Development of a heart-cutting supercritical fluid chromatography-high-performance liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry for the determination of four tobacco-specific nitrosamines in mainstream smoke
This paper proposed a newly developed heart-cutting two-dimensional supercritical fluid chromatography-high-performance liquid chromatography system coupled to tandem mass spectrometry (SFC-HPLC-MS/MS) for the determination of four tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) in cigarette mainstream smoke. The orthogonality of five SFC columns and two HPLC columns was evaluated. The 1-AA column was applied for the first dimensional (1D) SFC separation to isolate the target compounds from the complex cigarette smoke matrices, and a trapping column in conjunction with an isocratic pump was employed to capture the 1D elutes. Then, the trapped 1D elutes were transferred into the C18 column through a two-position/six-port valve for the second dimensional (2D) analysis. The ion suppression was significantly reduced by the established SFC-HPLC system; meanwhile, the matrix interferences were eliminated as the results demonstrated. A dynamic range between 0.1 and 20 ng/mL was achieved with LOQs of 0.72 μg/cig for N-nitrosonornicotine (NNN), 0.66 μg/cig for nicotine-derived nitrosamine ketone (NNK), 0.81 μg/cig for N-nitrosoanatabine (NAT), and 0.39 μg/cig for N-nitrosoanabasine (NAB). All the results revealed that the presented method exhibited good repeatabilities and recoveries and could be used as a rapid and reliable approach for routine analysis of TSNAs in mainstream smoke.
KeywordsTwo-dimensional Supercritical fluid chromatography High-performance liquid chromatography Tobacco-specific nitrosamines Mainstream smoke
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.El-bayoumy K, Iatropoulos M, Amin S, Hoffmann D, Wynder EL. Increased expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in rat lung tumors induced by the tobacco-specific nitrosamine 4-(methylnitrosamino)-4-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone: the impact of a high-fat diet. Cancer Res. 1999;59:1400–3.Google Scholar
- 7.Determination of tobacco specific nitrosamines in cigarette mainstream smoke - GC-TEA method. CORESTA. 2005. https://www.coresta.org/sites/default/files/technical_documents/main/CRM_63.pdf. Accessed 15 Nov 2018.
- 10.Wagner KA, Finkel NH, Fossett JE, Gillman IG. Development of a quantitative method for the analysis of tobacco-specific nitrosamines in mainstream cigarette smoke using isotope dilution liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 2005;77:1001–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Yao C, Yang W, Wu W, Da J, Hou J, Zhang J, et al. Simultaneous quantitation of five Panax notoginseng saponins by multi heart-cutting two-dimensional liquid chromatography: method development and application to the quality control of eight Notoginseng containing Chinese patent medicines. J Chromatogr A. 2015;1402:71–81.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Qi D, Fei T, Liu H, Yao H, Wu D, Liu B. Development of multiple heart-cutting two-dimensional liquid chromatography coupled to quadrupole-orbitrap high resolution mass spectrometry for simultaneous determination of aflatoxin B1, B2, G1, G1, and ochratoxin A in snus, a smokeless tobacco product. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:9923–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Determination of Tobacco Specific Nitrosamines in Tobacco and Tobacco Products by LC-MS/MS. CORESTA. 2017. https://www.coresta.org/sites/default/files/technical_documents/main/CRM_72-July2017.pdf. Accessed 15 Nov 2018.