Probiotic therapy in Helicobacter pylori infection: a potential strategy against a serious pathogen?
Helicobacter pylori is a highly prevalent human pathogen responsible for chronic inflammation of the gastric tissues, gastroduodenal ulcers, and cancer. The treatment includes a pair of antibiotics with a proton pump inhibitor PPI. Despite the presence of different treatments, the infection rate is still increasing both in developed and developing states. The challenge of treatment failure is greatly due to the resistance of H. pylori to antibiotics and its side effects. Probiotics potential to cure H. pylori infection is well-documented. Probiotics combined with conventional treatment regime appear to have great potential in eradicating H. pylori infection, therefore, provide an excellent alternative approach to manage H. pylori load and its threatening disease outcome. Notably, anti-H. pylori activity of probiotics is strain specific,therefore establishing standard guidelines regarding the dose and formulation of individual strain is inevitable. This review is focused on probiotic’s antagonism against H. pylori summarizing their three main potential aspects: their efficiency (i) as an alternative to H. pylori eradication treatment, (ii) as an adjunct to H. pylori eradication treatment and (iii) as a vaccine delivery vehicle.
KeywordsAntibiotic resistance Side effects Alternate therapy Probiotics mechanism of action Helicobacter pylori Chronic infection Lactococcus lactis Vaccine
This work was funded by the following organizations: The National Science Foundation of China (Grant numbers: 318755 and 316014489); International Science and Technology Cooperation Program of China (Grant number: 2013DFA32330); and National Science Foundation of Zhejiang Province (Grant number LY16C200002).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Armuzzi A, Cremonini F, Ojetti V, Bartolozzi F, Canducci F, Candelli M, Santarelli L, Cammarota G, De Lorenzo A, Pola P, Gasbarrini G, Gasbarrini A (2001) Effect of Lactobacillus GG supplementation on antibiotic-associated gastrointestinal side effects during Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy: a pilot study. Digestion 63:1–7CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bergonzelli GE, Granato D, Pridmore RD, Marvin-Guy LF, Donnicola D, Corthésy-Theulaz IE (2006) GroEL of Lactobacillus johnsonii La1 (NCC 533) is cell surface associated: potential role in interactions with the host and the gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori. Infect Immun 74:425–434CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Beswick EJ, Pinchuk IV, Das S, Powell DW, Reyes VE (2007) Expression of the programmed death ligand 1, B7-H1, on gastric epithelial cells after Helicobacter pylori exposure promotes development of CD4+ CD25+ FoxP3+ regulatory T cells. Infect Immun 75:4334–4341CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Blaser MJ, Berg DE (2002) H.pylori and genetic diversity and risk of human disease. J Clin Invest 2:28–37Google Scholar
- Çekin AH, Şahintürk Y, Akbay Harmandar F, Uyar S, Yolcular BO, Çekin Y (2017) Use of probiotics as an adjuvant to sequential H. pylori eradication therapy: impact on eradication rates, treatment resistance, treatment-related side effects, and patient compliance. Turk J Gastroenterol 28:3–11CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dang Y, Reinhardt JD, Zhou X, Zhang G (2014) The effect of probiotic supplementation on Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy: a meta-analysis. PLoS One 9(11):1–15Google Scholar
- de Klerk N, Maudsdotter L, Gebreegziabher H, Saroj SD, Eriksson B, Eriksson OS, Roos S, Lindén S, Sjölinder H, Jonsson AB (2016) Lactobacilli reduce Helicobacter pylori attachment to host gastric epithelial cells by inhibiting adhesion gene expression. Infect Immun 84:1526–1535CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Denev SA (2006) Role of Lactobacilli in gastrointestinal ecosystem. Bulg J Agric Sci 12(1):63–114Google Scholar
- Feng JR, Wang F, Qiu X, McFarland LV, Chen PF, Zhou R, Liu J, Zhao Q, Li J (2017) Efficacy and safety of probiotic-supplemented triple therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori in children: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65:231–238Google Scholar
- Francavilla R, Lionetti E, Castellaneta SP, Magistà AM, Maurogiovanni G, Bucci N, De Canio A, Indrio F, Cavallo L, Ierardi E, Miniello VL (2008) Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori infection in humans by Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC 55730 and effect on eradication therapy: a pilot study. Helicobacter 13:127–134CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Francavilla R, Polimeno L, Demichina A, Maurogiovanni G, Principi B, Scaccianoce G, Ierardi E, Russo F, Riezzo G, Di Leo A, Cavallo L, Francavilla A, Versalovic J (2014) Lactobacillus reuteri strain combination in Helicobacter pylori infection: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Gastroenterol 48:407–413PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Goldman CG, Barrado DA, Balcarce N, Rua EC, Oshiro M, Calcagno ML, Janjetic M, Fuda J, Weill R, Salgueiro MJ, Valencia ME, Zubillaga MB, Boccio JR (2006) Effect of a probiotic food as an adjuvant to triple therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection in children. Nutrition 10:984–988CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IARC (1994) Schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori. Vol 61. International Agency for Research on Cancer. Lyon, France: IARC Press (1994) IARC Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans pp.177–240Google Scholar
