Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) as a biomarker for predicting high dose methotrexate associated acute kidney injury in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- 17 Downloads
The present study was aimed at assessing the value of serum NGAL in identifying early acute kidney injury induced by HDMTX.
Children aged 1–14 years with newly diagnosed ALL receiving MTX over 3 g/m2 were enrolled. Serum NGAL concentrations, serum creatinine (Scr) and MTX concentrations were measured. The area under the receiver-operating characteristic curve (ROC) was used for evaluating variables’ ability of early diagnosis of AKI.
A total of 196 courses of 62 patients were assessed, and 22 courses (11.2%) developed AKI. Twenty-four hours serum NGAL concentrations, 24 h Scr ratio, 48 h Scr ratio, CMTX24 h, CMTX48 h, CMTX72 h were significantly higher in patients with AKI. The combination of 24 h Scr ratio and 24 h serum NGAL had higher value for detecting HDMTX induced AKI compared with the 24 h Scr ratio. And the combination had similar value for detecting HDMTX induced AKI compared with the 48 h Scr ratio. After 48 h, CMTX48 h had a satisfying accuracy in predicting AKI. The proportion of post-HDMTX sepsis in patients with AKI was significantly higher than that in patients without AKI.
Serum NGAL levels could be used as a marker in identifying the direct kidney tubular damage induced by HDMTX. The combination of 24 h Scr ratio and 24 h serum NGAL had higher value for early diagnosis of HDMTX associated AKI compared with the 24 h Scr ratio.
KeywordsNeutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin High-dose methotrexate Acute kidney injury
Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin
Acute kidney injury
Receiver-operating characteristic curve
- 24 h Scr ratio
24 h Serum creatinine/baseline creatinine
- 48 h Scr ratio
48 h Serum creatinine/baseline creatinine
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
- 5.Karremann M, Sauerbier J, Meier C, Vetter C, Schneider H, Buchholz B, Mildenberger S, Durken M (2014) The impact of prehydration on the clearance and toxicity of high-dose methotrexate for pediatric patients. Leuk Lymphoma 55(12):2874–2878. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2014.898143 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zhang A, Cai Y, Wang PF, Qu JN, Luo ZC, Chen XD, Huang B, Liu Y, Huang WQ, Wu J, Yin YH (2016) Diagnosis and prognosis of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin for acute kidney injury with sepsis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care 20:41. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-016-1212-x CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Tong J, Li H, Zhang H, Luo Z, Huang Y, Huang J, He F, Fu J (2015) Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in the prediction of contrast-induced nephropathy: a systemic review and meta-analysis. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 66(3):239–245. https://doi.org/10.1097/FJC.0000000000000268 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Parikh CR, Coca SG, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Shlipak MG, Koyner JL, Wang Z, Edelstein CL, Devarajan P, Patel UD, Zappitelli M, Krawczeski CD, Passik CS, Swaminathan M, Garg AX, Consortium T-A (2011) Postoperative biomarkers predict acute kidney injury and poor outcomes after adult cardiac surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol 22(9):1748–1757. https://doi.org/10.1681/asn.2010121302 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.de Miguel D, Garcia-Suarez J, Martin Y, Gil-Fernandez JJ, Burgaleta C (2008) Severe acute renal failure following high-dose methotrexate therapy in adults with haematological malignancies: a significant number result from unrecognized co-administration of several drugs. Nephrol Dial Transpl 23(12):3762–3766. https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfn503 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kellum JA, Lameire N, Aspelin P, Barsoum RS, Burdmann EA, Goldstein SL, Herzog CA, Joannidis M, Kribben A, Levey AS, MacLeod AM (2012) Kidney disease: improving global outcomes (KDIGO) acute kidney injury work group. KDIGO clinical practice guideline for acute kidney injury. Kidney Int Suppl 2(1):1–138. https://doi.org/10.1038/kisup.2012.1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Singer M, Deutschman CS, Seymour CW, Shankar-Hari M, Annane D, Bauer M, Bellomo R, Bernard GR, Chiche JD, Coopersmith CM, Hotchkiss RS, Levy MM, Marshall JC, Martin GS, Opal SM, Rubenfeld GD, van der Poll T, Vincent JL, Angus DC (2016) The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (sepsis-3). JAMA 315(8):801–810. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.0287 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Zhang HN, He XL, Wang C, Wang Y, Chen YJ, Li JX, Niu CH, Gao P (2014) Impact of SLCO1B1 521T > C variant on leucovorin rescue and risk of relapse in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated with high-dose methotrexate. Pediatr Blood Cancer 61(12):2203–2207. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.25191 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Ramsey LB, Balis FM, O’Brien MM, Schmiegelow K, Pauley JL, Bleyer A, Widemann BC, Askenazi D, Bergeron S, Shirali A, Schwartz S, Vinks AA, Heldrup J (2018) Consensus guideline for use of glucarpidase in patients with high-dose methotrexate induced acute kidney injury and delayed methotrexate clearance. Oncologist 23(1):52–61. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2017-0243 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Haase M, Bellomo R, Devarajan P, Schlattmann P, Haase-Fielitz A, Group NM-aI (2009) Accuracy of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in diagnosis and prognosis in acute kidney injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis 54(6):1012–1024. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2009.07.020 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Moledina DG, Hall IE, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Reese PP, Weng FL, Schroppel B, Doshi MD, Wilson FP, Coca SG, Parikh CR (2017) Performance of serum creatinine and kidney injury biomarkers for diagnosing histologic acute tubular injury. Am J Kidney Dis 70(6):807–816. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2017.06.031 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 31.Vanmassenhove J, Glorieux G, Lameire N, Hoste E, Dhondt A, Vanholder R, Van Biesen W (2015) Influence of severity of illness on neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin performance as a marker of acute kidney injury: a prospective cohort study of patients with sepsis. BMC Nephrol 16:18. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12882-015-0003-y CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 32.Murugan R, Karajala-Subramanyam V, Lee M, Yende S, Kong L, Carter M, Angus DC, Kellum JA, Genetic, Inflammatory Markers of Sepsis I (2010) Acute kidney injury in non-severe pneumonia is associated with an increased immune response and lower survival. Kidney Int 77(6):527–535. https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2009.502 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Reiss SN, Buie LW, Adel N, Goldman DA, Devlin SM, Douer D (2016) Hypoalbuminemia is significantly associated with increased clearance time of high dose methotrexate in patients being treated for lymphoma or leukemia. Ann Hematol 95(12):2009–2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-016-2795-7 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 35.Lippi G, Meschi T, Nouvenne A, Mattiuzzi C, Borghi L (2014) Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in cancer. Adv Clin Chem. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-800263-6.00004-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Wheeler DS, Devarajan P, Ma Q, Harmon K, Monaco M, Cvijanovich N, Wong HR (2008) Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) as a marker of acute kidney injury in critically ill children with septic shock. Crit Care Med 36(4):1297–1303. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e318169245a CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar