Focus on the Importance of Lipomid-Abdominoplasty in the Body Contouring Surgery
- 42 Downloads
During the last few years, the surgical principles of abdominoplasty remained unchanged. Therefore, many observed results have misaligned, high and straight abdominal transverse scars, leading to the final positioning of the umbilical scar to be very close to the transverse scar, which gives the impression of a short abdomen. We propose that the abdominoplasty should change the basic conception of its marking, because we believe that it is important to place the transverse scar lower in the medial and pubic region, and higher in the lateral extremities, thus allowing a rotation of the flap of the anterior flanks back lumbar in the median inferior direction.
We analyzed 136 patients with abdominal deformities and subjected them to lipomid-abdominoplasty making a marking with strong upper concavity and lateral sides of the scar oriented to the lower transverse line of the abdomen, 4 cm equidistant from the root of the thigh. We also associate liposuction as a complementary treatment to body contouring.
It is important to determine the area of the abdominal deformity and its classification, to establish the strategies of treatment, and association of complementary procedures. A lower marking respecting the treatment areas will allow a better esthetic scar and a harmonic body contour as well as an adequate placement of the elements: umbilical scar, pubis and lateral extremities of transverse abdominal scar.
Level of Evidence IV
This journal requires that authors assign a level of evidence to each article. For a full description of these Evidence-Based Medicine ratings, please refer to the Table of Contents or the online Instructions to Authors www.springer.com/00266.
KeywordsAbdominoplasty Lipoabdominoplasty Body contouring Mid-abdominoplasty Lipomid-abdominoplasty Abdominal design Abdominal marking Liposuction Mini-abdominoplasty Midiabdominoplasty
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest to disclose. The authors Alberto Caldeira, Kelly Carrión and John Jaulis did not receive financial support for research, authorship and publication of this article.
All procedures performed during this study involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 1.Caldeira AML, Nieves AP, Lima AO (1990) Cirurgia do Contorno Corporal – Reflexões sobre um novo enfoque da cirurgia plástica do abdome. 1” Parte - Classificações das deformidades abdominais e suas correlações cirúrgicas. Rev Bras Cir 80(2):95–104Google Scholar
- 4.Callia W (1965) Contribuição Para o Estudo da Correção Cirúrgica do Abdome Penduloso e Globoso. Técnica. Original. Tese. São Paulo (Brazil): Centro de cinematografia Carlo ErbaGoogle Scholar
- 5.Elbaz JS, Flageul G (1989) Liposuccion et Chirurgie Plastique de L’Abdomem. Manson, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 6.Caldeira AML, Nieves PA, Oliveira AL (1990) Cirurgia do Contorno Corporal –2ª Parte Reflexões Sobre Um Novo Enfoque da Cirurgia Plástica do Abdome. Rev Bras Cir 80(3):169–186Google Scholar
- 10.Lockwood T (2006) Lower body lift and medial thigh lift (Chapter 5). In: Aly AS (ed) Body contouring after massive weight loss. Quality Medical Publishing, Saint Louis, pp 147–181Google Scholar
- 11.Caldeira AML (2016) Chapter 30: Challenges in abdominoplasty. In: Avelar J (ed) New concepts on abdominoplasty and further applications, vol 30, no 1. Springer, Berlin, pp 481–495. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-27851-3_30
- 13.Avelar J (2016) Chapter 8: Creation of the new umbilicus: my technique on abdominoplasty and further applications. In: Avelar J (ed) New concepts on abdominoplasty and further applications, vol 8, no 1. Springer, Berlin, pp 107–126. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-27851-3_30
- 17.Pontes R (2004) Variantes das Abdominoplastias em Bloco. In: Pontes R (ed) Abdominoplastia, 1st edn. Libraria e Editora Revinter, Rio de Janeiro, pp 25–54Google Scholar