- International Agency for Research on Cancer GLOBOCAN (2012) Estimated cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2012. World Health OrganisationGoogle Scholar
- Kao CY, Sheu BS, Wu JJ (2016) Helicobacter pylori infection: an overview of bacterial virulence factors and pathogenesis. Biom J 39(1):14–23Google Scholar
- Karczewski J, Troost FJ, Konings I, Dekker J, Kleerebezem M, Brummer RJ, Wells JM (2010) Regulation of human epithelial tight junction proteins by Lactobacillus plantarumin vivo and protective effects on the epithelial barrier. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298(6):G851–G859CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lionetti E, Miniello VL, Castellaneta SP, Magista AM, de Canio A, Maurogiovanni G, Ierardi E, Cavallo L, Francavilla R (2006) Lactobacillus reuteritherapy to reduce side-effects during anti-Helicobacter pylori treatment in children: a randomized placebo controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24:1461–1468CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lv X, Song H, Yang J, Li T, Xi T, Xing Y (2014) A multi-epitope vaccine CTB-UE relieves Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric inflammatory reaction via up-regulating microRNA-155 to inhibit Th17 response in C57/BL6 mice model. Hum Vaccin Immunother 10:3561–3569CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mack DR, Michail S, Wei S, McDougall L, Hollingsworth MA (1999) Probiotics inhibit enteropathogenic E. coli adherence in vitro by inducing intestinal mucin gene expression. Am J Phys 276:G941–GG50Google Scholar
- Magistà AM, Ierardi E, Castellaneta S, Miniello VL, Lionetti E, Francavilla A, Ros P, Rigillo N, Di Leo A, Francavilla R (2005) Helicobacter pylori status and symptom assessment two years after eradication in pediatric patients from a high prevalence area. J Pediatrics Gastroenterol Nutr 40:312–318CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McNicholl AG, Molina-Infante J, Lucendo AJ, Calleja JL, Pérez-Aisa Á, Modolell I, Aldeguer X, Calafat M, Comino L, Ramas M, Callejo Á, Badiola C, Serra J, Gisbert JP (2018) Probiotic supplementation with Lactobacillus plantarum and Pediococcus acidilactici for Helicobacter pylori therapy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Helicobacter 23:e12529CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Michetti P, Dorta G, Wiesel PH, Brassart D, Verdu E, Herranz M, Felley C, Porta N, Rouvet M, Blum AL, Corthésy-Theulaz I (1999) Effect of whey-based culture supernatant of Lactobacillus acidophilus (johnsonii) La1 on Helicobacter pylori infection in humans. Digestion 60:203–209CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Myllyluoma E, Veijola L, Ahlroos T, Tynkkynen S, Kankuri E, Vapaatalo H, Rautelin H, Korpela R (2005) Probiotic supplementation improves tolerance to Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized pilot study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1263–1272CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ojetti V, Bruno G, Ainora ME, Gigante G, Rizzo G, Roccarina D, Gasbarrini A (2012) Impact of Lactobacillus reuteri supplementation on anti-Helicobacter pylori Levofloxacin-Based Second-Line Therapy. Gastroenterol Res Pract:740381Google Scholar
- Peek RM Jr, Miller GG, Tham KT, Perez-Perez GI, Zhao X, Atherton JC, Blaser MJ (1995) Heightened inflammatory response and cytokine expression in vivo to cagA/ Helicobacter pylori strains. Lab Investig 71:760–770Google Scholar
- Sgouras D, Maragkoudakis P, Petraki K, Martinez-Gonzalez B, Eriotou E, Michopoulos S, Kalantzopoulos G, Tsakalidou E, Mentis A (2004) In vitro and in vivo inhibition of Helicobacter pylori by Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota. Appl Environ Microbiol 70:518–526CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tareb R, Bernardeau M, Gueguen M, Vernoux J (2013) In vitro characterization of aggregation and adhesion properties of viable and heat-killed forms of two probiotic Lactobacillus strains and interaction with foodborne zoonotic bacteria, especially Campylobacter jejuni. J Med Microbiol 62:637–649CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Uitz E, Tonninger-Bahadori K, Nekrep K, Bahadori B (2017) The effect of Lactobacillus casei rhamnosus (LCR35) supplementation on the adherence tolerance and efficiency of Helicobacter pylori: an open-label, observational, non-intervational, multicentre pilot study. Int J Probiotics Prebiotics 12(4)Google Scholar
- Wiese M, Eljaszewicz A, Andryszczyk M, Gronek S, Gackowska L, Kubiszewska I, Kaszewski W, Helmin-Basa A, Januszewska M, Motyl I, Wieczynska J, Michalkiewicz J (2012) Immunomodulatory effects of Lactobacillous plantarum and Helicobacter pylori CagA+ on the expression of selected superficial molecules on monocyte and lymphocyte and the synthesis of cytokines in whole blood culture. J Physiol Pharmacol 63(3):217–224PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Winter JA, Letley DP, Cook KW, Rhead JL, Zaitoun AA, Ingram RJ, Amilon KR, Croxall NJ, Kaye PV, Robinson K, Atherton JC (2014) A role for the vacuolating cytotoxin, VacA, in colonization and Helicobacter pylori-induced metaplasia in the stomach. J Infect Dis 210:954–963CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zeng M, Mao XH, Li JX, Tong WD, Wang B, Zhang YJ, Guo G, Zhao ZJ, Li L, Wu DL, Lu DS, Tan ZM, Liang HY, Wu C, Li DH, Luo P, Zeng H, Zhang WJ, Zhang JY, Guo BT, Zhu FC, Zou QM (2015) Efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of an oral recombinant Helicobacter pylori vaccine in children in China: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 386:1457–1464CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar