Inter- and intra-patient variability in pharmacokinetics of abiraterone acetate in metastatic prostate cancer
- 83 Downloads
This study examined the inter- and intra-patient variability in pharmacokinetics of AA and its metabolites abiraterone and Δ(4)-abiraterone (D4A), and potential contributing factors.
AA administered daily for ≥4 weeks concurrently with androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) for mCRPC were included. Pharmacokinetic evaluation was performed at two consecutive visits at least 4 weeks apart. Plasma samples were collected 24 h after last dose of AA to obtain drug trough level (DTL) of two active metabolites, abiraterone and D4A.
39 plasma samples were obtained from 22 patients, with 17 patients had repeat DTL measurement. Considerable inter-patient variability in DTL was seen, with initial DTL for abiraterone ranging between 1.5 and 25.4 ng/ml (CV 61%) and for D4A between 0.2 and 2.5 ng/ml (CV 61%). Intra-patient variability in DTL for abiraterone varied between 0.85 and 336% and for D4A between 1.14 and 199%. There was no increase in AA exposure with use of dexamethasone (n = 5; DTL 13.9) compared with prednisone (n = 17; DTL 11.0 p = 0.5), dosing in fasted state (n = 13, DTL 12.1) compared to dosing in fed state (n = 9; DTL 11.1, p = 0.8), or chemotherapy-exposed (n = 10; DTL 8.9) compared to chemotherapy naïve (n = 12; DTL 14.0, p = 0.1).
Our cohort demonstrated high inter- and intra-patient variability in both abiraterone and D4A with fixed dosing of AA, with no effect from choice of corticosteroids, prior use of chemotherapy, or dosing in fasting state. Monitoring DTL of AA may be necessary to minimise risk of patients being under-dosed and earlier development of resistance.
KeywordsAbiraterone D4A Pharmacokinetics Prostate cancer
MPM and HG acknowledge research support from Cancer Institute NSW research equipment grant scheme. AB acknowledges research scholar support from Sydney Vital Translational Cancer Research Centre.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
HG reports personal fees from BMS, personal fees from MSD, personal fees from Roche, grants and personal fees from Pfizer, and personal fees from Astra Zeneca, outside the submitted work. The remaining authors declare no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
- 2.Attard G, Reid AH, Yap TA, Raynaud F, Dowsett M, Settatree S, Barrett M, Parker C, Martins V, Folkerd E, Clark J, Cooper CS, Kaye SB, Dearnaley D, Lee G, de Bono JS (2008) Phase I clinical trial of a selective inhibitor of CYP17, abiraterone acetate, confirms that castration-resistant prostate cancer commonly remains hormone driven. J Clin Oncol 26(28):4563–4571. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2007.15.9749 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.de Bono JS, Logothetis CJ, Molina A, Fizazi K, North S, Chu L, Chi KN, Jones RJ, Goodman OB Jr, Saad F, Staffurth JN, Mainwaring P, Harland S, Flaig TW, Hutson TE, Cheng T, Patterson H, Hainsworth JD, Ryan CJ, Sternberg CN, Ellard SL, Flechon A, Saleh M, Scholz M, Efstathiou E, Zivi A, Bianchini D, Loriot Y, Chieffo N, Kheoh T, Haqq CM, Scher HI (2011) Abiraterone and increased survival in metastatic prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 364(21):1995–2005. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1014618 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ryan CJ, Smith MR, de Bono JS, Molina A, Logothetis CJ, de Souza P, Fizazi K, Mainwaring P, Piulats JM, Ng S, Carles J, Mulders PF, Basch E, Small EJ, Saad F, Schrijvers D, Van Poppel H, Mukherjee SD, Suttmann H, Gerritsen WR, Flaig TW, George DJ, Yu EY, Efstathiou E, Pantuck A, Winquist E, Higano CS, Taplin ME, Park Y, Kheoh T, Griffin T, Scher HI, Rathkopf DE (2013) Abiraterone in metastatic prostate cancer without previous chemotherapy. N Engl J Med 368(2):138–148. