Forehead biconvexity enhancement with fat grafting
Frontal biconvexity is a key criterion for an attractive forehead. Fat injection as an effective, safe and reliable method for soft tissue augmentation could be used to enhance forehead contour. We report our experience with combined platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and fat grafting to create or restore frontal biconvexity and to reduce wrinkles.
Fifty-seven females and 4 males (mean age, 40.2 years) underwent the combined PRP and fat injection. Fat mixed with PRP on the ratio of 5:1 was injected in small aliquots in the space between the dermis and underlying frontalis muscle. Patient satisfaction with the cosmetic result was evaluated by a questionnaire using pre- and postoperative photos and a four-point grading scale.
All patients who underwent three injection sessions (n = 5) evaluated the esthetic result as excellent. In patients who had two injection sessions (n = 36), 36% evaluated the result as excellent, 50% as good, and the remaining 5 as moderate. In patients who had a single injection session (n = 15), 27% evaluated the result as excellent, 40% as good, and the remaining 5 as moderate. Concerning frontal wrinkles, 25 of 34 (73.5%) patients reported good improvement and the remaining 9 (26.5%) reported moderate improvement.
Fat injection combined with PRP should be considered as an effective tool to improve forehead biconvexity.
Level of evidence: Level IV, therapeutic study.
KeywordsLipofilling Forehead PRP Fat grafting
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors received no financial support for the research, authorship, and publication of this article.
Conflict of Interest
Mohammadhossein Hesamirostami, Ali Modarressi Amir Lebaschi, Abbas Kazemi, and Ashtiani declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This study has been approved by local institutional board review.
All patients recognizable in pictures and figures have signed informed consent for publication of this article.
- 1.Ousterhout DK (1991) Aesthetics contouring of the craniofacial skeleton. 1st edn. Little, Brown and Co, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- 4.Isik S, Sahin I (2012) Contour restoration of the forehead by lipofilling: our experience. Aesthetic Plast Surg 36(4):761–766Google Scholar
- 7.Assaf A, Zeltzer TPL, Verpaele AM (2012) Sharp needle intradermal fat grafting (SNIF). Aesthet Surg J 32(5):554–561Google Scholar
- 10.Lam SM, Glagold MJ, Glasgold RA (2006) Complementary fat grafting. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 11.Danesh-Meyer HV, Savino PJ, Sergott RC (2001) Case reports and small case series: ocular and cerebral ischemia following facial injection of the autologous fat. Arch Ophthalamol 119(5):777–778Google Scholar