Gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus fluorouracil plus cisplatin as a first-line concurrent chemotherapy regimen in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a prospective, multi-institution, randomized controlled phase II study
The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of gemcitabine plus cisplatin concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT) in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
Patients with NPC were randomly assigned to the gemcitabine plus cisplatin (GP) group or fluorouracil plus cisplatin (PF) group. Primary end-point was disease-free survival (DFS); secondary endpoints: overall survival, distant metastasis-free survival (DMFS), locoregional relapse-free survival, and treatment-related adverse events.
Seventy-six patients were prospectively enrolled and the median follow-up time was 41 months (9–61 months). Three-year DFS were similar between the GP and PF groups (73.7% vs. 60.5%, HR 0.66, 95% CI 0.30–1.44; P = 0.30). Distant metastasis was the most common failure form in PF compared with GP (P = 0.034). Three-year DMFS was significantly better in the GP group than PF group (89.5% vs. 71.1%, P = 0.045). Grade 3–4 gastrointestinal toxicities (vomiting and diarrhea) were significantly more common in the PF group; grade 3–4 neutropenia and thrombocytopenia were more common in the GP group.
Gemcitabine plus cisplatin could be used as an alternative regimen in CCRT for nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
KeywordsNasopharyngeal carcinoma Concurrent chemoradiotherapy Gemcitabine Cisplatin Chemotherapy regimen
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 81560443, 81760546) and the Scientific Research and Technology Development Program of Guilin (No.20170109-22).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest for this manuscript.
- 2.Her C (2001) Nasopharyngeal cancer and the Southeast Asian patient. Am Fam Physician 63:1776–1782Google Scholar
- 3.Chen L, Hu CS, Chen XZ, Hu GQ, Cheng ZB, Sun Y, Li WX, Chen YY, Xie FY, Liang SB, Chen Y, Xu TT, Li B, Long GX, Wang SY, Zheng BM, Guo Y, Sun Y, Mao YP, Tang LL, Chen YM, Liu MZ, Ma J (2012) Concurrent chemoradiotherapy plus adjuvant chemotherapy versus concurrent chemoradiotherapy alone in patients with locoregionally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a phase 3 multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 13:163–171CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Garden AS, Harris J, Vokes EE, Forastiere AA, Ridge JA, Jones C, Horwitz EM, Glisson BS, Nabell L, Cooper JS, Demas W, Gore E (2004) Preliminary results of radiation therapy oncology group 97-03: a randomized phase ii trial of concurrent radiation and chemotherapy for advanced squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. J Clin Oncol 22:2856–2864CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Xu J, He X, Cheng K, Guo W, Bian X, Jiang X, Zhang L, Huang S (2014) Concurrent chemoradiotherapy with nedaplatin plus paclitaxel or fluorouracil for locoregionally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: survival and toxicity. Head Neck 36:1474–1480Google Scholar
- 10.Bergman AM, Ruiz VHV, Veerman G, Kuiper CM, Peters GJ (1996) Synergistic interaction between cisplatin and gemcitabine in vitro. Clin Cancer Res 2:521–530Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang L, Huang Y, Hong S, Yang Y, Yu G, Jia J, Peng P, Wu X, Lin Q, Xi X, Peng J, Xu M, Chen D, Lu X, Wang R, Cao X, Chen X, Lin Z, Xiong J, Lin Q, Xie C, Li Z, Pan J, Li J, Wu S, Lian Y, Yang Q, Zhao C (2016) Gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus fluorouracil plus cisplatin in recurrent or metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a multicentre, randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet 388:1883–1892CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Dong YY, Xiang C, Lu JX, Su YX, Pan YF, Cai R, Zhang RJ, He ZK, Liu ML, Huang H, Bai X, Tang HY, Shi YH, Wang Y, Jiang W (2016) Concurrent chemoradiotherapy plus adjuvant chemotherapy versus concurrent chemoradiotherapy in locoregionally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a matched-pair multicenter analysis of outcomes. Strahlenther Onkol 192:394–402CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Hui EP, Ma BB, Leung SF, King AD, Mo F, Kam MK, Yu BK, Chiu SK, Kwan WH, Ho R, Chan I, Ahuja AT, Zee BC, Chan AT (2009) Randomized Phase II trial of concurrent cisplatin-radiotherapy with or without neoadjuvant docetaxel and cisplatin in advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 27:242–249CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Wee J, Tan EH, Tai BC, Wong HB, Leong SS, Tan T, Chua ET, Yang E, Lee KM, Fong KW, Hoon SKT, Lee KS, Loong S, Sethi V, Chua EJ, Machin D (2005) Randomized trial of radiotherapy versus concurrent chemoradiotherapy followed by adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with american joint committee on cancer/international union against cancer stage iii and iv nasopharyngeal cancer of the endemic variety. J Clin Oncol 23:6730–6738CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Ma BB, Hui EP, Wong SC, Tung SY, Yuen KK, King A, Chan SL, Leung SF, Kam MK, Yu BK, Zee B, Chan AT (2009) Multicenter phase II study of gemcitabine and oxaliplatin in advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma–correlation with excision repair cross-complementing-1 polymorphisms. Ann Oncol 20:1854–1859CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Zhao L, Xu M, Jiang W, Pan H, Zang J, Luo S, Wang J, Zhou Y, Shi M (2017) Induction chemotherapy for the treatment of non-endemic locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncotarget 8:6763–6774Google Scholar
- 25.Lim AM, Corry J, Collins M, Peters L, Hicks RJ, D’Costa I, Coleman A, Chua M, Solomon B, Rischin D (2013) A phase II study of induction carboplatin and gemcitabine followed by chemoradiotherapy for the treatment of locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oral Oncol 49:468–474CrossRefGoogle Scholar