A novel optical approach for determination of prolactin based on Pr-MOF nanofibers
- 200 Downloads
The analytical quantification and follow-up of the hormone prolactin is very important in clinical diagnosis (e.g., in cases of breast cancer), treatment, and the medical laboratory. The development of a new simple, fast, and less costly method is of considerable importance. Novel praseodymium metal–organic framework nanofibers (Pr-MOF-NFs) were synthesized by a facile and simple method for the determination of human prolactin in serum samples. The Pr-MOF-NFs were well characterized with several spectroscopic tools, such as mass spectrometry, Fourier transform IR spectroscopy, UV–vis spectroscopy, elemental analysis, X-ray diffraction, field-emission scanning electron microscopy combined with energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, and high-resolution transmission electron microscopy. The photoluminescence of Pr-MOF-NFs was investigated, and the results revealed that Pr-MOF-NFs could be used as a sensitive and selective nanofiber optical sensor for the detection of human prolactin. The calibration graph was studied over a wide prolactin concentration range of 0–200 ng/mL, with limits of detection and quantitation of 0.276 and 0.838 ng/mL, respectively, lower than the values mentioned in previous reports. The correlation coefficient was 0.9792. Moreover, the Pr-MOF-NFs were applied successfully for the detection of serum human prolactin at clinically applicable concentrations without interference from several types of hormones and various interfering analytes.
KeywordsNanofibers Praseodymium Metal–organic frameworks Photoluminescence Optical approach Prolactin
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
The human serum samples used in this study were provided by the Family Medical Laboratory, Ministry of Health, Cairo, Egypt. Informed consent was obtained. The studies were approved by the appropriate ethics committee (Ministry of Health, Egypt) and were performed in accordance with ethical standards. We did not use the samples in any research involving human participants or research involving physical interventions on study participants or involving processing of personal data but conducted the research according to the method described in the article.
- 7.Manisha J, Sunil R, Uma S, Vimal B. Prolactin: an emerging prognostic marker in breast cancer. Int J Health Sci Res. 2017;7(8):82–6.Google Scholar
- 14.Serafín V, Martínez-García G, Agüí L, Yáñez-Sedeño P, Pingarrón JM. Multiplexed determination of human growth hormone and prolactin at a label free electrochemical immunosensor using dual carbon nanotube–screen printed electrodes modified with gold and PEDOT nanoparticles. Analyst. 2014;139(18):4556–63.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Hu X, Zhang H, Chen S, Yuan R, You J. A signal-on electrochemiluminescence sensor for clenbuterol detection based on zinc-based metal-organic framework–reduced graphene oxide–CdTe quantum dot hybrids. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2018;410(30):7881–90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-018-1404-0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Ling W, Liew G, Li Y, Hao Y, Pan H, Wang H, et al. Materials and techniques for implantable nutrient sensing using flexible sensors integrated with metal–organic frameworks. Adv Mater. 2018;30(23):1–9.Google Scholar
- 39.International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use. ICH harmonised tripartite guideline. Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2(R1). London: International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use; 2005.Google Scholar
- 47.DIAsource ImmunoAssays. DIAsource - PRL, ELISA, 96 tests. http://www.diasource-diagnostics.com/IVD-Products/ImmunoAssays/Fertility/Prolactin-PRL/PRL-ELISA-96-tests (2018). Accessed Oct 2018.
- 48.BioVendor. Prolactin human ELISA | BioVendor. https://www.biovendor.com/prolactin-human-elisa (2018). Accessed Oct 2018.
- 49.MyBioSource.com. PRL elisa kit | prolactin ELISA kit-CAA38264.1. https://www.mybiosource.com/prods/ELISA-Kit/Prolactin/PRL/datasheet.php?products_id=590032 (2018). Accessed Oct. 2018.