New approach for determination of antimicrobial susceptibility to antibiotics by an acoustic sensor
- 28 Downloads
For the first time, a rapid method was proposed to determine the susceptibility of Escherichia coli cells to antibiotics by the example of ampicillin by using a biological sensor based on a slot mode in an acoustic delay line. It has been established that an indicator of the antibiotic activity to microbial cells is the difference between the recorded sensor’s signal before and after exposure cells with antibiotic. The depth and frequency of the peaks of resonant absorption in the frequency dependence of the insertion loss of sensor varied after adding an antibiotic with different concentrations to the microbial cells. By using the acoustic sensor based on slot-mode a criterion of E. coli sensitivity to ampicillin was established. The advantages of this method are the ability to carry out the analysis directly in the liquid, the short analysis time (within 10–15 min), and the possibility to reusable sensor.
KeywordsEscherichia coli Ampicillin Sensor based on a slot mode in acoustic delay line Express analysis of antibiotic susceptibility
This work was supported in part by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (grant nos. 19-07-00300 and 19-07-00304).
Compliance with ethical standards
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
Conflict of interest
The author declares that they have no conflict of interest.
- Antibiotic Resistance Protocols: Second Edition (2010) Gillespie SH, McHugh TD (eds.) Methods in molecular biology, vol. 642, Springer Science+Business Media, LLCGoogle Scholar
- European Medicines Agency, European Surveillance of Veterinary Antimicrobial Consumption (2017) ‘Sales of veterinary antimicrobial agents in 30 European countries in 2015’. (EMA/184855/2017)Google Scholar
- Guliy OI, Zaitsev BD, Shikhabudinov AM, Borodina IA, Larionova OS, Zhnichkova YG (2017) Determination of microbial sensitivity to polymyxin by the method of electroacoustic analysis, antibiotics and chemotherapy. 62(3–4):3–9. https://doi.org/10.24411/0235-2990-2017-00031
- Narang R, Mohammadi S, Mohammadi Ashani M, Sadabadi H, Hejazi H, HosseinZarif M & Sanati-Nezhad A (2018) Sensitive, real-time and non-intrusive detection of concentration and growth of pathogenic bacteria using microfuidic-microwave ring resonator biosensor, scientific reports| 8:15807. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-34001-w
- Nikaido H (2009) Multidrug resistance in bacteria. Annu Rev Biochem 78:119–146. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.biochem.78.082907.145923 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Riediker S, Diserens JM, Stadler RH (2001) Analysis of β-lactam antibiotics in incurred raw milk by rapid test methods and liquid chromatography coupled with electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. J Agric Food Chem 49(9):4171–4176. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010057k CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- The European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (2013) Breakpoint tables for interpretation of MICs and zone diameters. Version 3.1. http://www.eucast.org