Forehead biconvexity enhancement with fat grafting

  • Mohammadhossein Hesamirostami
  • Ali ModarressiEmail author
  • Amir Lebaschi
  • Abbas Kazemi Ashtiani
Original Paper



Frontal biconvexity is a key criterion for an attractive forehead. Fat injection as an effective, safe and reliable method for soft tissue augmentation could be used to enhance forehead contour. We report our experience with combined platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and fat grafting to create or restore frontal biconvexity and to reduce wrinkles.


Fifty-seven females and 4 males (mean age, 40.2 years) underwent the combined PRP and fat injection. Fat mixed with PRP on the ratio of 5:1 was injected in small aliquots in the space between the dermis and underlying frontalis muscle. Patient satisfaction with the cosmetic result was evaluated by a questionnaire using pre- and postoperative photos and a four-point grading scale.


All patients who underwent three injection sessions (n = 5) evaluated the esthetic result as excellent. In patients who had two injection sessions (n = 36), 36% evaluated the result as excellent, 50% as good, and the remaining 5 as moderate. In patients who had a single injection session (n = 15), 27% evaluated the result as excellent, 40% as good, and the remaining 5 as moderate. Concerning frontal wrinkles, 25 of 34 (73.5%) patients reported good improvement and the remaining 9 (26.5%) reported moderate improvement.


Fat injection combined with PRP should be considered as an effective tool to improve forehead biconvexity.

Level of evidence: Level IV, therapeutic study.


Lipofilling Forehead PRP Fat grafting 


Compliance with ethical standards


The authors received no financial support for the research, authorship, and publication of this article.

Conflict of Interest

Mohammadhossein Hesamirostami, Ali Modarressi Amir Lebaschi, Abbas Kazemi, and Ashtiani declare that they have no conflict of interest.

Ethical approval

This study has been approved by local institutional board review.

Informed consent

All patients recognizable in pictures and figures have signed informed consent for publication of this article.

Supplementary material

238_2018_1489_MOESM1_ESM.jpg (63 kb)
ESM 1 (JPG 63 kb)
238_2018_1489_MOESM2_ESM.jpg (61 kb)
ESM 2 (JPG 61 kb)


  1. 1.
    Ousterhout DK (1991) Aesthetics contouring of the craniofacial skeleton. 1st edn. Little, Brown and Co, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Altman K (2012) Facial feminization surgery: current state of the art. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 41(8):885–894CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Guyuron B, Lee M (2014) A reappraisal of surgical techniques and efficacy in forehead rejuvenation. Plast Reconstr Surg 134(3):426–435CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Isik S, Sahin I (2012) Contour restoration of the forehead by lipofilling: our experience. Aesthetic Plast Surg 36(4):761–766Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    Bucky LP, Kanchwala SK (2007) The role of autologous fat and alternative fillers in the aging face. Plast Reconstr Surg 120(6 Suppl):89S–97SCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Modarressi A (2013) Platelet rich plasma (PRP) improves fat grafting outcomes. World J Plast Surg 2(1):6–13PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Assaf A, Zeltzer TPL, Verpaele AM (2012) Sharp needle intradermal fat grafting (SNIF). Aesthet Surg J 32(5):554–561Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    Ryeung Park Y, Choi J, Yoon La T (2013) Periorbital lipgranuloma after cryopreserved autologous fat injection at forehead: unexpected complication of a popular cosmetic procedure. Can J Ophthalmol 48(6):e166–e168CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  9. 9.
    Kornstein AN, Nikfarjam JS (2015) Fat grafting to the forehead/glabella/radix complex and pyriform aperture: aesthetic and anti-aging implications. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 3(8):e500CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  10. 10.
    Lam SM, Glagold MJ, Glasgold RA (2006) Complementary fat grafting. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
  11. 11.
    Danesh-Meyer HV, Savino PJ, Sergott RC (2001) Case reports and small case series: ocular and cerebral ischemia following facial injection of the autologous fat. Arch Ophthalamol 119(5):777–778Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature 2019

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic SurgeryMazandaran University of Medical SciencesSariIran
  2. 2.Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic SurgeryUniversity Hospitals of Geneva, University of GenevaGeneva 14Switzerland
  3. 3.Scott Rodeo Lab for Soft Tissue ResearchHospital for Special SurgeryNew YorkUSA
  4. 4.Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic SurgeryIran University of Medical Sciences (IUMS)TehranIran

Personalised recommendations