Enhanced itaconic acid production in Yarrowia lipolytica via heterologous expression of a mitochondrial transporter MTT
- 206 Downloads
Itaconic acid, a promising platform chemical, has been applied in many fields of industrial production. As a potential candidate for itaconic acid production, Yarrowia lipolytica possesses several innate abilities such as the tolerance of low-pH and high-shear stress, fast growth rate, cultivation flexibility, and easy for genetic manipulation. Here, Y. lipolytica Po1f which was tested to show high tolerance to itaconic acid could accumulate itaconic acid (0.363 g/L) by expressing the Aspergillus terreus cis-aconitic acid decarboxylase (CAD). Then, we tried to improve the supply and transport of the immediate precursor cis-aconitic acid by overexpressing a series of genes; these results indicate that overexpression of mitochondrial cis-aconitate transporter MTT is beneficial to the itaconic acid biosynthesis in Y. lipolytica. Further culture optimization enabled 22.03 g/L of itaconic acid to be produced in bioreactors, about 60-fold improvement over the initial titer, which is the highest itaconic acid production achieved at low pH by yeast reported worldwide, to data. This study demonstrates the great potential of Y. lipolytica as an industrial platform for itaconic acid production.
KeywordsItaconic acid Yarrowia lipolytica Cis-aconitate decarboxylase Mitochondrial transporter
This study was funded by the key research and development plan of Shandong Province (2016ZDJS07A19) and the National High-tech R&D Program of China (863 Program) (2015AA021003).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Holz M, Otto C, Kretzschmar A, Yovkova V, Aurich A, Pötter M, Marx A, Barth G (2011) Overexpression of alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase in Yarrowia lipolytica and its effect on production of organic acids. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 89(5):1519–1526. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-010-2957-9 Google Scholar
- Kamzolova SV, Dedyukhina EG, Samoilenko VA, Lunina JN, Puntus IF, Allayarov RL, Chiglintseva MN, Mironov AA, Morgunov IG (2013) Isocitric acid production from rapeseed oil by Yarrowia lipolytica yeast. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 97(20):9133–9144. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-013-5182-5 Google Scholar
- Kamzolova SV, Shamin RV, Stepanova NN, Morgunov GI, Lunina JN, Allayarov RK, Samoilenko VA, Morgunov IG (2018) Fermentation conditions and media optimization for isocitric acid production from ethanol by Yarrowia lipolytica. Biomed Res Int 2018:2543210. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2543210 Google Scholar
- Wang JH, Tsai SH, Teng K (2012) Producing itaconic acid in yeast using glycerol as the substrate. US, US 8192965 B2Google Scholar
- Werpy TA, Holladay JE, White JF (2004) Top value added chemicals from biomass: I. Results of screening for potential candidates from sugars and synthesis gas. U.S. Department of Energy. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235062870. Accessed August 2004