The mean striatal 18F-DOPA uptake is not a reliable cut-off threshold for biological tumour volume definition of glioma
- 183 Downloads
We were extremely interested in the procedural guidelines for imaging gliomas with amino acid and fluorodeoxyglocose PET, published jointly by the EANM/RANO/EANO and SNMMI in your journal . Imaging with radiolabelled PET probes, particularly amino acids, has become an essential part of primary brain tumour assessment , and these joint guidelines represent an important step towards international standardization of the acquisition and interpretation criteria of this technique.
There is, however, one ambiguous point in these guidelines that needs to be addressed. This point regards the quantification of tumour extent with 3,4-dihydroxy-6-[18F]-fluoro-l-phenylalanine (FDOPA). In the paragraph “Cut-off thresholds for definition of biological tumour volume”, a standardized uptake value (SUV) higher than the mean SUV of the striatum is recommended as the cut-off value for definition of tumour volume on FDOPA PET, although it is acknowledged that this cut-off value lacks...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
This article does not describe any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Law I, Albert NL, Arbizu J, Boellaard R, Drzezga A, Galldiks N, et al. Joint EANM/EANO/RANO practice guidelines/SNMMI procedure standards for imaging of gliomas using PET with radiolabelled amino acids and [18F]FDG: version 1.0. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00259-018-4207-9.
- 2.Albert NL, Weller M, Suchorska B, Galldiks N, Soffietti R, Kim MM, et al. Response Assessment in Neuro-Oncology working group and European Association for Neuro-Oncology recommendations for the clinical use of PET imaging in gliomas. Neuro Oncol. 2016;18:1199–208.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Cicone F, Carideo L, Scaringi C, Arcella A, Giangaspero F, Scopinaro F, et al. 18F-DOPA uptake does not correlate with IDH mutation status and 1p/19q co-deletion in glioma. Ann Nucl Med. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12149-018-01328-3.
- 6.Pafundi DH, Laack NN, Youland RS, Parney IF, Lowe VJ, Giannini C, et al. Biopsy validation of 18F-DOPA PET and biodistribution in gliomas for neurosurgical planning and radiotherapy target delineation: results of a prospective pilot study. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:1058–67.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Youland RS, Pafundi DH, Brinkmann DH, Lowe VJ, Morris JM, Kemp BJ, et al. Prospective trial evaluating the sensitivity and specificity of 3,4-dihydroxy-6-[18F]-fluoro-L-phenylalanine (18F-DOPA) PET and MRI in patients with recurrent gliomas. J Neurooncol. 2018;137:583–91.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Morana G, Piccardo A, Tortora D, Puntoni M, Severino M, Nozza P, et al. Grading and outcome prediction of pediatric diffuse astrocytic tumors with diffusion and arterial spin labeling perfusion MRI in comparison with 18F-DOPA PET. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:2084–93.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Stegmayr C, Stoffels G, Kops ER, Lohmann P, Galldiks N, Shah NJ, et al. Influence of dexamethasone on O-(2-[18F]-fluoroethyl)-L-tyrosine uptake in the human brain and quantification of tumor uptake. Mol Imaging Biol. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11307-018-1221-z.