Role of 18F-FDG PET/CT in restaging and follow-up of patients with GIST
Gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) is a rare tumor with high risk of recurrence and poor prognosis in case of advanced GIST. The aim of this study was to evaluate the possible role of 18F-FDG PET/CT in restaging GIST.
Fifty-four patients (30 male) with histological proven GIST underwent 100 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging in suspected recurrence or during follow-up. Histopathology results and/or clinical/imaging follow-up for at least 12 months were considered as reference standard. Moreover, the diagnostic accuracy and clinical impact of 18F-FDG PET/CT were calculated.
Twenty-seven (27%) 18F-FDG PET/CT were positive, while the remaining 73 (73%) were negative. Sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV, and accuracy of PET/CT were 89% (95% CI 72–98%), 97% (95% CI 90–100%), 93% (95% CI 76–98%), 96% (95% CI 89–98%), and 95% (95% CI 89–98%). 18F-FDG PET/CT had a positive clinical impact in 18/100 studies changing the management, in 8 cases switching from local therapy to systemic therapy due to the detection of disseminate disease at PET/CT, in three cases recognizing relapse not detected by conventional imaging, and in 7 cases demonstrating to be true negative and avoiding unnecessary therapies.
18F-FDG PET/CT seems to be an accurate method for detection and localization of local and distant recurrence in GIST with good sensitivity and specificity and significant impact on clinical decision-making.
KeywordsGIST 18F-FDG PET/CT PET/CT Restaging
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interests
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 8.Parfitt J, Streutker C, Riddell R, Driman D. Gastrointestinal stromal tumors: A contemporary review. Pathology — Research and Practice 2006; 202: 837–847.Google Scholar
- 21.American Joint Committee on Cancer. Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor. In: AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th ed. New York, NY: Springer; 2017:523.Google Scholar
- 33.Prior JO, Montemurro M, Orcurto MV, Michielin O, Luthi F, Benhattar J, et al. Early prediction of response to sunitinib after imatinib failure by 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Journal of clinical oncology: official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2009; 27:439–45.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Kaneta T, Takahashi S, Fukuda H, Arisaka, Oriuchi N, Hayashi T, et al. Clinical significance of performing 18F-FDG PET on patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a summary of a Japanese multicenter study. Ann Nucl Med 2009;23:459–464.Google Scholar