Skeletal fluorosis: don’t miss the diagnosis!
Skeletal fluorosis is a rare toxic osteopathy characterized by massive bone fixation of fluoride. The disease occurs as an endemic problem in some parts of the world and is the result of prolonged ingestion or rarely by inhalation of high amounts of fluoride. Radiographic presentation is mainly characterized by bone changes with osteocondensation and later ossification of many ligaments and interosseous membranes. Skeletal fluorosis is not clinically obvious and can be confused with other rheumatologic disorders. Its severity lies in the development of skeletal deformities and neurological complications. Management of fluorosis generally focuses on symptom treatment.
KeywordsBone condensation Imaging Ossification Skeletal fluorosis
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Datta P, Datta PP. Prevalence, etiology and clinical features of skeletal fluorosis: a critical review. Innovare J Med Sci. 2013;1:5–6.Google Scholar
- 6.Gupta N, Gupta N, Chhabra P. Image diagnosis: dental and skeletal fluorosis. Perm J. 2016;20:105–6.Google Scholar
- 10.Arlappa N, Aatif IQ, Srinivas R. Fluorosis in India: an overview. Int J Res Dev Health. 2013;1:97–102.Google Scholar
- 13.Teotia SP, Teotia M, Singh KP (2004) Highlights of forty years of research on endemic skeletal fluorosis in India. 4th International Workshop on Fluorosis Prevention and Defluoridation of Water. Colombo, Sri Lanka; March 2–6.Google Scholar
- 16.Neurath C, Limeback H, Osmunson B, Connett M, Kanter V, Wells CR. Dental fluorosis trends in US oral health surveys: 1986 to 2012. JDR Clinical and translational Research; 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/2380084419830957
- 18.Liu J, Fu Z, WU L, Ding H, Wang D-l, YU B-l. The Imaging Value of Bone Turnover of Skeletal Fluorosis. Foreign medical sciences (section of medgeography). 2004;25(2):95–98.Google Scholar
- 19.Roholm K. Fluorine intoxication: a clinical hygienic study. London: Lewis; 1937.Google Scholar
- 21.Bisseret D, Kaci R, Lafage-Proust MH, Alison M, Parlier-Cuau C, Laredo JD, et al. Periosteum: characteristic imaging findings with emphasis on radiologic-pathologic comparisons. Skelet Radiol. 2015;44:321–38.Google Scholar
- 22.Ramakrishna K, Sasikiran NO. Fluorosis-an update. Int J Res Pharmaceut. Biomed Sci. 2013;4:1084–8.Google Scholar
- 25.Numan Tamer M, Kale Köroğlu B, Arslan C, Akdoğan M, Köroğlu M, Çam H, et al. Osteosclerosis due to endemic fluorosis. Sci Total Environ. 2007;373:43–8.Google Scholar
- 31.Di Giovanni T, Eliades T, Papageorgiou SN. Interventions for dental fluorosis: a systematic review. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2018;30:502–8.Google Scholar