Phase II study to evaluate the efficacy of Trastuzumab in combination with Capecitabine and Oxaliplatin in first-line treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric cancer: HERXO trial
- 162 Downloads
The phase III ToGA trial established cisplatin, fluoropyrimidine and trastuzumab as the standard treatment in HER2-positive advanced gastric cancer (AGC). However, as demonstrated in HER2-negative AGC, oxaliplatin-based regimens could improve tolerance remaining effective. The aim of this trial was to explore the potential activity and safety of capecitabine, oxaliplatin (XELOX) and trastuzumab in patients with HER-2 positive advanced gastric cancer.
We conducted a multicentre, prospective, non-randomised, non-controlled, open-label and national (Spanish) phase II study. Patients with HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction (EGJ) cancer received XELOX and trastuzumab as first-line treatment. Primary endpoint was objective tumour response rate (ORR).
45 patients from ten hospitals in Spain were included from September 2011 to December 2013. Median age was 65 years, 82.2% were male, 69% had gastric cancer and 31% had EGJ tumours. At a median follow-up of 13.7 months (7.1–20.9), the estimated median progression-free survival and overall survival were 7.1 (95% CI 5.5–8.7) and 13.8 months (95% CI 10.1–17.4), respectively, with 8.9%, 37.8% and 31.1% of patients achieving complete response, partial response and stable disease. Regarding safety, 44.4% of the patients had grade 3 or greater adverse events, being the most frequent diarrhoea (26.6%), fatigue (15.5%), nausea (20%) and vomiting (13.3%). Only two patients (4.4%) developed asymptomatic grade 2 left ventricle ejection fraction reduction.
XELOX-trastuzumab is a promising and effective therapy as first-line treatment for patients with HER2-positive AGC, with comparable results to the ones obtained with other “platinum-based” regimens. This scheme is feasible and tolerable with a low incidence of cardiac toxicity.
KeywordsAdvanced gastric cancer HER2 positive Phase II study Oxaliplatin Capecitabine Trastuzumab
We are indebted to the all patients and investigators who have contributed to this study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
FR: Advisory boards, conferences, travel expenses and investigational grants from Roche Pharma, Sanofi, MSD, BMS, Merck-Serono, Bayer, Amgen, Servier and Celgene. CL: Advisory boards, conferences, travel expenses and investigational grants from Roche Pharma and Sanofi. JB: Advisory boards, conferences, travel expenses and investigational grants from Roche Pharma, Novartis, Ipsen, Pfizer, AAA and Celgene.
- 2.Bang YJ, Van Cutsem E, Feyereislova A, Chung HC, Shen L, Sawaki A, Lordick F, Ohtsu A, Omuro Y, Satoh T, Aprile G, Kulikov E, Hill J, Lehle M, Ruschoff J, Kang YK, To GATI (2010) Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-esophageal junction cancer (TOGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomized controlled trial. Lancet 376(9742):687–697CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Cunningham D, Starling N, Rao S, Iveson T, Nicolson M, Coxon F, Middleton G, Daniel F, Oates J, Norman AR, Upper Gastrointestinal Clinical Studies Group of the National Cancer Research Institute of the United Kingdom (2008) Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancer. N Engl J Med 358(1):36–46CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kang YK, Kang WK, Shin DB, Chen J, Xiong J, Wang J, Lichinitser M, Guan Z, Khasanov R, Zheng L, Philco-Salas M, Suarez T, Santamaria J, Forster G, McCloud PI (2009) Capecitabine/cisplatin versus 5-fluorouracil/ cisplatin as first-line therapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer: a randomised phase III non inferiority trial. Ann Oncol 20(4):666–673CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Al-Batran SE, Hartmann JT, Probst S, Schmalenberg H, Hollerbach S, Hofheinz R, Rethwisch V, Seipelt G, Homann N, Wilhelm G, Schuch G, Stoehlmacher J, Derigs HG, Hegewisch-Becker S, Grossmann J, Pauligk C, Atmaca A, Bokemeyer C, Knuth A, Jäger E, Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie (2008) Phase III trial in metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma with fluorouracil, leucovorin plus either oxaliplatin or cisplatin: a study of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie. J Clin Oncol 26(9):1435–1442CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Bang YJ, Kim YW, Yang HK, Chung HC, Park YK, Lee KH, Lee KW, Kim YH, Noh SI, Cho JY, Mok YJ, Kim YH, Ji J, Yeh TS, Button P, Sirzén F, Noh SH, CLASSIC trial investigators (2012) Adjuvant capecitabine and oxaliplatin for gastric cancer after D2 gastrectomy (CLASSIC): a phase 3 open-label, randomized controlled trial. Lancet 379:315–321CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dong N, Jiang W, Li H, Liu Z, Xu X, Wang M (2009) Triweekly oxaliplatin plus oral capecitabine as first-line chemotherapy in elderly patients with advanced gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 32(6):559–563Google Scholar
- 11.Harada S, Yanagisawa M, Kaneko S, Yorozu K, Yamamoto K, Moriya Y, Harada N (2015) Superior antitumor activity of trastuzumab combined with capecitabine plus oxaliplatin in a human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive human gastric cancer xenograft model. Mol Clin Oncol 3(5):987–994CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Soularue É, Cohen R, Tournigand C, Zaanan A, Louvet C, Bachet JB, Hentic O, Samalin E, Chibaudel B, de Gramont A, André T, for GERCOR (2015) Efficacy and safety of trastuzumab in combination with oxaliplatin and fluorouracil-based chemotherapy for patients with HER2-positive metastatic gastric and gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma patients: a retrospective study. Bull Cancer 102(4):324–331CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gong J, Liu T, Fan Q, Bai L, Bi F, Qin S, Wang J, Xu N, Cheng Y, Bai Y, Liu W, Wang L, Shen L (2016) Optimal regimen of trastuzumab in combination with oxaliplatin/ capecitabine in first-line treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric cancer (CGOG1001): a multicenter, phase II trial. BMC Cancer 16:68CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Rivera F, Jimenez-Fonseca P, Alfonso P, Gallego J, Limon M, Alsina M, Lopez-Gomez L, Galan M, Falco E, Manzano J, Gonzalez E, Aranda E, Fernandez E, Jorge M (2015) NEOHX study: perioperative treatment with trastuzumab in combination with capecitabine and oxaliplatin (XELOX-T) in patients with HER-2 resectable stomach or esophagogastric junction (EGJ) adenocarcinoma—18 m DFS analysis. J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol 33(s3):abstr 107CrossRefGoogle Scholar