Superhydrophilic molecularly imprinted polymers based on a single cross-linking monomer for the recognition of iridoid glycosides in Di-huang pills
An efficient analytical method based on molecularly imprinted solid-phase extraction (MISPE) coupled with high-performance liquid chromatography-diode array detection (HPLC-DAD) was established for the determination of iridoid glycosides (IGs) in Di-huang pills. As the solid-phase extraction medium, superhydrophilic molecularly imprinted polymers (MIPs) with high affinity and selectivity to IGs in water media were fabricated using divinyl galactose as a single cross-linking monomer. The structure, porosity, and hydrophilicity of MIPs were characterized. The properties involving dynamic adsorption, kinetic adsorption, and selectivity were evaluated. Under optimal conditions the MISPE-HPLC-DAD based method was applied for loganin, morroniside, cornin, and sweroside determination in three kinds of Di-huang pills. The limits of detection of four IGs were 0.002–0.003 mg g−1. Furthermore, the proposed method exhibited some merits including good linearity, excellent precision, and desirable accuracy. The established MISPE-HPLC-DAD method has great potential for the selective determination of IGs in Chinese patent drugs.
KeywordsSuperhydrophilic molecularly imprinted polymers Single cross-linking monomer Solid-phase extraction Iridoid glycosides Di-huang pills
Financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 81603286), the Key Science and Technology Program of Shandong (No. 2016GSF202033), the Natural Science Foundation of Shandong (ZR2016YL006), the Priority Research Program of the Shandong Academy of Sciences (Lanping Guo), and the Shandong Province Taishan Scholar Program (Lanping Guo) are acknowledged.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 10.Guo P, Yuan X, Zhang J, Wang B, Sun X, Chen X, et al. Dummy-surface molecularly imprinted polymers as a sorbent of micro-solid-phase extraction combined with dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction for determination of five 2-phenylpropionic acid NSAIDs in aquatic environmental samples. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2018;410:373–89.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. Chinese pharmacopoeia, vol. I. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House; 2015. p. 704–−705.Google Scholar
- 19.Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. Chinese pharmacopoeia, vol. I. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House; 2015. p. 775–−777.Google Scholar
- 20.Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. Chinese pharmacopoeia, vol. I. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House; 2015. p. 935–−936.Google Scholar
- 23.Yang L, Wang Y, Wang L, Xiao H, Wang Z, Hu Z. Rapid quantification of iridoid glycosides analogues in the formulated Chinese medicine Longdan Xiegan decoction using high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectromentry. J Chromatogr A. 2009;1216:2098–103.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Zhao M, Tao J, Qian D, Liu P, Shang E, Jiang S, et al. Simultaneous determination of loganin, morroniside, catalpol and acteoside in normal and chronic kidney disease rat plasma by UPLC–MS for investigating the pharmacokinetics of Rehmannia glutinosa and Cornus officinalis Sieb drug pair extract. J Chromatogr B. 2016;1009–1010:122–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Yao C, Yang W, Wu W, Da J, Hou J, Zhang J, et al. Simultaneous quantitation of five Panax notoginseng saponins by multi heart-cutting two-dimensional liquid chromatography: method development and application to the quality control of eight Notoginseng containing Chinese patent medicines. J Chromatogr A. 2015;1402:71–81.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Ji W, Zhang M, Liu W, Wang X, Duan W, Xie H, et al. Development of hydrophilic magnetic molecularly imprinted polymers by directly coating onto Fe3O4 with a water-miscible functional monomer and application in a solid-phase extraction procedure for iridoid glycosides. RSC Adv. 2016;6:50487–96.CrossRefGoogle Scholar