Microdosing psychedelics: personality, mental health, and creativity differences in microdosers
- 3.2k Downloads
Microdosing psychedelics—the regular consumption of small amounts of psychedelic substances such as LSD or psilocybin—is a growing trend in popular culture. Recent studies on full-dose psychedelic psychotherapy reveal promising benefits for mental well-being, especially for depression and end-of-life anxiety. While full-dose therapies include perception-distorting properties, microdosing mayprovide complementary clinical benefits using lower-risk, non-hallucinogenic doses.
This pre-registered study aimed to investigate whether microdosing psychedelics is related to differences in personality, mental health, and creativity.
In this observational study, respondents recruited from online forums self-reported their microdosing behaviors and completed questionnaires concerning dysfunctional attitudes, wisdom, negative emotionality, open-mindedness, and mood. Respondents also performed the Unusual Uses Task to assess their creativity.
Current and former microdosers scored lower on measures of dysfunctional attitudes (p < 0.001, r = − 0.92) and negative emotionality (p = 0.009, r = − 0.85) and higher on wisdom (p < 0.001, r = 0.88), openmindedness(p = 0.027, r = 0.67), and creativity (p < 0.001, r = 0.15) when compared to non-microdosing controls.
These findings provide promising initial evidence that warrants controlled experimental research to directly test safety and clinical efficacy. As microdoses are easier to administer than full-doses, this new paradigm has the exciting potential to shape future psychedelic research.
KeywordsMicrodosing Psychedelic LSD Psilocybin Creativity Dysfunctional Attitudes Wisdom Open Mindedness Negative Emotionality Preregistered
Compliance with ethical standards
Human participation was voluntary under informed consent, in accord with the Declaration of Helsinki, and was non-remunerative.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Adler AD, Strunk DR, Fazio RH (2015) What changes in cognitive therapy for depression? An examination of cognitive therapy skills and maladaptive beliefs. Behav Ther 46(1). Special series: advances in evidence-based intervention and assessment practices for youth with an autism spectrum disorder):96–109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2014.09.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Anderson T, Petranker R, Dinh-Williams L-A (2017) Demography of microdosing community survey. Available at: https://osf.io/g5cwy/ (accessed 6 July 2018)
- Anderson T, Christopher A, Petranker R, et al. (2018) Benefits and drawbacks of microdosing psychedelics. Manuscript in preparation. Available at: osf.io/g5cwyGoogle Scholar
- Carbonaro TM, Bradstreet MP, Barrett FS, MacLean KA, Jesse R, Johnson MW, Griffiths RR (2016) Survey study of challenging experiences after ingesting psilocybin mushrooms: acute and enduring positive and negative consequences. J Psychopharmacol 30(12):1268–1278. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269881116662634 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Carhart-Harris RL, Roseman L, Bolstridge M, Demetriou L, Pannekoek JN, Wall MB, Tanner M, Kaelen M, McGonigle J, Murphy K, Leech R, Curran HV, Nutt DJ (2017) Psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression: fMRI-measured brain mechanisms. Sci Rep 7(1):13187. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-13282-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Domínguez-Clavé E, Soler J, Elices M, Pascual JC, Álvarez E, de la Fuente Revenga M, Friedlander P, Feilding A, Riba J (2016) Ayahuasca: pharmacology, neuroscience and therapeutic potential. Brain Res Bull 126(Pt 1):89–101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresbull.2016.03.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dos Santos RG, Osório FL, Crippa JAS et al (2016) Antidepressive, anxiolytic, and antiaddictive effects of ayahuasca, psilocybin and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD): a systematic review of clinical trials published in the last 25 years. Ther Adv Psychopharmacol 6(3):193–213. https://doi.org/10.1177/2045125316638008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fadiman J (2011) The psychedelic explorer’s guide. Park Street Press, RochesterGoogle Scholar
