Novel synthetic 4-chlorobenzoyl berbamine inhibits c-Myc expression and induces apoptosis of diffuse large B cell lymphoma cells
- 10 Downloads
C-Myc expression is associated with poor prognosis and aggressive progression of diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBCL), and the development of drug-like c-Myc inhibitors remains challenging. In this study, we report a novel berbamine derivative termed 4-chlorobenzoyl berbamine (CBBM) that potently induced the apoptosis of c-Myc-overexpressing DLBCL cells but spared normal blood cells. The compound showed IC50 values ranging from 1.93 to 3.89 μmol/L in DLCBL cells and exhibited a 4.75- to 9.64-fold increase in anti-tumor activity compared to berbamine. Additionally, CBBM inhibited the proliferation of the DLBCL line OCI-Ly3 cells through G0/G1 cell-cycle arrest and induced apoptosis. Further studies have shown that CBBM treatment leads to the proteasome-dependent degradation of c-Myc protein in OCI-Ly3 cells. Interestingly, we found that the inhibitory effect of CBBM was positively correlated with basal levels of CaMKIIγ, which is a key inducer of c-Myc expression in DLBCL cells. We also observed that CBBM inhibits the JAK2/STAT3 pathway, leading to reduced c-Myc transcription. Collectively, these findings suggest that CBBM could be a promising lead compound for treatment of c-Myc-driven DLBCL.
KeywordsDLBCL c-Myc Small molecule inhibitor 4-Chlorobenzoyl berbamine
This work was supported, in part, by Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China (Y18H160083).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 7.Gabay M, Li Y, Felsher DW (2014) MYC activation is a hallmark of cancer initiation and maintenance. CSH Perspect Med. https://doi.org/10.1101/cshperspect.a014241
- 8.Valera A, López-Guillermo A, Cardesa-Salzmann T, Climent F, González-Barca E, Mercadal S, Espinosa I, Novelli S, Briones J, Mate JL, Salamero O, Sancho JM, Arenillas L, Serrano S, Erill N, Martínez D, Castillo P, Rovira J, Martínez A, Campo E, Colomo L, Grup per l’Estudi dels Limfomes de Catalunya i Balears (GELCAB) (2013) MYC protein expression and genetic alterations have prognostic impact in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with immunochemotherapy. Haematologica 98(10):1554–1562CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Colosia A, Njue A, Trask PC, Olivares R, Khan S, Abbe A, Police R, Wang J, Ruiz-Soto R, Kaye JA, Awan F (2014) Clinical efficacy and safety in relapsed/refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a systematic literature review. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 14(5):343–355Google Scholar
- 10.Esteve-Arenys A, Valero JG, Chamorro-Jorganes A, Gonzalez D, Rodriguez V, Dlouhy I, Salaverria I, Campo E, Colomer D, Martinez A, Rymkiewicz G, Perez-Galan P, Lopez-Guillermo A, Roue G (2018) The BET bromodomain inhibitor CPI203 overcomes resistance to ABT-199 (venetoclax) by downregulation of BFL-1/A1 in in vitro and in vivo models of MYC+/BCL2+ double hit lymphoma. Oncogene 37:1830–1844. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41388-017-0111-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gu Y, Chen T, Meng ZP, Gan YC, Xu XH, Lou GY, Li HZ, Gan XX, Zhou H, Tang JF, Xu GB, Huang LS, Zhang XH, Fang YM, Wang K, Zheng S, Huang WD, Xu RZ (2012) CaMKII gamma, a critical regulator of CML stem/progenitor cells, is a target of the natural product berbamine. Blood 120(24):4829–4839CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gu Y, Zhang J, Ma X, Kim BW, Wang H, Li J, Pan Y, Xu Y, Ding L, Yang L, Guo C, Wu X, Wu J, Wu K, Gan XX, Li G, Li L, Forman SJ, Chan WC, Xu RZ, Huang WD (2017) Stabilization of the c-Myc protein by CAMKIIgamma promotes T cell lymphoma. Cancer Cell 32(1):115–128CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Jiang XD, Wu ZX, Lu XY, Zhang XZ, Yu QF, Gan YC, Wu BW, Xu Y, Zheng WW, Zhang L, Xu F, Ma A, Gan XX, Huang S, Yu XF, Huang WD, Xu RZ (2017) Activation of CaMKIIγ potentiates T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia leukemogenesis via phosphorylating FOXO3a. Oncotarget 8(43):75050–75064PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Liang Y, He X, Li X, Zhang XZ, Zhang XH, Zhang L, Qiu X, Zhao XY, Xu RZ (2016) 4-Chlorbenzoyl berbamine, a novel derivative of the natural product berbamine, potently inhibits the growth of human myeloma cells by modulating the NF-κB and JNK signalling pathways. Cancer Investig 34(10):496–505CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Meng ZP, Li T, Ma X, Wang X, Ness CV, Gan YC, Zhou H, Tang JF, Lou GY, Wang YF, Wu J, Yen Y, Xu RZ, Huang WD (2013) Berbamine inhibits the growth of liver cancer cells and cancer-initiating cells by targeting Ca(2)(+)/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. Mol Cancer Ther 12(10):2067–2077CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Ma X, Meng Z, Jin L, Xiao Z, Wang X, Tsark WM, Ding L, Gu Y, Zhang J, Kim B, He M, Gan X, Shively JE, Yu H, Xu R, Huang W (2017) CAMK2gamma in intestinal epithelial cells modulates colitis-associated colorectal carcinogenesis via enhancing STAT3 activation. Oncogene 36(28):4060–4071CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 33.Huang L, Liu D, Wang N, Li SP, Tang YT, Wu J, Hao LT, Luo H, Hu XL, Sheng LS, Zhu LJ, Wang D, Luo Y, Shang Z, Xiao M, Mao X, Zhou KG, Cao LH, Dong LL, Zheng XC, Sui PP, He JL, Mo SL, Yan J, Ao QL, Qiu LG, Zhou HS, Liu QF, Zhang HY, Li JY, Jin J, Fu L, Zhao WL, Chen JP, Du X, Qing GL, Liu HD, Liu X, Huang G, Ma D, Zhou JF, Wang QF (2018) Integrated genomic analysis identifies deregulated JAK/STAT-MYC-biosynthesis axis in aggressive NK-cell leukemia. Cell Res 28(2):172–186CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar