Cribriform-Morular Variant of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma: Clinical and Pathological Features of 30 Cases
- 154 Downloads
Cribriform-morular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma (CMV-PTC) is rare; it may occur in cases of familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) or be sporadic. To clarify the clinicopathological features of CMV-PTC, the medical records of these patients were investigated retrospectively.
Materials and methods
Between 1979 and 2016, a total of 17,062 cases with PTC underwent initial surgery at Ito Hospital. Of these, 30 (0.2%) cases histologically diagnosed with CMV-PTC were reviewed.
The patients were all women, with a mean age at the time of surgery of 24 years. Seven (23%) cases were thought to have FAP because they had colonic polyposis or a family history of FAP or APC gene mutation. The remaining 23 (77%) were thought to be sporadic. Multiple tumors were detected in 6 cases, with a solitary tumor in 24. One patient had lung metastasis at diagnosis. Eleven patients underwent total thyroidectomy or subtotal thyroidectomy, and 19 underwent lobectomy. Twenty-six (87%) patients underwent neck lymph node dissection. Three patients had tumor metastasis in central lymph nodes, but these were incidentally detected metastatic classical PTC (cPTC) based on histological examination. In this series, there were no cases of LN metastases of CMV-PTC. During a mean follow-up of 15 years, one patient had new cPTC in the remnant thyroid after initial surgery, and the other patients showed no signs of recurrence.
CMV-PTC occurred in young women, their long-term prognosis was excellent. Total thyroidectomy is recommended for FAP-associated CMV-PTC, but modified neck lymph node dissection is not necessary.
We thank Ms. Wakaba Iha, University of Yamanashi, for her excellent technical assistance.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest
- 9.Lloyd RV, Osamura RY, Klöppel G, et al (2017) WHO Classification of Tumours of Endocrine Organs WHO/IARC Classification of Tumours, 4th edn. International Agency for Research on CancerGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sobin L, Gospodarowicz M, Wittekind C (2009) Union for International Cancer Control classification system TNM Classification of malignant tumors, 7th edn. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar