Combined pharmacotherapy for osteonecrosis of the femoral head after severe acute respiratory syndrome and interstitial pneumonia: two and a half to fourteen year follow-up
- 36 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to retrospectively analyze the clinical, functional, and radiological outcomes of combined pharmacotherapy to ONFH after high-dose corticosteroid therapy.
From August 2003 to June 2015, five patients (ten hips) of ONFH in ARCO stage I, after SARS and Interstitial pneumonia, were treated by combined pharmacotherapy. Lipo-prostaglandin E1 10 μg iv Bid × 28 days, enoxaparin 6000 iu H QD × 12 weeks, alendronate sodium tablet 10 mg QD × 1 year. The patients were fully weight-bearing following completion of the follow-up.
For these five patients (ten hips), Harris score was 100 from the diagnosis to final follow-up time. Radiologic findings show no signs of collapse, necrotic focus was repaired, and ARCO stages were changed from IC into IIB.
This combined pharmacotherapy has promising treatment results for delaying or preventing collapse of ONFH in ARCO stage I.
KeywordsOsteonecrosis of the femoral head Porous media Subchondral plate Collapse Pharmacotherapy
Compliance with ethical standards
This study was approved by the Institutional Review Board on Human Studies of the Ethical Committee of China-Japan Friendship hospital, and informed consent was obtained from all the patients.
Conflict of interest
We did not receive any benefits directly or indirectly from commercial parties.
- 7.Glimcher MJ, & Kenzora JE (1979) The biology of osteonecrosis of the human femoral head and its clinical implications: I. Tissue biology. Clin Orthop Relat Res (138), 284–309Google Scholar
- 8.Jones JP (1992) Intravascular coagulation and osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res (277):41–53Google Scholar
- 16.Glimcher MJ, Kenzora JE (1979) The biology of osteonecrosis of the human femoral head and its clinical implications. III Discussion of the etiology and genesis of thepathological sequela: comments on treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res 140:273–312Google Scholar
- 19.Detournay E and Cheng AH.-D. (1993) “Fundamentals of poroelasticity,” Chapter 5 in Comprehensive Rock Engineering: Principles, Practice and Projects, Vol. II, Analysis and Design Method, ed. C. Fairhurst, Pergamon Press, pp. 113–171Google Scholar
- 21.Zhang NF, Qi SW, Chai JF (2008) Mechanism of “crescent sign” formation in avascular necrosis of femoral head. Chin J Reparative Reconstr Surg 22(3):303–306Google Scholar