Pullulan reduces the non-specific amplification of loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) has been developed as a versatile method for nucleic acid analysis in many applications. However, non-specific LAMP leading to false-positive outcomes has been observed frequently. To solve this problem, we selected six molecules as the additives for evaluating their effects on the improvement of the LAMP specificity. Experimental results show that bovine serum albumin (BSA) and DL-dithiothreitol (DTT) have negative effects on the LAMP specificity; dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), tetramethylene sulfoxide (TMSO), and glycerol could inhibit the non-specific LAMP moderately. Surprisingly, pullulan shows an ability to inhibit the non-specific amplification of LAMP significantly without affecting the sample amplification of LAMP, and this inhibitory effect is concentration dependent. Thus, pullulan could be considered as the most promising additive to improve the amplification specificity in the LAMP-based detection and analysis of nucleic acids.
KeywordsLAMP Specificity Pullulan Additive
This study received financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 31670821).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Nakiyingi L, Nakanwagi P, Briggs J, Agaba T, Mubiru F, Mugenyi M, et al. Performance of loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in a high prevalence TB/HIV rural setting in Uganda. BMC Infect Dis. 2018;18(1):87. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-018-2992-1. CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Zou D, Huang S, Lei H, Yang Z, Su Y, He X, et al. Sensitive and rapid detection of the plasmid-encoded colistin-resistance gene mcr-1 in Enterobacteriaceae isolates by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. Front Microbiol. 2017;8:2356. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2017.02356.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Minnucci G, Amicarelli G, Salmoiraghi S, Spinelli O, Guinea Montalvo ML, Giussani U, et al. A novel, highly sensitive and rapid allele-specific loop-mediated amplification assay for the detection of the JAK2V617F mutation in chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms. Haematologica. 2012;97(9):1394.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hsieh K, Mage PL, Csordas AT, Eisenstein M, Soh HT. Simultaneous elimination of carryover contamination and detection of DNA with uracil-DNA-glycosylase-supplemented loop-mediated isothermal amplification (UDG-LAMP). Chem Commun (Camb). 2014;50(28):3747–9. https://doi.org/10.1039/c4cc00540f.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Karthik K, Rathore R, Thomas P, Arun TR, Viswas KN, Dhama K, et al. New closed tube loop mediated isothermal amplification assay for prevention of product cross-contamination. Methods. 2014;1:137–43.Google Scholar