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn403 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Al-Batran SE, Homann N, Pauligk C, Goetze TO, Meiler J, Kasper S, Kopp HG, Mayer F, Haag GM, Luley K, Lindig U, Schmiegel W, Pohl M, Stoehlmacher J, Folprecht G, Probst S, Prasnikar N, Fischbach W, Mahlberg R, Trojan J, Koenigsmann M, Martens UM, Thuss-Patience P, Egger M, Block A, Heinemann V, Illerhaus G, Moehler M, Schenk M, Kullmann F, Behringer DM, Heike M, Pink D, Teschendorf C, Lohr C, Bernhard H, Schuch G, Rethwisch V, von Weikersthal LF, Hartmann JT, Kneba M, Daum S, Schulmann K, Weniger J, Belle S, Gaiser T, Oduncu FS, Guntner M, Hozaeel W, Reichart A, Jager E, Kraus T, Monig S, Bechstein WO, Schuler M, Schmalenberg H, Hofheinz RD, Investigators FA (2019) Perioperative chemotherapy with fluorouracil plus leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and docetaxel versus fluorouracil or capecitabine plus cisplatin and epirubicin for locally advanced, resectable gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma (FLOT4): a randomised, phase 2/3 trial. Lancet 393(10184):1948–1957. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32557-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Zang DY, Yang DH, Kim MJ, Jang KM, Hwang SW, Yoo KS, Han T, Kim HY, Kim HJ, Kwon JH, Song HH, Park S, Jung JY, Kim HS, Kim JH (2009) Dose-finding study of docetaxel, oxaliplatin, and S-1 for patients with advanced gastric cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 64(5):877–883. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-009-0936-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Eisenhauer EA, Therasse P, Bogaerts J, Schwartz LH, Sargent D, Ford R, Dancey J, Arbuck S, Gwyther S, Mooney M, Rubinstein L, Shankar L, Dodd L, Kaplan R, Lacombe D, Verweij J (2009) New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1). Eur J Cancer 45(2):228–247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Keskin S, Yildiz I, Sen F, Aydogan F, Kilic L, Ekenel M, Saglam S, Sakar B, Disci R, Aykan F (2013) Modified DCF (mDCF) regimen seems to be as effective as original DCF in advanced gastric cancer (AGC). Clin Transl Oncol 15(5):403–408. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-012-0942-8 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ochenduszko S, Puskulluoglu M, Konopka K, Fijorek K, Urbanczyk K, Budzynski A, Matlok M, Lazar A, Sinczak-Kuta A, Pedziwiatr M, Krzemieniecki K (2015) Comparison of efficacy and safety of first-line palliative chemotherapy with EOX and mDCF regimens in patients with locally advanced inoperable or metastatic HER2-negative gastric or gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma: a randomized phase 3 trial. Med Oncol 32(10):242. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-015-0687-7 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Shah MA, Janjigian YY, Stoller R, Shibata S, Kemeny M, Krishnamurthi S, Su YB, Ocean A, Capanu M, Mehrotra B, Ritch P, Henderson C, Kelsen DP (2015) Randomized multicenter phase II study of modified docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil (DCF) versus DCF plus growth factor support in patients with metastatic gastric adenocarcinoma: a Study of the US Gastric Cancer Consortium. J Clin Oncol 33(33):3874–3879. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2015.60.7465 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wang J, Xu R, Li J, Bai Y, Liu T, Jiao S, Dai G, Xu J, Liu Y, Fan N, Shu Y, Ba Y, Ma D, Qin S, Zheng L, Chen W, Shen L (2016) Randomized multicenter phase III study of a modified docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil regimen compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil as first-line therapy for advanced or locally recurrent gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 19(1):234–244. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-015-0457-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Schulz C, Kullmann F, Kunzmann V, Fuchs M, Geissler M, Vehling-Kaiser U, Stauder H, Wein A, Al-Batran SE, Kubin T, Schafer C, Stintzing S, Giessen C, Modest DP, Ridwelski K, Heinemann V (2015) NeoFLOT: multicenter phase II study of perioperative chemotherapy in resectable adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction or gastric adenocarcinoma—Very good response predominantly in patients with intestinal type tumors. Int J Cancer 137(3):678–685. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29403 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Blum Murphy MA, Qiao W, Mewada N, Wadhwa R, Elimova E, Takashi T, Ho L, Phan A, Baker J, Ajani J (2018) A phase I/II study of docetaxel, oxaliplatin, and fluorouracil (D-FOX) chemotherapy in patients with untreated locally unresectable or metastatic adenocarcinoma of the stomach and gastroesophageal junction. Am J Clin Oncol 41(4):321–325. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0000000000000271 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Al-Batran SE, Pauligk C, Homann N, Hartmann JT, Moehler M, Probst S, Rethwisch V, Stoehlmacher-Williams J, Prasnikar N, Hollerbach S, Bokemeyer C, Mahlberg R, Hofheinz RD, Luley K, Kullmann F, Jager E (2013) The feasibility of triple-drug chemotherapy combination in older adult patients with oesophagogastric cancer: a randomised trial of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie (FLOT65+). Eur J Cancer 49(4):835–842. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.09.025 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Al-Batran SE, Homann N, Pauligk C, Illerhaus G, Martens UM, Stoehlmacher J, Schmalenberg H, Luley KB, Prasnikar N, Egger M, Probst S, Messmann H, Moehler M, Fischbach W, Hartmann JT, Mayer F, Hoffkes HG, Koenigsmann M, Arnold D, Kraus TW, Grimm K, Berkhoff S, Post S, Jager E, Bechstein W, Ronellenfitsch U, Monig S, Hofheinz RD (2017) Effect of neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by surgical resection on survival in patients with limited metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal junction cancer: the AIO-FLOT3 trial. JAMA Oncol 3(9):1237–1244. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2017.0515 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar