MircroRNA-139 sensitizes ovarian cancer cell to cisplatin-based chemotherapy through regulation of ATP7A/B
Ovarian cancer remains a most malignant female cancer nowadays. The acquisition of chemoresistance to common-used cisplatin-based chemotherapy results in a decreased overall patient survival. The present study is aimed to investigate the role and mechanism by which miR-139/ ATPases7A/B axis modulates the chemoresistance of ovarian cancer to cisplatin-based chemotherapy.
The expression of miR-139 in cisplatin-sensitive (n = 23) and cisplatin-resistant (n = 14) ovarian cancer tissues and cell lines (CAOV-3 and SNU119) was determined using real-time PCR assays; its effect on ovarian cancer cell chemoresistance to different concentrations of cisplatin was then assessed by measuring the cell viability using MTT assays. Next, miR-139 binding to the 3′UTR of ATP7A/B was confirmed using luciferase reporter gene assays. Finally, the combined effect of miR-139 and ATP7A/B on the chemoresistance of ovarian cancer cell was assessed.
miR-139 expression was down-regulated in cisplatin-resistant ovarian cancer tissues (**P < 0.01) and reduced by cisplatin treatment in ovarian cell lines (*P < 0.05, **P < 0.01); miR-139 could enhance cisplatin-induced suppression on ovarian cancer cell viability, shown as reduced lC50 values; ATP7A and ATP7B protein levesincreased approximately 2 ~ fold-changein cisplatin-resistant cell lines. MiR-139 directly bound to the 3′UTR of ATP7A/B, respectively; miR-139 inhibition increased lC50 values whereas ATP7A/B knockdown reduced lC50 values of CAOV-3 and SNU119 cell lines under cisplatin treatment; the effect of miR-139 inhibition could be partially attenuated by ATP7A/B knockdown.
MiR-139/ATP7A/B axis can be a reliable biomarker for ovarian cancer diagnosis, and may affect the chemoresistance of ovarian cancer to cisplatin-based chemotherapy; rescuing miR-139 expression thus to inhibit ATP7A/B might contribute to dealing with the chemoresistance of ovarian cancer.
KeywordsOvarian cancer Chemoresistance Cisplatin (cDDP) MiR-139 ATP7A ATP7B
Author contributions statement
Fang Xiao designed and performed the experiments, wrote the manuscript. Fang Xiao and Yueran Li have contributed to experimental work and data analysis. Yajun Wan and Min Xue conducted the experiments and revised the manuscript. All authors have read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Author Fang Xiao declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author Yueran Li declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author Yajun Wan declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author Min Xue declares that she has no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 9.Yang N, Kaur S, Volinia S, Greshock J, Lassus H, Hasegawa K, Liang S, Leminen A, Deng S, Smith L, Johnstone CN, Chen XM, Liu CG, Huang Q, Katsaros D, Calin GA, Weber BL, Butzow R, Croce CM, Coukos G, Zhang L (2008) MicroRNA microarray identifies Let-7i as a novel biomarker and therapeutic target in human epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer Res 68(24):10307–10314. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-1954 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Pal MK, Jaiswar SP, Dwivedi VN, Tripathi AK, Dwivedi A, Sankhwar P (2015) MicroRNA: a new and promising potential biomarker for diagnosis and prognosis of ovarian cancer. Cancer Biol Med 12(4):328–341. https://doi.org/10.7497/j.issn.2095-3941.2015.0024 PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Hu Y, Deng C, Zhang H, Zhang J, Peng B, Hu C (2017) Long non-coding RNA XIST promotes cell growth and metastasis through regulating miR-139-5p mediated Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway in bladder cancer. Oncotarget 8(55):94554–94568. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.21791 PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yue S, Wang L, Zhang H, Min Y, Lou Y, Sun H, Jiang Y, Zhang W, Liang A, Guo Y, Chen P, Lv G, Wang L, Zong Q, Li Y (2015) miR-139-5p suppresses cancer cell migration and invasion through targeting ZEB1 and ZEB2 in GBM. Tumour Biol 36(9):6741–6749. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3372-8 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Ke X, Ke S, Xin L, Li Y, Nagao N, Li J, Liu J, Yin P (2016) MiR-139-5p reverses CD44+/CD133+-associated multidrug resistance by downregulating NOTCH1 in colorectal carcinoma cells. Oncotarget 7(46):75118Google Scholar
- 20.Mangala LS, Zuzel V, Schmandt R, Leshane ES, Halder JB, Armaiz-Pena GN, Spannuth WA, Tanaka T, Shahzad MM, Lin YG, Nick AM, Danes CG, Lee JW, Jennings NB, Vivas-Mejia PE, Wolf JK, Coleman RL, Siddik ZH, Lopez-Berestein G, Lutsenko S, Sood AK (2009) Therapeutic targeting of ATP7B in ovarian carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 15(11):3770–3780. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2306 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 27.Current FIGO. staging for cancer of the vagina, fallopian tube, ovary, and gestational trophoblastic neoplasia (2009). Int J Gynaecol Obstet 105 (1):3–4Google Scholar
- 30.Zhu X, Shen H, Yin X, Long L, Chen X, Feng F, Liu Y, Zhao P, Xu Y, Li M, Xu W, Li Y (2017) IL-6R/STAT3/miR-204 feedback loop contributes to cisplatin resistance of epithelial ovarian cancer cells. Oncotarget 8(24):39154–39166. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.16610 PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 38.Dwivedi SK, Mustafi SB, Mangala LS, Jiang D, Pradeep S, Rodriguez-Aguayo C, Ling H, Ivan C, Mukherjee P, Calin GA, Lopez-Berestein G, Sood AK, Bhattacharya R (2016) Therapeutic evaluation of microRNA-15a and microRNA-16 in ovarian cancer. Oncotarget 7(12):15093–15104. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.7618 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Zhao M, Su Z, Zhang S, Zhuang L, Xie Y, Li X (2016) Suppressive role of MicroRNA-148a in cell proliferation and invasion in ovarian cancer through targeting transforming growth factor-beta-induced 2. Oncol Res 24(5):353–360. https://doi.org/10.3727/096504016X14685034103275 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 43.Benson EA, Skaar TC, Liu Y, Nephew KP, Matei D (2015) Carboplatin with decitabine therapy, in recurrent platinum resistant ovarian cancer, alters circulating miRNAs concentrations: A Pilot Study. PLoS One 10(10):e0141279. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0141279 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar