Outcomes of myeloablative peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for non-complete remission patients with relapsed/refractory peripheral T cell lymphomas
There was limited information about the efficacy of myeloablative allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation (allo-PBSCT) in non-complete remission (non-CR) patients with relapsed/refractory peripheral T cell lymphomas (PTCLs). We conducted a retrospective study of 21 consecutive non-CR patients with relapsed/refractory PTCLs who received myeloablative allo-PBSCT between January 2008 and June 2016. The median follow-up of survivors was 46.5 months (range, 14–105 months). The estimated 3-year relapse rate was 24% (95% CI, 9 to 43%). The 3-year non-relapsed mortality rate was 24% (95% CI, 9 to 44%). Overall, the estimated 3-year overall survival was 47% (95% CI, 25 to 66%). And the estimated 3-year progression-free survival was 46% (95% CI, 24 to 66%). Specifically, eight patients failed to achieve a CR at the first evaluation 3 months after allo-PBSCT and received withdraw of immunosuppression. Five patients also received donor lymphocytes infusions. Five (5/8, 62.5%) patients responded subsequently to these interventions (complete = 4, partial = 1). Overall, ten patients were alive at our last follow-ups, and durable CR were achieved in nine patients without further therapy. Five (50%) of these ten alive patients experienced chronic graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). Our favorable clinical outcomes suggested myeloablative allo-PBSCT was a valid therapeutic option for non-CR patients with relapsed/refractory PTCLs. The sustained CR after immunotherapeutic intervention and high prevalence of chronic GVHD in alive patients provided evidence of graft versus T cell lymphoma effects.
KeywordsPeripheral T cell lymphoma Relapsed/refractory Allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation Non-CR Graft versus lymphoma effects
angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma
anaplastic large cell lymphoma
allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation
autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, prednisone
donor lymphocyte infusions
graft versus host disease
hepatosplenic γ/δ lymphoma
NK/T cell lymphoma
peripheral T cell lymphomas
peripheral T cell lymphoma not otherwise specified
Chunji Gao, Daihong Liu, Wenrong Huang designed the study and initiated this work; Data was obtained by Zhenyang Gu, Lu Wang, Quanshun Wang, Honghua Li, Jian Bo, Shuhong Wang, Yu Zhao, Fei Li, Chunji Gao, Daihong Liu, Wenrong Huang. Monitoring and all statistical analyses were performed by Zhenyang Gu, Lu Wang, Chunji Gao, Daihong Liu, Wenrong Huang. Zhenyang Gu wrote the paper; all the authors were involved in the interpretation of the results; read, gave comments, and approved the final version of the manuscript; had full access to the data in the study; and take responsibility for the accuracy of the data analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors did not have any grants for this manuscript. All authors declared that they had no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. The Medical Ethics Committee of PLA General Hospital reviewed and approved this study.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
Consent for publication
All authors agree that this manuscript can be published in Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research.
Availability of data and material
All data and material are available in this manuscript.
- 1.The Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Classification Project (1997) A clinical evaluation of the International Lymphoma Study Group classification of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Blood 89(11):3909–3918Google Scholar
- 3.Bellei M, Foss FM, Shustov AR, Horwitz SM, Marcheselli L, Kim WS, Cabrera ME, Dlouhy I, Nagler A, Advani RH, Pesce EA, Ko YH, Martinez V, Montoto S, Chiattone C, Moskowitz A, Spina M, Biasoli I, Manni M, Federico M, International TcPN (2018) The outcome of peripheral T-cell lymphoma patients failing first-line therapy: a report from the prospective, international T-cell project. Haematologica 103(7):1191–1197. https://doi.org/10.3324/haematol.2017.186577 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Nickelsen M, Ziepert M, Zeynalova S, Glass B, Metzner B, Leithaeuser M, Mueller-Hermelink HK, Pfreundschuh M, Schmitz N (2009) High-dose CHOP plus etoposide (MegaCHOEP) in T-cell lymphoma: a comparative analysis of patients treated within trials of the German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group (DSHNHL). Ann Oncol 20(12):1977–1984. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp211 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rodriguez J, Munsell M, Yazji S, Hagemeister FB, Younes A, Andersson B, Giralt S, Gajewski J, de Lima M, Couriel D, Romaguera J, Cabanillas FF, Champlin RE, Khouri IF (2001) Impact of high-dose chemotherapy on peripheral T-cell lymphomas. J Clin Oncol 19(17):3766–3770. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2001.19.17.3766 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Rodriguez J, Conde E, Gutierrez A, Lahuerta JJ, Arranz R, Sureda A, Zuazu J, Fernandez de Sevilla A, Bendandi M, Solano C, Leon A, Varela MR, Caballero MD, Grupo Espanol de Linfomas/Trasplante Autologo de Medula Osea SLABMTSG (2007) The adjusted International Prognostic Index and beta-2-microglobulin predict the outcome after autologous stem cell transplantation in relapsing/refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Haematologica 92(8):1067–1074CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Corradini P, Tarella C, Zallio F, Dodero A, Zanni M, Valagussa P, Gianni AM, Rambaldi A, Barbui T, Cortelazzo S (2006) Long-term follow-up of patients with peripheral T-cell lymphomas treated up-front with high-dose chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation. Leukemia 20(9):1533–1538. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.leu.2404306 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Mak V, Hamm J, Chhanabhai M, Shenkier T, Klasa R, Sehn LH, Villa D, Gascoyne RD, Connors JM, Savage KJ (2013) Survival of patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma after first relapse or progression: spectrum of disease and rare long-term survivors. J Clin Oncol 31(16):1970–1976. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.44.7524 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Huang H, Jiang Y, Wang Q, Guo L, Jin Z, Fu Z, Han Y, Sun A, Liu W, Ruan J, Wu D (2017) Outcome of allogeneic and autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation for high-risk peripheral T cell lymphomas: a retrospective analysis from a Chinese center. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 23(8):1393–1397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.04.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Loirat M, Chevallier P, Leux C, Moreau A, Bossard C, Guillaume T, Gastinne T, Delaunay J, Blin N, Mahe B, Dubruille V, Augeul-Meunier K, Peterlin P, Maisonneuve H, Moreau P, Juge-Morineau N, Jardel H, Mohty M, Moreau P, Le Gouill S (2015) Upfront allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for patients with nonlocalized untreated peripheral T-cell lymphoma: an intention-to-treat analysis from a single center. Ann Oncol 26(2):386–392. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu515 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Kyriakou C, Canals C, Finke J, Kobbe G, Harousseau JL, Kolb HJ, Novitzky N, Goldstone AH, Sureda A, Schmitz N (2009) Allogeneic stem cell transplantation is able to induce long-term remissions in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma: a retrospective study from the lymphoma working party of the European group for blood and marrow transplantation. J Clin Oncol 27(24):3951–3958. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.20.4628 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Corradini P, Dodero A, Zallio F, Caracciolo D, Casini M, Bregni M, Narni F, Patriarca F, Boccadoro M, Benedetti F, Rambaldi A, Gianni AM, Tarella C (2004) Graft-versus-lymphoma effect in relapsed peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas after reduced-intensity conditioning followed by allogeneic transplantation of hematopoietic cells. J Clin Oncol 22(11):2172–2176. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.12.050 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Le Gouill S, Milpied N, Buzyn A, De Latour RP, Vernant JP, Mohty M, Moles MP, Bouabdallah K, Bulabois CE, Dupuis J, Rio B, Gratecos N, Yakoub-Agha I, Attal M, Tournilhac O, Decaudin D, Bourhis JH, Blaise D, Volteau C, Michallet M, Societe Francaise de Greffe de Moelle et de Therapie C (2008) Graft-versus-lymphoma effect for aggressive T-cell lymphomas in adults: a study by the Societe Francaise de Greffe de Moelle et de Therapie Cellulaire. J Clin Oncol 26(14):2264–2271. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.14.1366 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Dodero A, Spina F, Narni F, Patriarca F, Cavattoni I, Benedetti F, Ciceri F, Baronciani D, Scime R, Pogliani E, Rambaldi A, Bonifazi F, Dalto S, Bruno B, Corradini P (2012) Allogeneic transplantation following a reduced-intensity conditioning regimen in relapsed/refractory peripheral T-cell lymphomas: long-term remissions and response to donor lymphocyte infusions support the role of a graft-versus-lymphoma effect. Leukemia 26(3):520–526. https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2011.240 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Maris MB, Niederwieser D, Sandmaier BM, Storer B, Stuart M, Maloney D, Petersdorf E, McSweeney P, Pulsipher M, Woolfrey A, Chauncey T, Agura E, Heimfeld S, Slattery J, Hegenbart U, Anasetti C, Blume K, Storb R (2003) HLA-matched unrelated donor hematopoietic cell transplantation after nonmyeloablative conditioning for patients with hematologic malignancies. Blood 102(6):2021–2030. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2003-02-0482 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Huang WR, Li HH, Gao CJ, Bo J, Li F, Dou LP, Wang LL, Jing Y, Wang L, Liu DH, Yu L (2016) Haploidentical, unmanipulated G-CSF-primed peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for high-risk hematologic malignancies: an update. Bone Marrow Transplant 51(11):1464–1469. https://doi.org/10.1038/bmt.2016.166 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Bishop MR, Dean RM, Steinberg SM, Odom J, Pavletic SZ, Chow C, Pittaluga S, Sportes C, Hardy NM, Gea-Banacloche J, Kolstad A, Gress RE, Fowler DH (2008) Clinical evidence of a graft-versus-lymphoma effect against relapsed diffuse large B-cell lymphoma after allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation. Ann Oncol 19(11):1935–1940. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn404 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Przepiorka D, Weisdorf D, Martin P, Klingemann HG, Beatty P, Hows J, Thomas ED (1995) 1994 Consensus conference on acute GVHD grading. Bone Marrow Transplant 15(6):825–828Google Scholar
- 23.Cheson BD, Horning SJ, Coiffier B, Shipp MA, Fisher RI, Connors JM, Lister TA, Vose J, Grillo-Lopez A, Hagenbeek A, Cabanillas F, Klippensten D, Hiddemann W, Castellino R, Harris NL, Armitage JO, Carter W, Hoppe R, Canellos GP (1999) Report of an international workshop to standardize response criteria for non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas. NCI Sponsored International Working Group. J Clin Oncol 17(4):1244. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1994 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Cheson BD, Pfistner B, Juweid ME, Gascoyne RD, Specht L, Horning SJ, Coiffier B, Fisher RI, Hagenbeek A, Zucca E, Rosen ST, Stroobants S, Lister TA, Hoppe RT, Dreyling M, Tobinai K, Vose JM, Connors JM, Federico M, Diehl V, International Harmonization Project on L (2007) Revised response criteria for malignant lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 25(5):579–586. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.2403 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Shustov AR, Gooley TA, Sandmaier BM, Shizuru J, Sorror ML, Sahebi F, McSweeney P, Niederwieser D, Bruno B, Storb R, Maloney DG (2010) Allogeneic haematopoietic cell transplantation after nonmyeloablative conditioning in patients with T-cell and natural killer-cell lymphomas. Br J Haematol 150(2):170–178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2010.08210.x Google Scholar
- 26.Jacobsen ED, Kim HT, Ho VT, Cutler CS, Koreth J, Fisher DC, Armand P, Alyea EP, Freedman AS, Soiffer RJ, Antin JH (2011) A large single-center experience with allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma and advanced mycosis fungoides/Sezary syndrome. Ann Oncol 22(7):1608–1613. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq698 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Goldberg JD, Chou JF, Horwitz S, Teruya-Feldstein J, Barker JN, Boulad F, Castro-Malaspina H, Giralt S, Jakubowski AA, Koehne G, van den Brink MRM, Young JW, Zhang Z, Papadopoulos EB, Perales MA (2012) Long-term survival in patients with peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Leuk Lymphoma 53(6):1124–1129. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2011.645818 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Kanakry JA, Kasamon YL, Gocke CD, Tsai HL, Davis-Sproul J, Ghosh N, Symons H, Bolanos-Meade J, Gladstone DE, Swinnen LJ, Luznik L, Fuchs EJ, Jones RJ, Ambinder RF (2013) Outcomes of related donor HLA-identical or HLA-haploidentical allogeneic blood or marrow transplantation for peripheral T cell lymphoma. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 19(4):602–606. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbmt.2013.01.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Gooley TA, Chien JW, Pergam SA, Hingorani S, Sorror ML, Boeckh M, Martin PJ, Sandmaier BM, Marr KA, Appelbaum FR, Storb R, McDonald GB (2010) Reduced mortality after allogeneic hematopoietic-cell transplantation. N Engl J Med 363(22):2091–2101. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1004383 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Hamadani M, Benson DM Jr, Hofmeister CC, Elder P, Blum W, Porcu P, Garzon R, Blum KA, Lin TS, Marcucci G, Devine SM (2009) Allogeneic stem cell transplantation for patients with relapsed chemorefractory aggressive non-hodgkin lymphomas. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15(5):547–553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbmt.2009.01.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Horowitz MM, Gale RP, Sondel PM, Goldman JM, Kersey J, Kolb HJ, Rimm AA, Ringden O, Rozman C, Speck B et al (1990) Graft-versus-leukemia reactions after bone marrow transplantation. Blood 75(3):555–562Google Scholar