Endoscopic Central Lymph Node Dissection via Breast Combined with Oral Approach for Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma: A Preliminary Study
- 212 Downloads
To investigate the feasibility and necessity of endoscopic thyroidectomy with central lymph node dissection via the combined breast and trans-oral approaches.
Six patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma who underwent endoscopic total thyroidectomy with central node dissection via combined breast and trans-oral approaches from November 2014 to January 2015 in Zhongshan Hospital, Xiamen University, were analyzed.
After completion of endoscopic central lymph node dissection via the traditional breast approach, eight pieces of lymph nodes could still be dissected via the trans-oral approach. Two of these eight pieces were positive for thyroid cancer metastasis.
It is advisable to perform endoscopic central lymph node dissection for thyroid carcinoma via the breast approach combined with the trans-oral approach.
KeywordsThyroid Carcinoma Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Endoscopic Resection Central Lymph Node Endoscopic Thyroidectomy
The study was approved by the Medical Ethics Committee of Zhongshan Hospital Affiliated with Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian, China (Approval No. 2015017).
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81172285).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest to declare.
All study participants provide written informed consent.
Endoscopic central lymph node dissection via breast combined with oral approach for papillary thyroid carcinoma. EBSLN external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve (MP4 137295 kb)
- 2.Li ZY, Wang P, Lin XB et al (2011) Endoscopic thyroidectomy via anterior breast approach for the treatment of papillary thyroid carcinoma: clinical analysis of 85 cases. Chin J Gen Surg 266:485–488Google Scholar
- 3.Wang P (2011) Current status and prospects of endoscopic resection of thyroid carcinoma. Cancer J Surg Concepts Pract 16(6):522–525Google Scholar
- 4.Su YH, Tang ZP, Ding ZH et al (2013) Total endoscopic thyroidectomy and cervical lymphadenectomy via trans-oral approach: an experimental study on human cadaver surgery. Chin J Surg 16(6):552–555Google Scholar
- 5.Fu J, Chen Q, Luo H et al (2012) Laparoscopic thyroidectomy via a trans-oral approach: experiences from 5 cases. Chin J Gen Surg 27(4):279–281Google Scholar
- 6.Wu GY, Fu JB, Luo HZ et al (2014) Total endoscopic thyroidectomy via a trans-oral approach: a report of 37 cases. Chin J Gen Surg 29(1):32–34Google Scholar