Incidence and evaluation of predisposition to cardiovascular toxicity in chronic myeloid leukemia patients treated with bosutinib in the real-life practice
- 156 Downloads
There is little information about cardiovascular adverse event (CV-AE) incidence in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) patients treated with bosutinib in the real-life practice. We identified 54 consecutive CML patients treated with bosutinib, stratified according to the Systematic Coronary Risk Evaluation (SCORE) assessment, based on sex, age, smoking habits, systolic blood pressure, and total cholesterol levels. The 40-month cumulative incidence of CV-AEs was 25.2 ± 8.1%. Patients with the SCORE of high–very high showed a significantly higher incidence of CV-AEs (55 ± 12.9% vs 9 ± 9.5%; p = 0.002). Overall, 9 CV-AEs were reported, with 2 deaths attributed to CV-AE. In conclusion, the SCORE assessment before starting treatment is helpful in identifying CV-AE high-risk patients during bosutinib treatment.
KeywordsChronic myeloid leukemia Bosutinib Cardiovascular risk Acetylsalicylic acid
We are deeply grateful to the patients who participated in this study.
Conception and design: GC and MB
Collection and assembly of data: GC, OM, EA, AI, MA, EO, SG, GB, NS, LL, BM, ARR, MB, CF, MMT, DC, CE, CB, FDG, MM, GLN, RF, and MB
Statistical analysis: GC, OM, and FE
Manuscript writing: GC and MB
Final approval of the manuscript: GC, OM, EA, AI, MA, EO, SG, GB, NS, LL, BM, ARR, MB, CF, MMT, DC, CE, CB, FDG, MM, GLN, RF, and MB
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Ethics approval and consent to participate
Data on patients were retrospectively collected in accordance with the 1975 guidelines of the Declaration of Helsinki.
- 1.Puttini M, Coluccia AML, Boschelli F, Cleris L, Marchesi E, Donella-Deana A, Ahmed S, Redaelli S, Piazza R, Magistroni V, Andreoni F, Scapozza L, Formelli F, Gambacorti-Passerini C (2006) In vitro and in vivo activity of SKI-606, a novel Src-Abl inhibitor, against imatinib-resistant Bcr-Abl+ neoplastic cells. Cancer Res 66(23):11314–11322CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Cortes JE, Gambacorti-Passerini C, Deininger MW, Mauro MJ, Chuah C, Kim D-W, Dyagil I, Glushko N, Milojkovic D, le Coutre P, Garcia-Gutierrez V, Reilly L, Jeynes-Ellis A, Leip E, Bardy-Bouxin N, Hochhaus A, Brümmendorf TH (2018) Bosutinib versus imatinib for newly diagnosed chronic myeloid leukemia: results from the randomized BFORE trial. J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol 36(3):231–237CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Brümmendorf TH, Cortes JE, de Souza CA, Guilhot F, Duvillié L, Pavlov D, Gogat K, Countouriotis AM, Gambacorti-Passerini C (2015) Bosutinib versus imatinib in newly diagnosed chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukaemia: results from the 24-month follow-up of the BELA trial. Br J Haematol 168(1):69–81CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Perk J, De Backer G, Gohlke H, Graham I, Reiner Z, Verschuren WMM et al (2012) European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (version 2012): the fifth joint task force of the European society of cardiology and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (constituted by representatives of nine societies and by invited experts). Int J Behav Med 19(4):403–488CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Caocci G, Mulas O, Annunziata M, Luciano L, Bonifacio M, Orlandi EM, Pregno P, Galimberti S, Russo Rossi A, Abruzzese E, Iurlo A, Martino B, Sgherza N, Binotto G, Castagnetti F, Gozzini A, Fozza C, Bocchia M, Sicuranza A, Stagno F, Efficace F, Usala E, de Gregorio F, Scaffidi L, Elena C, Pirillo F, Baratè C, Trawinska MM, Cattaneo D, Labate C, Gugliotta G, Molica M, Specchia G, la Nasa G, Foà R, Breccia M (2018) Cardiovascular toxicity in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia treated with second-generation tyrosine kinase inhibitors in the real-life practice: identification of risk factors and the role of prophylaxis. Am J Hematol 93(7):E159–E161CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Rea D, Mirault T, Raffoux E, Boissel N, Andreoli AL, Rousselot P, Dombret H, Messas E (2015) Usefulness of the 2012 European CVD risk assessment model to identify patients at high risk of cardiovascular events during nilotinib therapy in chronic myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 29(5):1206–1209CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Baccarani M, Deininger MW, Rosti G, Hochhaus A, Soverini S, Apperley JF, Cervantes F, Clark RE, Cortes JE, Guilhot F, Hjorth-Hansen H, Hughes TP, Kantarjian HM, Kim DW, Larson RA, Lipton JH, Mahon FX, Martinelli G, Mayer J, Muller MC, Niederwieser D, Pane F, Radich JP, Rousselot P, Saglio G, Saussele S, Schiffer C, Silver R, Simonsson B, Steegmann JL, Goldman JM, Hehlmann R (2013) European LeukemiaNet recommendations for the management of chronic myeloid leukemia: 2013. Blood. 122(6):872–884CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Douxfils J, Haguet H, Mullier F, Chatelain C, Graux C, Dogné J-M (2016) Association between BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase inhibitors for chronic myeloid leukemia and cardiovascular events, major molecular response, and overall survival: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Oncol 2:625–632CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Cortes JE, Jean Khoury H, Kantarjian H, Brümmendorf TH, Mauro MJ, Matczak E, Pavlov D, Aguiar JM, Fly KD, Dimitrov S, Leip E, Shapiro M, Lipton JH, Durand JB, Gambacorti-Passerini C (2016) Long-term evaluation of cardiac and vascular toxicity in patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive leukemias treated with bosutinib. Am J Hematol 91(6):606–616CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Caocci G, Mulas O, Abruzzese E, Luciano L, Iurlo A, Attolico I et al (2019) Arterial occlusive events in chronic myeloid leukemia patients treated with ponatinib in the real-life practice are predicted by the Systematic Coronary Risk Evaluation (SCORE) chart. Hematol Oncol Mar 20. https://doi.org/10.1002/hon.2606. [Epub ahead of print]