Stable Cosmological Kaluza–Klein Spacetimes
- 10 Downloads
We consider the Einstein flow on a product manifold with one factor being a compact quotient of 3-dimensional hyperbolic space without boundary and the other factor being a flat torus of fixed arbitrary dimension. We consider initial data symmetric with respect to the toroidal directions. We obtain effective Einsteinian field equations coupled to a wave map type and a Maxwell type equation by the Kaluza–Klein reduction. The Milne universe solves those field equations when the additional parts arising from the toroidal dimensions are chosen constant. We prove future stability of the Milne universe within this class of spacetimes, which establishes stability of a large class of cosmological Kaluza–Klein vacua. A crucial part of the proof is the implementation of a new gauge for Maxwell-type equations in the cosmological context, which we refer to as slice-adapted gauge.
Open access funding provided by Austrian Science Fund (FWF). We thank the anonymous referee for his remarks and suggestions that helped to improve the paper. D.F. has been supported by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) project P29900-N27 Geometric Transport equations and the non-vacuum Einstein flow. V.B. gratefully acknowledges the support of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) through the project P30749-N35 Geometric variational problems from string theory.
- AMa.Andersson, L., Moncrief, V.: Elliptic–hyperbolic systems and the Einstein equations. Ann. Henri Poincaré 4 (2003)Google Scholar
- AF17.Andersson, L., Fajman, D.: Nonlinear Stability of the Milne Model with Matter. arXiv:1709.00267 (2017)
- CK.Christodoulou, D., Klainerman, S.: The global nonlinear stability of the Minskowski spaceGoogle Scholar
- CM.Choquet-Bruhat, Y., Moncrief, V.: Future global in time einsteinian spacetimes with U(1) isometry group. Ann. Henri Poincaré 2 (2001)Google Scholar
- CH09.Choquet-Bruhat, Y.: General Relativity and the Einstein equations. Oxford Mathematical Monographs. Oxford Science PublicationsGoogle Scholar
- FK15.Fajman, D., Kröncke, K.: Stable fixed points of the Einstein flow with a positive cosmological constant to appear in Commun. Geom. Anal.Google Scholar
- LR.Lindblad, H., Rodnianski, I.: The global stability of Minkowski space-time in harmonic gauge. Ann. Math. 2, 171 (2010)Google Scholar
- Po05.Polchinski J.: String Theory, Volume I, An Introduction to the bosonic string. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Re.Rendall, A.D.: Partial Differential Equations in General Relativity. Oxford Graduate Texts in Mathematics (2008)Google Scholar
- RS18b.Rodnianski, I., Speck J.: On the nature of Hawking’s incompleteness for the Einstein-vacuum equations: the regime of moderately spatially anisotropic initial data. arXiv:1804.06825 (2018)
- Wy.Wyatt, Z.: The Weak Null Condition and Kaluza–Klein Spacetimes. arXiv:1706.00026 (2017)
OpenAccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.