Monodromy and vanishing cycles in toric surfaces
- 87 Downloads
Given an ample line bundle on a toric surface, a question of Donaldson asks which simple closed curves can be vanishing cycles for nodal degenerations of smooth curves in the complete linear system. This paper provides a complete answer. This is accomplished by reformulating the problem in terms of the mapping class group-valued monodromy of the linear system, and giving a precise determination of this monodromy group.
The author would like to extend his warmest thanks to R. Crétois and L. Lang for helpful discussions of their work. He would also like to acknowledge C. McMullen for some insightful comments on a preliminary draft, and M. Nichols for a productive conversation. A special thanks is due to an anonymous referee for a very careful reading of the preprint and for many useful suggestions, both mathematical and expository.
- 3.Crétois, R., Lang, L.: The Vanishing Cycles of Curves in Toric Surfaces I. Preprint. arXiv:1701.00608v2.pdf (2017)
- 4.Crétois, R., Lang, L.: The Vanishing Cycles of Curves in Toric Surfaces II. Preprint. arXiv:1706.07252.pdf (2017)
- 5.Dieudonné, J.: Sur les groupes classiques. Hermann, Paris (1973). Troisième édition revue et corrigée, Publications de l’Institut de Mathématique de l’Université de Strasbourg, VI, Actualités Scientifiques et Industrielles, No. 1040Google Scholar
- 6.Donaldson, S.: Polynomials, vanishing cycles and Floer homology. In: Mathematics: Frontiers and Perspectives, pp. 55–64. American Mathematical Society, Providence (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Farb, B., Margalit, D.: A Primer on Mapping Class Groups, Volume 49 of Princeton Mathematical Series. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Grove, L.C.: Classical Groups and Geometric Algebra, Volume 39 of Graduate Studies in Mathematics. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Johnson, D.: A survey of the Torelli group. In: Low-Dimensional Topology (San Francisco, Calif., 1981), Volume 20 of Contemporary Mathematics, pp. 165–179. American Mathematical Society, Providence (1983)Google Scholar
- 17.Salter, N.: On the Monodromy Group of the Family of Smooth Plane Curves. Preprint. arXiv:1610.04920.pdf (2016)