Left and Right Atrial Function and Remodeling in Beta-Thalassaemia Major
- 33 Downloads
This study aimed to assess left (LA) and right atrial (RA) function in patients with beta-thalassaemia major. Thirty-eight patients (19 males) aged 34.5 ± 10.7 years and 43 (18 males) controls aged 30.3 ± 12.6 years (p = 0.12) were studied. The maximum RA and LA areas were measured using two-dimensional planimetry, while atrial and ventricular strain and strain rates were quantified using speckle-tracking echocardiography. Compared with controls, patients had significantly reduced LA and RA peak positive strain and total strain, and LA strain rate during ventricular systole and at atrial contraction (all p < 0.05). The LA and RA strain parameters were significantly associated (all p < 0.05). The maximum LA (10.2 ± 1.6 cm2/m2 vs. 8.6 ± 1.3 cm2/m2, p < 0.001) and RA (9.2 ± 1.2 cm2/m2 vs. 7.5 ± 1.3 cm2/m2, p < 0.001) areas were significantly greater in patients than controls. The LV and RV strain and early strain rates were similar between patients and controls (all p > 0.05). Four patients with significant myocardial iron overload had larger LA area (p < 0.001) than those without. Functional and structural remodeling of both the right and left atria occurs in patients with beta-thalassaemia major, even in the absence of ventricular diastolic dysfunction.
KeywordsBeta-thalassemia major Atrial function Strain
The Children’s Thalassaemia Foundation, Hong Kong, China.
This study is supported by the Children’s Thalassaemia Foundation, Hong Kong, China (Grant no. 2015/07).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
All of the authors declare no conflict of interest.
The review of records and echocardiographic assessment in all of the study subjects and the need to obtain informed consent, was approved by the Institutional Review Board of the University of Hong Kong/Hospital Authority Hong Kong West Cluster, Hong Kong, China, and in accordance with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
- 3.Bosi G, Crepaz R, Gamberini M, Fortini M, Scarcia S, Bonsante E, Pitscheider W, Vaccari M (2003) Left ventricular remodelling, and systolic and diastolic function in young adults with β thalassaemia major: a Doppler echocardiographic assessment and correlation with haematological data. Heart 89:762–766CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Blume GG, Mcleod CJ, Barnes ME, Seward JB, Pellikka PA, Bastiansen PM, Tsang TS (2011) Left atrial function: physiology, assessment, and clinical implications. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 12:421–430Google Scholar
- 17.Brecht A, Oertelt-Prigione S, Seeland U, Rücke M, Hättasch R, Wagelöhner T, Regitz-Zagrosek V, Baumann G, Knebel F, Stangl V (2016) Left atrial function in preclinical diastolic dysfunction: two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography-derived results from the BEFRI trial. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 29:750–758CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ari ME, Ekici F, Çetin İİ, Tavil EB, Yaralı N, Işık P, Hazırolan T, Tunç B (2017) Assessment of left ventricular functions and myocardial iron load with tissue Doppler and speckle tracking echocardiography and T2* MRI in patients with β-thalassemia major. Echocardiography 34:383–389CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Takemoto Y, Barnes ME, Seward JB, Lester SJ, Appleton CA, Gersh BJ, Bailey KR, Tsang TS (2005) Usefulness of left atrial volume in predicting first congestive heart failure in patients > or = 65 years of age with well-preserved left ventricular systolic function. Am J Cardiol 96:832–836CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Schneider C, Malisius R, Krause K, Lampe F, Bahlmann E, Boczor S, Antz M, Ernst S, Kuck KH (2008) Strain rate imaging for functional quantification of the left atrium: atrial deformation predicts the maintenance of sinus rhythm after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Eur Heart J 29:1397–1409CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Di Salvo G, Caso P, Lo Piccolo R, Fusco A, Martiniello AR, Russo MG, D’Onofrio A, Severino S, Calabró P, Pacileo G, Mininni N, Calabró R (2005) Atrial myocardial deformation properties predict maintenance of sinus rhythm after external cardioversion of recent-onset lone atrial fibrillation: a color Doppler myocardial imaging and transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiographic study. Circulation 112:387–395CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Patel DA, Lavie CJ, Milani RV, Shah S, Gilliland Y (2009) Clinical implications of left atrial enlargement: a review. Ochsner J 9:191–196Google Scholar
- 29.Pennell DJ, Udelson JE, Arai AE, Bozkurt B, Cohen AR, Galanello R, Hoffman TM, Kiernan MS, Lerakis S, Piga A, Porter JB, Walker JM, Wood J, American Heart Association Committee on Heart Failure and Transplantation of the Council on Clinical Cardiology and Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Imaging (2013) Cardiovascular function and treatment in β-thalassemia major: a consensus statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 128:281–308CrossRefGoogle Scholar