Simultaneous determination of amantadine and rimantadine in feed by liquid chromatography-Qtrap mass spectrometry with information-dependent acquisition
A sensitive method for simultaneous determination of amantadine and rimantadine in feed was developed using an ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography-triple quadrupole linear ion trap mass spectrometry (UHPLC-Qtrap-MS) in the multiple reaction monitoring information-dependent acquisition-enhanced product ion (MRM-IDA-EPI) mode, and employing the mixed cation exchange (MCX) solid-phase extraction column as sample cleanup and amantadine-d15 and rimantadine-d4 as internal standards, respectively. Compared to traditional MRM mode, for the targeted drugs in feed simultaneously both the secondary mass spectra and MRM information can be obtained using UHPLC-Qtrap-MS with MRM-IDA-EPI mode, and thus more accurate qualitative confirmation results achieved even at lower concentration of 0.2 μg/L in acceptable purity fit values. After optimization of sample preparation, good linearities (R > 0.9994) were obtained over the concentration range from 1 to 200 μg/L for amantadine and rimantadine. The precision was validated by intra-day and inter-day, and the relative standard deviations were all within 9.61%. Mean recoveries ranged from 76.1 to 112% at spiked concentrations of 0.5–100 μg/kg in three types of feed samples, including formula feed and complex concentrated feed for pigs and premix feed for chicken. The limits of detection (LODs) and quantification (LOQs) were 0.2 and 0.5 μg/kg for both drugs, respectively. The application in real feed samples further proved the accuracy and reliability of the developed method. This method provides an important tool to detect illegal uses of amantadine and rimantadine in feed.
KeywordsAmantadine Rimantadine Feed Solid-phase extraction Liquid chromatography-triple Qtrap mass spectrometry
This work was supported by Central Public-interest Scientific Institution Basal Research Fund (Nos. Y2017JC46 and 1610072016003) and the Special Fund for Agro-scientific Research in the Public Interest (201203023).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Sun L, Zhang L, Qian XU, Wang X, Wang SH. Research development of toxicity and residue detection methods of florfenicol. Chin J Veter Drug. 2009;43(6):49–52.Google Scholar
- 5.Vitomir Ć, Silva D, Biljana A, Sanja Č. The significance of rational use of drugs in veterinary medicine for food safety. Tehnologija Mesa. 2011;52(1):74–9.Google Scholar
- 6.Ministry of Agriculture of P.R. China. The abolished directory of local standards for veterinary drugs. Announcement No. 560th, 2005.Google Scholar
- 12.Yan H, Liu X, Cui F, Yun H, Li J, Ding S, et al. Determination of amantadine and rimantadine in chicken muscle by QuEChERS pretreatment method and UHPLC coupled with LTQ Orbitrap mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B. 2013;938(9):8–13.Google Scholar
- 16.Tsuruoka Y, Nakajima T, Kanda M, Hayashi H, Matsushima Y, Yoshikawa S, et al. Simultaneous determination of amantadine, rimantadine, and memantine in processed products, chicken tissues, and eggs by liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B. 2017;1044−1045:142.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.VdH FA, Teeuwsen J, Holthuis JJ, Brinkman UA. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of amantadine in urine after micelle-mediated pre-column derivatization with 1-fluoro-2,4-dinitrobenzene. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1990;8(8–12):799–804.Google Scholar
- 20.Stubbings G, Bigwood T. The development and validation of a multiclass liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC–MS/MS) procedure for the determination of veterinary drug residues in animal tissue using a QuEChERS (quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged and safe) approach. Anal Chim Acta. 2009;637(1):68–78.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Xing Y, Meng W, Sun W, Li D, Yu Z, Tong L, et al. Simultaneous qualitative and quantitative analysis of 21 mycotoxins in Radix Paeoniae Alba by ultra-high performance liquid chromatography quadrupole linear ion trap mass spectrometry and QuEChERS for sample preparation. J Chromatogr B. 2016;1031:202–13.CrossRefGoogle Scholar