- Griffiths RR, Johnson MW, Carducci MA, Umbricht A, Richards WA, Richards BD, Cosimano MP, Klinedinst MA (2016) Psilocybin produces substantial and sustained decreases in depression and anxiety in patients with life-threatening cancer: a randomized double-blind trial. J Psychopharmacol 30(12):1181–1197. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269881116675513 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grinspoon L, Bakalar JB (1979) Psychedelic drugs reconsidered. Basic Books, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Jarrett RB, Minhajuddin A, Borman PD, Dunlap L, Segal ZV, Kidner CL, Friedman ES, Thase ME (2012) Cognitive reactivity, dysfunctional attitudes, and depressive relapse and recurrence in cognitive therapy responders. Behav Res Ther 50(5):280–286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2012.01.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Johnson MW, Griffiths RR, Hendricks PS, Henningfield JE (2018) The abuse potential of medical psilocybin according to the 8 factors of the Controlled Substances Act. Neuropharmacology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropharm.2018.05.012
- Leonard A (2015) How LSD microdosing became the hot new business trip. In: Rolling stone. Available at: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/how-lsd-microdosing-became-the-hot-new-business-trip-64961/ (accessed 9 July 2018)
- Martinotti G, Santacroce R, Pettorruso M, et al (2018) Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder: Etiology, Clinical Features, and Therapeutic Perspectives. Brain Sciences 8:47. https://doi.org/10.3390/brainsci8030047
- Matejka J, Glueck M, Grossman T, et al. (2016) The effect of visual appearance on the performance of continuous sliders and visual analogue scales. In: Proceedings of the 2016 CHI conference on human factors in computing systems, New York, NY, USA, 2016, pp. 5421–5432. CHI ‘16. ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2858036.2858063
- Rosenbaum D, Weissman C, Hapke E, et al. (2018) Microdosing psychedelic substances: demographics, psychiatric comorbidities, and comorbid substance use. Manuscript in preparation. Manuscript submitted for publication. Available at: osf.io/g5cwyGoogle Scholar
- Ross S, Bossis A, Guss J, Agin-Liebes G, Malone T, Cohen B, Mennenga SE, Belser A, Kalliontzi K, Babb J, Su Z, Corby P, Schmidt BL (2016) Rapid and sustained symptom reduction following psilocybin treatment for anxiety and depression in patients with life-threatening cancer: a randomized controlled trial. J Psychopharmacol 30(12):1165–1180. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269881116675512 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silvia PJ, Winterstein BP, Willse JT, Barona CM, Cram JT, Hess KI, Martinez JL, Richard CA (2008) Assessing creativity with divergent thinking tasks: exploring the reliability and validity of new subjective scoring methods. Psychol Aesthet Creat Arts 2(2):68–85. https://doi.org/10.1037/1931-3822.214.171.124 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Solon O (2016) Under pressure, Silicon Valley workers turn to LSD microdosing. Wired UK, 24 August. Available at: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/lsd-microdosing-drugs-silicon-valley (accessed 9 July 2018)
- Soto CJ, John OP (2017) The next Big Five Inventory (BFI-2): Developing and assessing a hierarchical model with 15 facets to enhance bandwidth, fidelity, and predictive power. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 113:117–143. https://doi.org/10.1037/pspp0000096
- Strassman RJ (2016) DMT: the spirit molecule: a doctor’s revolutionary research into the biology of near-death and mystical experiences. Inner Traditions, RochesterGoogle Scholar
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics (2011) International standard classification of education (ISCED) 2011. Available at: http://uis.unesco.org/sites/default/files/documents/international-standard-classification-of-education-isced-2011-en.pdf
- Waldman A (2017) A really good day: how microdosing made a mega difference in my mood, my marriage, and my life, 1st edn. Knopf, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Weissman AN, Beck AT (1978) Development and validation of the dysfunctional attitude scale. Paper presented at the Annual meeting of the Association for the Advanced Behavior Therapy, Chicago, November.Google Scholar