Alar base symmetrization suture in ethnic rhinoplasty
- 49 Downloads
Alar base surgery has been widely studied in modern rhinoplasty. After the equalization of the dorsum-tip relationship and the improvement of the nasolabial, nasocolumellar and nasofrontal angle, also alar base, needs to be harmonized also. Several classifications of alar base deformities have been described, as well as many techniques for correcting them. This work aims to demonstrate that alar base symmetrization suture (abss) is effective in keeping the nasal wings symmetrical immediately after alar wedges resection and also permits maintenance of the symmetrization during time. It is a simple technique to perform with long-lasting esthetic results.
Level of evidence: Level V, therapeutic study.
KeywordsEthnic Rhinoplasty Alar base Symmetry Nose
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Guilherme Barros De Monteiro Bussade, Francesco D’Andrea, Fabrizio Schonauer, Giovanni Francesco Nicoletti, and Gisella Nele declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Patients provided written consent before their inclusion in this study. Additional written consent was obtained for the use of their images.
All the procedures performed in this study were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and national Brazilian research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
(MP4 91867 kb)
- 3.Guyuron B (2012) Rhinoplasty, 1st edn. Elsevier Saunders, AtlantaGoogle Scholar
- 5.Joseph J (1931) Nasenplastik und sonstige Gesichtsplastik nebst enim AnhangU¨ ber Mamaplastik. Leipz Ger Curt Kabitzsh:110–113Google Scholar
- 6.Peck GC, Gruber R, Michelson LN (1993) Alar wedge excisions. In: Peck GC, Gruber R (eds) Rhinoplasty: state of the art. Mosby, St Louis, pp 139–150Google Scholar
- 9.Cobo R (Jun) Trends in facial plastic surgery in Latin America. Facial Plast Surg 29(3):149–153Google Scholar
- 10.Censo 2010 IBGE ( Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatistica https://censo2010.ibge.gov.br/
- 11.Hinderer KH (1971) Fundamentals of anatomy and surgery of the nose. Aesculapius Publishing, Birmingham, 54, Pp 30, 115, 151–153Google Scholar