Experimental study of trivalent rare-earth element incorporation in CaTiO3 perovskite: evidence for a new substitution mechanism
- 49 Downloads
Samples of calcium titanate perovskite (CaTiO3) substituted with variable amounts of trivalent La, Pr, Nd or Sm were synthesized by solid-state reaction. The synthesized compounds were characterized by means of electron microprobe (EMPA), powder X-ray diffraction and µ-Raman spectroscopy. The incorporation of the studied lanthanides in the CaTiO3 perovskite leads to the formation of complex (Ca1-2xLn2x)(Ti1-xCax)O3 perovskites with a Pbnm disordered structure. This mechanism was revealed by the Ca/Ti ratio analyses of the samples, the study of the lattice parameter evolution and the Raman A1g octahedral breathing mode frequency comparison for all systems.
KeywordsCaTiO3 Lanthanide Substitution mechanism Raman spectroscopy XRD
We thank Jean Didier Mertz from the Laboratoire de Recherches des Monuments Historiques (LRHM) for XRD measurements. We also thank Omar Boudouma and Michel Fialin for SEM and EMPA measurements (ISTeP). We are grateful to the two anonymous reviewers and the editorial team for their constructive comments.
- Carvajal JR (1990) FULLPROF: a program for Rietveld refinement and pattern matching analysis. Abstracts of the Satellite Meeting on Powder Diffraction of the XV Congress of the IUCrGoogle Scholar
- Gillet P, Guyot F, Price GD, Tournerie B, Le Cleach A (1993) Phase changes and thermodynamic properties of CaTiO3. Spectroscopic data, vibrational modelling and some insights on the properties of MgSiO3 perovskite. Phys Chem Miner 20(3):159–170. https://doi.org/10.1007/bf00200118 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kiran SR, Babu GS, Narayana C, Murthy VRK, Subramanian V (2013) Long range B-site cation ordering and Briet-Wigner-Fano line shape of A1g-like Ramanmode in Nd1-xSmx(Mg 0.5Ti0.5)O3 microwave dielectric ceramics. Mater Res Bull 48(2):194–199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2012.09.056 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moreira RL, Khalam LA, Sebastian MT, Dias A (2007) Raman-spectroscopic investigations on the crystal structure and phonon modes of Ba(RE1/2Ta1/2)O3microwave ceramics. J Eur Ceramic Soc 27(8–9 SPEC. ISS.):2803–2809. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2006.11.056 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moreira ML, Paris EC, do Nascimento GS, Longo VM, Sambrano JR, Mastelaro VR, Longo E (2009) Structural and optical properties of CaTiO3 perovskite-based materials obtained by microwave-assisted hydrothermal synthesis: an experimental and theoretical insight. Acta Mater 57(17):5174–5185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2009.07.019 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sakaida S, Shimokawa Y, Asaka T, Honda S, Iwamoto Y (2015) Synthesis and characterization of Eu3+-doped CaZrO3-based perovskite-type phosphors. Part I: determination of the Eu3+ occupied site using the ALCHEMI technique. Mater Res Bull 67:146–151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2015.02.043 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Santosh Babu G (2008) Structural, lattice vibrational and microwave dielectric studies on some rare earth based complex perovskites. Indian Institute of Technology Madras Chennai, ChennaiGoogle Scholar
- Vance ER, Begg BD, Hanna JV, Luca V, Hadley JH, Hsu FH (2012a) Charge Compensation in Ca(La)TiO3 Solid Solutions. Environmental Issues and Waste Management Technologies in the Ceramic and Nuclear Industries X (). Wiley, Hoboken, pp 199–206. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118408438.ch19 CrossRefGoogle Scholar