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1209096 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.James ND, Sydes MR, Clarke NW, Mason MD, Dearnaley DP, Spears MR, Ritchie AW, Parker CC, Russell JM, Attard G, de Bono J, Cross W, Jones RJ, Thalmann G, Amos C, Matheson D, Millman R, Alzouebi M, Beesley S, Birtle AJ, Brock S, Cathomas R, Chakraborti P, Chowdhury S, Cook A, Elliott T, Gale J, Gibbs S, Graham JD, Hetherington J, Hughes R, Laing R, McKinna F, McLaren DB, O’Sullivan JM, Parikh O, Peedell C, Protheroe A, Robinson AJ, Srihari N, Srinivasan R, Staffurth J, Sundar S, Tolan S, Tsang D, Wagstaff J, Parmar MK (2016) Addition of docetaxel, zoledronic acid, or both to first-line long-term hormone therapy in prostate cancer (STAMPEDE): survival results from an adaptive, multiarm, multistage, platform randomised controlled trial. Lancet (London, England) 387(10024):1163–1177. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(15)01037-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Fizazi K, Tran N, Fein L, Matsubara N, Rodriguez-Antolin A, Alekseev BY, Ozguroglu M, Ye D, Feyerabend S, Protheroe A, De Porre P, Kheoh T, Park YC, Todd MB, Chi KN (2017) Abiraterone plus prednisone in metastatic, castration-sensitive prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 377(4):352–360. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1704174 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Malangone-Monaco E, Foley K, Varker H, Wilson KL, McKenzie S, Ellis L (2016) Prescribing patterns of oral antineoplastic therapies observed in the treatment of patients with advanced prostate cancer between 2012 and 2014: results of an oncology EMR analysis. Clin Ther 38(8):1817–1824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2016.07.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Companies JP (2018) Highlights of prescribing information. Zytiga. United States Food and Drug AdministrationGoogle Scholar
- 12.Carton E, Noe G, Huillard O, Golmard L, Giroux J, Cessot A, Saidu NE, Peyromaure M, Zerbib M, Narjoz C, Guibourdenche J, Thomas A, Vidal M, Goldwasser F, Blanchet B, Alexandre J (2017) Relation between plasma trough concentration of abiraterone and prostate-specific antigen response in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patients. Eur J Cancer (Oxford, England: 1990) 72:54–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2016.11.027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Scher HI, Halabi S, Tannock I, Morris M, Sternberg CN, Carducci MA, Eisenberger MA, Higano C, Bubley GJ, Dreicer R, Petrylak D, Kantoff P, Basch E, Kelly WK, Figg WD, Small EJ, Beer TM, Wilding G, Martin A, Hussain M (2008) Design and end points of clinical trials for patients with progressive prostate cancer and castrate levels of testosterone: recommendations of the Prostate Cancer Clinical Trials Working Group. J Clin Oncol 26(7):1148–1159. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2007.12.4487 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Benoist M, van der Meulen E, Van Oort I, Gerritsen W, Schalken J, Burger D, van Erp NP (2016) Analytical challenges in quantitative analysis (LC/MS/MS) of abiraterone: a validated assay to determine abiraterone in human plasma. American Society of Clinical Oncology, AlexandriaGoogle Scholar
- 15.Bhatnagar A, McKay MJ, Crumbaker M, Ahire K, Karuso P, Gurney H, Molloy MP (2018) Quantitation of the anticancer drug abiraterone and its metabolite Delta(4)-abiraterone in human plasma using high-resolution mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 154:66–74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2018.03.012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Stuyckens K, Saad F, Xu XS, Ryan CJ, Smith MR, Griffin TW, Yu MK, Vermeulen A, Nandy P, Poggesi I (2014) Population pharmacokinetic analysis of abiraterone in chemotherapy-naive and docetaxel-treated patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Clin Pharmacokinet 53(12):1149–1160. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40262-014-0178-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Alyamani M, Emamekhoo H, Park S, Taylor J, Almassi N, Upadhyay S, Tyler A, Berk MP, Hu B, Hwang TH, Figg WD, Peer CJ, Chien C, Koshkin VS, Mendiratta P, Grivas P, Rini B, Garcia J, Auchus RJ, Sharifi N (2018) HSD3B1(1245A > C) variant regulates dueling abiraterone metabolite effects in prostate cancer. J Clin Investig 128(8):3333–3340. https://doi.org/10.1172/jci98319 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Ltd J-CP (2014) Australian Public Assessment Report for Abiraterone Acetate. AusPAR Zytiga Abiraterone acetate Janssen-Cilag Pty Ltd, Therapeutic Goods AdministrationGoogle Scholar
- 23.Chi KN, Spratlin J, Kollmannsberger C, North S, Pankras C, Gonzalez M, Bernard A, Stieltjes H, Peng L, Jiao J, Acharya M, Kheoh T, Griffin TW, Yu MK, Chien C, Tran NP (2015) Food effects on abiraterone pharmacokinetics in healthy subjects and patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. J Clin Pharmacol 55(12):1406–1414. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcph.564 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Szmulewitz RZ, Peer CJ, Ibraheem A, Martinez E, Kozloff MF, Carthon B, Harvey RD, Fishkin P, Yong WP, Chiong E, Nabhan C, Karrison T, Figg WD, Stadler WM, Ratain MJ (2018) Prospective international randomized phase II study of low-dose abiraterone with food versus standard dose abiraterone in castration-resistant prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 36(14):1389–1395. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2017.76.4381 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Pezaro C, Mukherji D, Tunariu N, Cassidy AM, Omlin A, Bianchini D, Seed G, Reid AH, Olmos D, de Bono JS, Attard G (2013) Sarcopenia and change in body composition following maximal androgen suppression with abiraterone in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer. Br J Cancer 109(2):325–331. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.340 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Venkitaraman R, Lorente D, Murthy V, Thomas K, Parker L, Ahiabor R, Dearnaley D, Huddart R, De Bono J, Parker C (2015) A randomised phase 2 trial of dexamethasone versus prednisolone in castration-resistant prostate cancer. Eur Urol 67(4):673–679. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2014.10.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Morioka M, Kobayashi T, Furukawa Y, Jo Y, Shinkai M, Matsuki T, Yamamoto T, Tanaka H (2002) Prostate-specific antigen levels and prognosis in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer treated with low-dose dexamethasone. Urol Int 68(1):10–15. https://doi.org/10.1159/000048411 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Sternberg CN, Whelan P, Hetherington J, Paluchowska B, Slee PH, Vekemans K, Van Erps P, Theodore C, Koriakine O, Oliver T, Lebwohl D, Debois M, Zurlo A, Collette L (2005) Phase III trial of satraplatin, an oral platinum plus prednisone vs. prednisone alone in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer. Oncology 68(1):2–9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000084201 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Fossa SD, Slee PH, Brausi M, Horenblas S, Hall RR, Hetherington JW, Aaronson N, de Prijck L, Collette L (2001) Flutamide versus prednisone in patients with prostate cancer symptomatically progressing after androgen-ablative therapy: a phase III study of the European organization for research and treatment of cancer genitourinary group. J Clin Oncol 19(1):62–71. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2001.19.1.62 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Tannock IF, Osoba D, Stockler MR, Ernst DS, Neville AJ, Moore MJ, Armitage GR, Wilson JJ, Venner PM, Coppin CM, Murphy KC (1996) Chemotherapy with mitoxantrone plus prednisone or prednisone alone for symptomatic hormone-resistant prostate cancer: a Canadian randomized trial with palliative end points. J Clin Oncol 14(6):1756–1764. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.1922.214.171.1246 CrossRefGoogle Scholar