Ultra turrax® tube drive for the extraction of pesticides from egg and milk samples
The Ultra turrax® tube drive, already successfully applied for the extraction of plant materials, has also proved to be suitable for the analysis of pesticides in eggs and milk. In comparison to the matrix solid-phase dispersion (MSPD), the extraction is less time-consuming at excellent extraction efficiency. Further advantages are the flexibility of the extraction conditions with respect to the pH value and water activity. So, even strongly acidic pesticides such as phenoxy carboxylic acids can be extracted. Eighty-nine GC-amenable and 75 LC-amenable pesticides, which had been detected successfully in whole chicken eggs following MSPD extraction and further processing according to Hildmann et al., could also be analyzed with the modified method. In addition, the analysis spectrum could be expanded by 4 GC- and 37 LC-amenable substances. Of the 208 pesticides tested, 205 substances could be detected in whole chicken eggs. Similar excellent results were achieved for the milk matrix. Furthermore, the modified extraction method allows a determination of the fat content from the same analysis approach.
KeywordsPesticides Ultra turrax®tube drive MSPD Egg Milk GC-MS/MS LC-MS/MS
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.German Official Collection of Methods of Analysis pursuant to § 64 LFGB, L 00.00-34.Google Scholar
- 2.Anastassiades M, Lehotay SJ, Stajhbaher D, Schenk FJ. Fast and easy multi residue method employing acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and “dispersive solid-phase extraction” for the determination of pesticide residues in produce. J AOAC. 2003;86(2):412–31.Google Scholar
- 11.Rasche C, Fournes B, Dirks U, Speer K. Multi-residue pesticide analysis (gas chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry detection) - improvement of the quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe method for dried fruits and fat-rich cereals—benefit and limit of a standardized apple purée calibration (screening). J Chrom A. 2015;1403:21–31.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Analytical quality control and method validation procedures for pesticide residues analysis in food and feed, Document No SANTE/2015/11945.Google Scholar
- 13.Souci SW, Fachmann W, Kraut H. Food composition and nutrition tables. 2016; ISBN 978-3-8047-5072-2.Google Scholar