The distribution of HLA haplotypes in the ethnic groups that make up the Brazilian Bone Marrow Volunteer Donor Registry (REDOME)
- 168 Downloads
The Registries of Bone Marrow Donors around the world include more than 30 million volunteer donors from 57 different countries, and were responsible for over 17,000 hematopoietic stem cell transplants in 2016. The Brazilian Bone Marrow Volunteer Donor Registry (REDOME) was established in 1993 and is the third largest registry in the world with more than 4.3 million donors. We characterized HLA allele and haplotypes frequencies from REDOME comparing them with the donor self-reported race group classification. Five-locus haplotype frequencies (A~C~B~DRB1~DQB1) were estimated for each of the six race groups, resolving phase and allelic ambiguity using the expectation–maximization (EM) algorithm. The top 100 haplotypes in the race groups were separated into eight clusters of haplotypes, based on haplotype similarity, using CLUTO. We present HLA allele and haplotype frequency data from six race groups from 2,938,259 individuals from REDOME. The most frequent haplotype was the same for all groups: A*01:01g~C*07:01g~B*08:01g~DRB1*03:01g~DQB1*02:01g. Some frequent haplotypes such as A*02:01g~C*16:01g~B*44:03~DRB1*07:01g~DQB1*02:01g was not found in people with Preta (Sub-Saharan African descent). A cluster including Branca (European) and Parda or non-informed (admixed) could be distinguished from both Preta (SubSaharan) and Indígena (Amerindian) groups, and from the Amarela (Asian) ones, which clustered with their original population. These results have implications on cross-population matching and can help in donor searches and population-based recruitment strategies.
KeywordsHLA Haplotypes Ethnic group Brazil
We thank Michael Wright for the critical revision and language edition of the manuscript.
This work is partly supported by a grant from Brazil Health Ministry – Transplant National System (proc. 25000.210075/2012-70). LCP was awarded as Short Period NMDP Visiting Scientist (Brazil National Research Council CNPq – proc. 453199/2015-1).
- Ayo CM, da Silveira Camargo AV, Xavier DH, Batista MF, Carneiro OA, Brandao de Mattos CC, Ricci O Jr, de Mattos LC (2015) Frequencies of allele groups HLA-A, HLA-B and HLA-DRB1 in a population from the northwestern region of Sao Paulo State, Brazil. Int J Immunogenet 42:19–25CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Carvalho MG, Tsuneto LT, Moita Neto JM, Sousa LC, Sales Filho HL, Macedo MB, Barroso JR, Pereira EM, Araujo AS, Silva AS, Monte SJ (2013) HLA-A, HLA-B and HLA-DRB1 haplotype frequencies in Piaui's volunteer bone marrow donors enrolled at the Brazilian registry. Hum Immunol 74:1598–1602CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Cooper RS (2013) Race in biological and biomedical research. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 3Google Scholar
- Dempster AP, Laird NM, Rubin DB (1977) Maximum likelihood from incomplete data via the EM algorithm. J R Stat Soc Ser B Methodol 39:38Google Scholar
- Gonzalez-Galarza FF, Takeshita LY, Santos EJ, Kempson F, Maia MH, da Silva AL, Teles e Silva AL, Ghattaoraya GS, Alfirevic A, Jones AR, Middleton D (2015) Allele frequency net 2015 update: new features for HLA epitopes, KIR and disease and HLA adverse drug reaction associations. Nucleic Acids Res 43:D784–D788CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hollenbach JA, Saperstein A, Albrecht M, Vierra-Green C, Parham P, Norman PJ, Maiers M (2015) Race, ethnicity and ancestry in unrelated transplant matching for the National Marrow Donor Program: a comparison of multiple forms of self-identification with genetics. PLoS One 10:e0135960CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- IBGE (2008) Características étnico-raciais da população : um estudo das categorias de classificação de cor ou raça. Janeiro, Rio deGoogle Scholar
- IBGE (2011) Censo Demográfico 2010. Características da População e dos Domicílios. Resultados do Universo. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatistica, Rio de JaneiroGoogle Scholar
- Ikeda N, Kojima H, Nishikawa M, Hayashi K, Futagami T, Tsujino T, Kusunoki Y, Fujii N, Suegami S, Miyazaki Y, Middleton D, Tanaka H, Saji H (2015) Determination of HLA-A, -C, -B, -DRB1 allele and haplotype frequency in Japanese population based on family study. Tissue Antigens 85:252–259CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Morishima S, Kashiwase K, Matsuo K, Azuma F, Yabe T, Sato-Otsubo A, Ogawa S, Shiina T, Satake M, Saji H, Kato S, Kodera Y, Sasazuki T, Morishima Y, Japan Marrow Donor P (2016) High-risk HLA alleles for severe acute graft-versus-host disease and mortality in unrelated donor bone marrow transplantation. Haematologica 101:491–498CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Riccio ME, Buhler S, Nunes JM, Vangenot C, Cuenod M, Currat M, Di D, Andreani M, Boldyreva M, Chambers G, Chernova M, Chiaroni J, Darke C, Di Cristofaro J, Dubois V, Dunn P, Edinur HA, Elamin N, Eliaou JF, Grubic Z, Jaatinen T, Kanga U, Kervaire B, Kolesar L, Kunachiwa W, Lokki ML, Mehra N, Nicoloso G, Paakkanen R, Voniatis DP, Papasteriades C, Poli F, Richard L, Romon Alonso I, Slavcev A, Sulcebe G, Suslova T, Testi M, Tiercy JM, Varnavidou A, Vidan-Jeras B, Wennerstrom A, Sanchez-Mazas A (2013) 16(th) IHIW: analysis of HLA population data, with updated results for 1996 to 2012 workshop data (AHPD project report). Int J Immunogenet 40:21–30PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Saloum de Neves Manta F, Pereira R, Vianna R, Rodolfo Beuttenmuller de Araujo A, Leite Goes Gitai D, Aparecida da Silva D, de Vargas Wolfgramm E, da Mota Pontes I, Ivan Aguiar J, Ozorio Moraes M, Fagundes de Carvalho E, Gusmao L (2013) Revisiting the genetic ancestry of Brazilians using autosomal AIM-Indels. PLoS One 8:e75145CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sanchez-Mazas A, Meyer D (2014) The relevance of HLA sequencing in population genetics studies. J Immunol Res 2014:971818Google Scholar
- Sanchez-Mazas A, Vidan-Jeras B, Nunes JM, Fischer G, Little AM, Bekmane U, Buhler S, Buus S, Claas FH, Dormoy A, Dubois V, Eglite E, Eliaou JF, Gonzalez-Galarza F, Grubic Z, Ivanova M, Lie B, Ligeiro D, Lokki ML, da Silva BM, Martorell J, Mendonca D, Middleton D, Voniatis DP, Papasteriades C, Poli F, Riccio ME, Vlachou MS, Sulcebe G, Tonks S, Nevessignsky MT, Vangenot C, van Walraven AM, Tiercy JM (2012) Strategies to work with HLA data in human populations for histocompatibility, clinical transplantation, epidemiology and population genetics: HLA-NET methodological recommendations. Int J Immunogenet 39:459–472 quiz 473-6CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Santos NP, Ribeiro-Rodrigues EM, Ribeiro-Dos-Santos AK, Pereira R, Gusmao L, Amorim A, Guerreiro JF, Zago MA, Matte C, Hutz MH, Santos SE (2010) Assessing individual interethnic admixture and population substructure using a 48-insertion-deletion (INSEL) ancestry-informative marker (AIM) panel. Hum Mutat 31:184–190CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar